Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

38kWh Ioniq

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,912 ✭✭✭Mike9832

Mickeroo wrote: »
    True but the new Ioniq is going to be only a couple of grand short of the price of the e-niro/kona 64kwh models if the rumours on price are to be believed.

It's like they are doing everything in their power tto kill the car tbh, I genuinely think the Ioniq could be the fabled "EV for the people" if Hyundai wanted it to be but they clearly don't.

They could

A poor man's Tesla for the masses could of been

They've always been compliance cars

So no surprise

Hyundai Union head called EVs, a huge problem, evil he said, a disaster for jobs

That was only last year

• Registered Users Posts: 4,446 ✭✭✭McGiver

#rapidgate2
    Oh the irony. Hope the Ioniq zealots will get a bit more modest now. Kidding of course but... :)

It's a great car but I hope we can stop all the willie measuring contests and Nissan bashing. Design issues are not limited to Nissan.

KCross wrote: »
    Im still confused how its so bad considering it has active liquid cooling. The old Ioniq only had air cooling. Active liquid cooling should have enabled much better charge rates. :confused:
    Yeah but the battery will last a very long time on the other hand. Utility and comfort reduced but longevity increased. That's not a bad thing. Maybe that was the goal?

McGiver wrote: »
    #rapidgate2
    Oh the irony. Hope the Ioniq zealots will get a bit more modest now. Kidding of course but... :)

It's a great car but I hope we can stop all the willie measuring contests and Nissan bashing. Design issues are not limited to Nissan.

Slowgate maybe

Doubt the Ioniq battery is heating up like Leaf one is, it's has liquid cooling

Leaf one goes from like 20c to 50c

One reporter said his feet had become hot from underfloor heating in Leaf

Huge opportunity for VW. If they can deliver 48kW ID3 at €30k on the High volumes, with no design issues and high energy economy, it's going to be the EV version of the Beetle. And I think that's what they wanted to achieve.

• Advertisement

Huge opportunity for VW. If they can deliver 48kW ID3 at €30k on the High volumes, with no design issues and high energy economy, it's going to be the EV version of the Beetle. And I think that's what they wanted to achieve.

We would all hope so, but this is business

They'll sell just enough to meet regulations

A new improved Ioniq will be out before they ship real volume.

ID3 will be limited to 50kW charging in 48kWh model

No rocking boats

• Registered Users Posts: 12,119 ✭✭✭✭KCross

Mike9832 wrote: »
    Doubt the Ioniq battery is heating up like Leaf one is, it's has liquid cooling

That will be interesting to see. I hope Bjorn does another test in Norway where he has the temp data displayed during the charge session.
    Mike9832 wrote: »
    Leaf one goes from like 20c to 50c

One reporter said his feet had become hot from underfloor heating in Leaf

So does the Ioniq 28kWh actually. He recently showed the battery at 42°C on its first rapid during his Ioniq battery degradation video. And that was on the first rapid!

Old diesel wrote: »
    On price .

Ioniq wont be 30 k - it will be in region of 33/34 k in line with eNiro imo.

Probably.

The prices are available in the UK.

Old Ioniq - 28995 and 30795
    New Ioniq - 32950 and 34950

So a £4k price increase for the new model and extra range!

Old Ioniq resale values will be rock solid if that comes to pass here.... which of course it will

BMW didn't increase the price much for the 44 Kwh if I'm not mistaking ? but don't remember the exact figure.

I'm sure they could have increased charging power to at least 70 Kw the battery is ac cooled and I've never seen higher then 33 Deg C and at that it cools back down to 21 degrees quick enough.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,024 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

...and we can trust VW

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. EDDI, hot water cylinder, roof rails...

Public Profile active ads for slave1 (adverts.ie)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,645 ✭✭✭krissovo

samih wrote: »
    This could be intentional crippling in place to steer people for 64 kWh Kona and the I38 just inherited the trait.

This must be what is what is happening, its being software limited.

krissovo wrote: »
    This must be what is what is happening, its being software limited.

The majority of People probably won't be any wiser to the fact it charges at less power than the old Ioniq.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,237 ✭✭✭Orebro

The majority of People probably won't be any wiser to the fact it charges at less power than the old Ioniq.

Unless they're paying per min as opposed to per kWh!

Orebro wrote: »
    Unless they're paying per min as opposed to per kWh!

lol only those from an old Ioniq will notice the difference though and those aware might not buy it at all like some people here.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,237 ✭✭✭Orebro

It's an awful backwards step in fairness, I like most others had high hopes for the car. What a machine it could have been.

What they should have done was stuck with the, presumably, cheaper 28kWh battery and increased production on that and forget about this "upgrade".

They'd probably have more margin on the smaller battery, more cars being sold and happier customers.

There are only 450 Ioniq's in the country so its tiny from a numbers perspective.
    Hyundai sold twice that in long range Kona EV's this year alone! Maybe that says something... they want the higher margin EV's.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,795 ✭✭✭samih

Would make sense that Hyundai had to upgrade the car due to LG stopped making the old capacity cells. And the pack voltage had to be reduced a little bit as either the new cells were slightly thicker/liquid cooling robs space and/or the new cells have lower nominal voltage than before.

• Registered Users Posts: 65,401 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

ELM327 wrote: »
    The Ioniq28 is now going to end up being a bit of a unicorn, much better charging speeds than anything else

If I wasn't set on my next EV being a longer range one, the Ioniq28 is so far ahead of anything else at its age, battery size and price bracket, that I wouldnt rule out going back to one!

If only we had a decent charging network. But that's looking quite promising now with Ionity and others. Was pleasantly surprised that Applegreen have put in two 50kW chargers at Birdhill. With all these new chargers, in a few months time I can go nearly anywhere in Ireland without relying on any ESB chargers (provided I have destination charging)

• Registered Users Posts: 21,990 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

unkel wrote: »
    If only we had a decent charging network. But that's looking quite promising now with Ionity and others. Was pleasantly surprised that Applegreen have put in two 50kW chargers at Birdhill. With all these new chargers, in a few months time I can go nearly anywhere in Ireland without relying on any ESB chargers (provided I have destination charging)
    Have to agree.
    Been looking at this as a stopgap for a couple of years till the performance model X drop in price,
    https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/hyundai-ioniq-ev/22868326

I have the same attitude as you to charging, anything non-ecars :D:D

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,267 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Have to agree.
    Been looking at this as a stopgap for a couple of years till the performance model X drop in price,

Ah Jaysus, and it took so long to get your name off the owners list in the other thread :D

• Advertisement

Ah Jaysus, and it took so long to get your name off the owners list in the other thread :D
    It's obviously meant to be :D

• Registered Users Posts: 603 ✭✭✭shanemkelly

Have to agree.

It's obviously meant to be :D

From Black to White, eh? ;):D

• Moderators Posts: 12,374 ✭✭✭✭Black_Knight

Have to agree.

Posted that in the ioniq thread. I've a suspicion that they're trading up with Kearys and trying to get a better price on the trade in through private sale. I've seen Kearys do that before, and back in April a clean 171 silver ioniq was for sale for 22k because the owner was trying to get a few quid more than Kearys were offering for trade in (I didn't buy because the colour wasn't to my liking).
    That Ioniq has dropped 1k in price in a week. €22k should get it i'd imagine.

Yeah, it is a good deal and less than I sold mine for so I'd be happy to buy on that front.
    I'm still playing around with what to do after we close the house sale + purchase, but I think the private networks have put an Ioniq back on my map - unbelievably.

Only a 28kWh one though, wouldnt go near the new one.

Yeah, it is a good deal and less than I sold mine for so I'd be happy to buy on that front.
    I'm still playing around with what to do after we close the house sale + purchase, but I think the private networks have put an Ioniq back on my map - unbelievably.

Only a 28kWh one though, wouldnt go near the new one.

38kw Ioniq might help maintain a cost price of €22k on the 28kw Ioniq for another year or so until you change up. Zero depreciation perhaps? 2017 ioniqs are still going for around €23+ in dealerships.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,795 ✭✭✭samih

The 38 kWh Ioniq has what extra 30 percent range per charge? Might be the difference between making it suitable without charging for those 200 km a day commuters (even at true motorway speed) that couldn't quite make the I28 work for them. And the liquid cooling should keep the battery degradation down for many years of trouble free long distance commuting.

samih wrote: »
    The 38 kWh Ioniq has what extra 30 percent range per charge? Might be the difference between making it suitable without charging for those 200 km a day commuters (even at true motorway speed) that couldn't quite make the I28 work for them. And the liquid cooling should keep the battery degradation down for many years of trouble free long distance commuting.

200km a day is not possible all year round in the 38 either. Bjorn only got 160

200km a day is not possible all year round in the 38 either. Bjorn only got 160

Didn't Bjorn drive like a madman in that test? 130-140km/hr for lots of the trip?

Didn't Bjorn drive like a madman in that test? 130-140km/hr for lots of the trip?
    Drove at motorway speeds. If I'm doing 200km a day on a motorway I'll be doing at least 130 indicated. I did it for a couple of months before, not to be repeated! It's about 4-5 hours driving.

• Advertisement

Drove at motorway speeds. If I'm doing 200km a day on a motorway I'll be doing at least 130 indicated. I did it for a couple of months before, not to be repeated! It's about 4-5 hours driving.

Yes

That's horrible alright

EV's and highspeed driving are a no no, they are crap at it

You'd need a Kona/Tesla etc to do 130/140km/h for city to city driving in Ireland

Even the Kona might not make Cork - Dublin at 140km/h

Bjorn had a good video once of a Model S 85 cruising on the autobahn at 200km/h ( big diesel cruising speed there )

The autobahn stretch was 40 km which he covered in 12 minutes

Consumption was 52kWh/100km

160km of range from a huge 85kWh pack

A similar ICE car like a 300bhp 3.0 diesel Audi A6 will do 15l/100km @ 200km/h, so 500km+ of range from it's 80l tank

Advertisement