Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Laptop TouchPad not working

Options
  • 19-01-2019 11:44am
    Registered Users Posts: 706 ✭✭✭

Laptop Touchpad stopped working on a HP EliteBook. I've Googled it and was advised to press different f keys and ctrl or alt keys. Tried them without success. Does anyone know an actual fix. Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,249 ✭✭✭magentis

Has the touchpad got a little red led on at the top left corner?Double tap on it if so.If not connect a usb mouse and go to device manager to see what it says.

• Registered Users Posts: 706 ✭✭✭Logo

Thanks magentis. I've a usb mouse attached. No leds around touchpad and tried device manager without joy.

Also thanks Akrasia. Tried a lint free cloth to no avail.

Which model elitebook is it?

Is the touchpad showing in device manager?I usually disable it and then enable it again there.That tends to solve the problem.

Akrasia wrote: »
    Wipe off the excess sperm with a lint free cloth and then go get a bluetooth mouse

:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,533 ✭✭✭brevity

Sounds like it could be a driver issue.

Check the device manager/computer management and see if anything is up.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

Mod note: This would probably be better dealt with in one of the computer forums. I'll close it and transfer it on, please note the change of forum and forum rules.

Buford T. Justice.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 186 ✭✭Kickstart1.3

Common issue with the newer HP laptops

Do the following

Press Windows key + R
    type devmgmt.msc then hit enter
    Expand the mouse and pointing devices (you`ll have to use the tab and arrow keys if you don't have an external usb mouse to attach)
    right click and uninstall touchpad, also accept uninstall driver (again if no mouse tab into properties and select uninstall)
    Disconnect all devices such as usb mouse, printers etc
    shutdown and power off laptop.
    Reboot into Bios (I think its f10)
    load default settings, save and exit
    Reboot to windows

• Registered Users Posts: 706 ✭✭✭Logo

Common issue with the newer HP laptops

Do the following

Press Windows key + R
    type devmgmt.msc then hit enter
    Expand the mouse and pointing devices (you`ll have to use the tab and arrow keys if you don't have an external usb mouse to attach)
    right click and uninstall touchpad, also accept uninstall driver (again if no mouse tab into properties and select uninstall)
    Disconnect all devices such as usb mouse, printers etc
    shutdown and power off laptop.
    Reboot into Bios (I think its f10)
    load default settings, save and exit
    Reboot to windows

Thanks the instructions. However I'm slow to carry them out because if I uninstall the external mouse (which is my only user device atm) and all other devises - then surely I'm cutting off both arms & legs and won't be able to navigate at all?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 186 ✭✭Kickstart1.3

Before doing anything so try just booting the laptop into Bios , if the touchpad works in the Bios menu it confirms that its a windows issue and not a hardware error.
    You can reconnect the external mouse at anytime it will still work, just leave it disconnected on the reboot.

If the touchpad still doesn't come back then the easiest option is to do a full factory reset (this takes a while and you will loose all your old programs and files so backup what you need first)
    otherwise you would have to go through each windows and driver update to find the culprit

• Registered Users Posts: 565 ✭✭✭bodonnell

have you tried just tapping the top L or R corners of the pad, not all had leds or other marks to highlight this.
    I have inadvertently disabled pads this way.

• Advertisement
Advertisement