Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

38kWh Ioniq

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 450 ✭✭zoom_cool

This maybe of interest if you can speak German

https://youtu.be/ccKeFhMRNDA

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,267 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

zoom_cool wrote: »
    This maybe of interest if you can speak German

https://youtu.be/ccKeFhMRNDA

Fixed the link:

• Registered Users Posts: 65,401 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

For those not watching it / don't understand German - this was a test to find out the most efficient EV. They did a mixed driving trip of 150km with town driving (50km/h), provincial road (100km/h) and motorway (up to 152km/h)

Ioniq facelift 38kWh - 14.8kWh/100km
    Tesla Model 3 SR+ - 15.2kWh/100km

That's with a camera mounted on the roof of Ioniq throughout and not on the Tesla. Why did they do that, it would have a serious impact on consumption figures at those motorway speeds. It looked fairly cold and Tesla had all weather tyres and the Ioniq summer tyres (more efficient). They should both have been on same season tyres. But I suppose the test shows what we already know, these two cars are by far the most efficient EVs in the world.

Interesting little fact. The Ioniq was supplied by Auto Sangl. They sell more Ioniqs than any other Hyundai dealer in the world. Extremely knowledgeable on the car. Their MD did a YT video of the car a few years ago and he knows everything there is to know about the car. I was very impressed. Some comparison with the Irish Hyundai dealers, what? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,120 ✭✭✭BigAl81

Pricing up on UK website now. Three trim levels starting at 29.5k sterling.

Possibly around 34k euro on the road here so??

• Registered Users Posts: 5,809 ✭✭✭Old diesel

BigAl81 wrote: »
    Pricing up on UK website now. Three trim levels starting at 29.5k sterling.

Possibly around 34k euro on the road here so??

Michael Barrable has one up for 31,245.

New model in pics but no mention of it being a 38.

Has to be though given that they have it down as a 201 - 2020 car.

To be honest if that actually is the real price it's not a terrible buy for anyone who never had the 28.

Yes the charging issues etc but an eGolf isnt going to give you a decisive improvement in charging.

And while it needs testing on long journeys - I suspect it beats L40 on a long run as the latters Rapidgate hinders it..

Just looks poor Vs the 28 in charging.

Still not terrible Vs other cars that can be got at similar money new.

Like that eGolf.

• Advertisement

Good post, Old diesel. And this sums it up nicely:
    Old diesel wrote: »
    it's not a terrible buy for anyone who never had the 28

Right in line with Nyland telling people to buy a second hand "classic Ioniq" instead :p

Old diesel wrote:
    Michael Barrable has one up for 31,245.

Would be a great price if correct. Could hardly be 30k sterling and 31k euro tho?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,912 ✭✭✭Mike9832

Would be a great price if correct. Could hardly be 30k sterling and 31k euro tho?

Would be a great price

Charge speed is overblown

With that efficency and battery size it's a long range EV

More range than that bloody VW ID for 30k that everyone is waiting for and Hyundai has a proper warranty

After unkel post seems like

225km motorway
    250km mixed
    300km regional

Driving is possible

Thats my range sorted 95% of the year, would have to stop and charge for 45-60 mins on Limerick - Dublin return leg

Same range as those 50kWh superminis 208/Corsa for same price

It's an odd one for sure.

Needs to be that low to sell though.

If it's 33/34 k then it's too close to 64 kwh Soul - which is a much more usable EV.

eSoul advantages if Ioniq is 34 k......

Superior charging capability.

Great on range with 64 kwh battery.

64 kwh battery helps future resale as car suited to a wider audience.

Downsides .

Styling an acquired taste - Ioniq more widely acceptable to look at.

Ioniq interior looks better if the bright trim finishings are standard offerings.

Boot on eSoul doesn't look the best.

Strong arguement that the eSoul is STILL worth it even with Ioniq at 31 k.

But if that Michael Barrable price is correct - you are still getting a reasonable amount of good EV for the money if you don't need to public charge often.

Having a long think about "upgrading" my current 191 28kWh Ioniq for the 38kWh.

As a nerdy tech person it would pain me to pay more money for worse charging tech in a car three years newer.

However, it would inconvenience me by about 15 minutes twice a year at most on some very long cross country trips. But it would mean me not needing to stop or worry on a170km trip I do about 40 times a year so makes complete sense.

I'd say there's a lot of people in that boat. In a small country, that extra range could mean not stopping at all so who cares how slow charging it is! (I'd care, but not stopping would be super!)

The only thing I can't square away is how the new car is both liquid cooled, and speed limited when charging.

Surely liquid cooling should enable faster charging? It must be a much more densely packed battery to fit it into the car and can't dissipate the heat. Or Hyundai know something about battery degradation they're not telling us!

I've asked the dealer if he'll swap out my 191 for a 201 under my PCP deal for the craic. It's not the way it usually works but we'll see!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,119 ✭✭✭✭KCross

The only thing I can't square away is how the new car is both liquid cooled, and speed limited when charging.

Surely liquid cooling should enable faster charging? It must be a much more densely packed battery to fit it into the car and can't dissipate the heat.

The voltage of the 38kWh pack is much lower than the 28kWh pack hence more amps are required to charge at the same kW and more amps means more heat.

You would think the liquid cooling would be able to counter it, but apparently not and its probably also dictated by the cell manufacturer and so Hyundai are ensuring they stay within the warranty.

Having a long think about "upgrading" my current 191 28kWh Ioniq for the 38kWh.

As a nerdy tech person it would pain me to pay more money for worse charging tech in a car three years newer.

However, it would inconvenience me by about 15 minutes twice a year at most on some very long cross country trips. But it would mean me not needing to stop or worry on a170km trip I do about 40 times a year so makes complete sense.

I'd say there's a lot of people in that boat. In a small country, that extra range could mean not stopping at all so who cares how slow charging it is! (I'd care, but not stopping would be super!)

Surely liquid cooling should enable faster charging? It must be a much more densely packed battery to fit it into the car and can't dissipate the heat. Or Hyundai know something about battery degradation they're not telling us!

I've asked the dealer if he'll swap out my 191 for a 201 under my PCP deal for the craic. It's not the way it usually works but we'll see!

My theory is that looking at Leaf 40 Vs Leaf 62 the 40 Kwh battery size is a challenging size for cooling.

Leaf 62 also rapidgates and is criticised for that.

But anyone that's made direct comparison between L40 and L62 seems to conclude that Leaf 62 manages it's temps in a less crap way then the 40.

So basically it looks to me that 40 Kwh is the hardest to keep cool.

So liquid cooling the 38 isnt giving the impact you should expect.

We can see further evidence in how the 40 Kwh eNV200 is active cooled but still rapidgates - okay eNV200 system is poor. But still some of its poorness might be 40 Kwh size.

60 to 64 kwh has key advantages over the 40 Kwh size.

Less need to charge .

Heat managed over more cells and a bigger battery.

Can handle more discharge and charge .

• Registered Users Posts: 3,224 ✭✭✭Kramer

The Hyundai guy - Dublin dealer I assume, at the Ideal Homes Exhibition yesterday said, quite emphatically, the price was €38k :eek:.
    I asked him if he was sure & if this was after grant/vrt exemption & he confirmed.

He said it was the same price as the Kona.

That can't be right :confused:.

It would still be a good upgrade for people like BigAl81, who regularly do a 180-200km trip as in winter that would be really pushing it in Ioniq 28 without charging even driven at near Leaf speeds with no cruise and only seat heating etc. It will still do that trip at motorway speeds in winter in Ioniq 38 with cruise / heating etc.

• Moderators Posts: 12,374 ✭✭✭✭Black_Knight

If you need a boot, the Kona isn't really an option. Pathetic sized boot last I looked.
    Seems mad to say a Kia eNiro 64kW would be the same price as the 38ioniq.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,531 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

When are we likely to know the price?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,292 ✭✭✭0lddog

....Seems mad to say a Kia eNiro 64kW would be the same price as the 38ioniq.

Agreed

Chancing their arm - if they dont sell then expect a de facto price reduction with some sort of scrappage scheme.

• Moderators Posts: 12,374 ✭✭✭✭Black_Knight

0lddog wrote: »
    Agreed

Chancing their arm - if they dont sell then expect a de facto price reduction with some sort of scrappage scheme.

Even with 5k scrappage it's just about priced right, if you can forgive the poor charging rates.

• Registered Users Posts: 470 ✭✭PaulRyan97

Price is €35k, just a few hundred cheaper than the PHEV.

• Registered Users Posts: 665 ✭✭✭adunis

So 6k more for a freshen up and 50km ?
    Even if you can overlook the compromised
    charging that's a firm no .

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,267 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

That's madness, just shy of 5k more than what my car cost before scrappage.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭Fiery mutant

I know some people aren’t mad about the grills on the Ioniq. I don’t mind the one on my own, but the new one looks rubbish.

You don’t need to make a statement with it, just keep it simple ffs.

We should defend our way of life to an extent that any attempt on it is crushed, so that any adversary will never make such an attempt in the future.

PaulRyan97 wrote: »
    Price is €35k, just a few hundred cheaper than the PHEV.

Another good value EV lol

EV scene is a ****ing joke

Will be for years while autogiants are dragged kicking and screaming into electrification

Fair play to the clever people that got Ioniq for €25,000 after scrappage and Leaf 30 previously for a steal

New entrants can bring the lube with them to main dealers for the next few years

• Registered Users Posts: 470 ✭✭PaulRyan97

Can't see Hyundai sticking to those prices for long. Then again they've sold about a 1000 Konas at €38k. Not a big deterrent.

PaulRyan97 wrote: »
    Can't see Hyundai sticking to those prices for long. Then again they've sold about a 1000 Konas at €38k. Not a big deterrent.

Doesnt bother them

They sell plenty as it is

Just spoke to my dealer, he's saying 37.3k euro after grants!!

Good luck to them!

That's for the top spec version apparently which would be a straight conversion of the pricing listed on the UK website so seems to be right.

Mental that it would only be a grand or two less than a 64 kWh Kona!!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,884 ✭✭✭Soarer

62 kW Leaf doesn't seem to be too bad now.

Soarer wrote: »
    62 kW Leaf doesn't seem to be too bad now.

Eh well, yes it does :p

• Advertisement

Couldn't resist, I went over for a sneak peek!

It's definitely more premium inside, leather seats and nicer interior, but very familiar otherwise. Electric memory seats too which I'd love.

The outside is much the same. I like the new grill.

Front:
    493979.jpg

Rear:
    493980.jpg

Inside:
    493981.jpg

Would I buy it at the right price, yes. Would I pay 37.3k for it.... humm?

The last one was 31k on the road. Throw in mabye 2k for the spec bump that's 33k. So about 4.5k then for the larger battery, seems an awful lot for 10 extra kWh's. That would be ~€450 per kWh which seems to be about twice what it should be.

By my maths, the car should be around €35k ish, not €37k.

Advertisement