Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Insurance claim advice please

Options
  • 18-01-2019 8:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 18

My car was hit while stationary at lights early in Jan 2019. I was shunted into car in front which was damaged too. The driver that hit me has accepted responsibility for my car and the car I was shunted into - this confirmed by his insurance.

My (151D) car was 3 years old when I bought it in May 2018 , I paid 18,400 for it. I had intended to keep it 3 or 4 years but I have only owned it for 7 months.

The garage assessing it for repair have estimated cost of repair at 12,000.

My questions are:

1 Is the insurer likely to repair or write off

2 If they repair I assume it hugely devalues the car making it harder to sell.

3 Will the repair show up on Motorcheck and similar

As well as the loss of the car I lost several days work and was in pain for several days. No serious injury.

Any advice?

Should I refer the matter to solicitor?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 242 ✭✭treascon

Given the figures quoted I imagine they will write your car off on a beyond economic repair basis. They will then offer you a pre accident value. Regarding your loss of earnings, provided you supply vouching to support this and liability is not an issue these should be incorporated into your claim. There is no need to involve a solicitor if you can agree on a settlement figure with the insurer

• Registered Users Posts: 18 bshmf

Thanks for that. Have you any idea how the calculate the pre accident value?

• Registered Users Posts: 242 ✭✭treascon

The assessor would base it on the book value of the vehicle, taking into account the year, mileage, spec, condition, etc. There is normally a little room for negotiation with regards to a pre accident value but if you are a fair bit apart the insurer will expect you to obtain valuations to support whatever value you place on your vehicle

• Registered Users Posts: 18 bshmf

In the end the insurance settled at 17250. I am happy with that.

Advertisement