Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Online purchase, postage not refunded.

Options
  • 19-01-2019 1:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,090 ✭✭✭

Looking for some advice please, I recently purchased two items online from what seemed like a reputable company based in England.

On unwrapping the items both had faults that were glaringly obvious, I immediately photographed the faults and emailed the pictures to the seller.

He was slow to communicate and when he did he made the excuse that the items were discounted. I responded this was irrelevant as they were not fit for purpose and were useless to me. He agreed to refund me if I sent them back, I asked about return postage costs and was told to find out how much it would cost.

I gave him the two prices for tracked and untracked postage I found online and again he was very slow to respond. I did some searching online and found that he was obliged to pay the return postage because the items were not fit for purpose. I contacted him again and told him what I had discovered and he said he had been away for a while but to return the items and he will refund me "no problem".

I sent them back at a cost of 37 euro tracked delivery, sent him a copy of An Post receipt and the items were signed for. He has refunded the cost of the two items to my card but not the postage costs he agreed to refund (and is obliged by law to refund).

I paid for the postage by cash so I cannot get a Paypal refund or charge back.

He refuses to respond to my emails requesting the refund, does anyone have any idea how I can get him to pay what he agreed in writing to pay?

"Very soon we are going to Mars. You wouldn't have been going to Mars if my opponent won, that I can tell you. You wouldn't even be thinking about it."

Donald Trump, March 13th 2018.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,836 ✭✭✭Ten Pin

Was the original transaction via PayPal? If so they will pay for return up to 30 euro.

https://m.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057941314

• Closed Accounts Posts: 113 ✭✭Prince William

Was this a private eBay seller?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭august12

If you've got a receipt for postage as you've stated above and bought the items through PayPal, then within 30 days of return, you can request the postage fee through PayPal.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,090 ✭✭✭Rows Grower

Thanks for the replies, I bought the items through PayPal and was refunded the cost price through them but when I tried to open a case for the postage soon after realising the guy was a crook it wouldn't work because an automatic message came up saying this case has been settled.

I returned the items late November but between one thing and another and waiting for the refund to go through, then thinking it was an honest oversight and trusting the seller to fulfill his word and then waiting for him to reply to emails the time has slipped by.

I have all the emails and pictures that went to and fro, he and I know he is obliged by European law to refund me but I don't know to chase it up, judging from the way the seller has dealt with me I'm sure that it's not the first time he has been in this situation. Would it do any good to contact PayPal and explain the situation or are they strict on the 30 day rule?

"Very soon we are going to Mars. You wouldn't have been going to Mars if my opponent won, that I can tell you. You wouldn't even be thinking about it."

OmegaGene wrote: »
    Use the link ten pin added and it’s a thread I started recently and it has a link to get return postage covered by PayPal it’s a separate claim to the original refund and paid by PayPal themselves

When did you post the item back ?

Thanks for that Omega, I'll follow that up and let you know how I get on.

Much appreciated.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,019 ✭✭✭ct5amr2ig1nfhp

I tried the old finger over the date trick in the past but was asked to resenda picture with the date clearly visible.

OmegaGene wrote:
    Ah it was just an idea I thought might work I’ve been using PayPal returns since they started it and usually have it uploaded from outside the post office The return postage offered by PayPal is like a gig secret for some reason

Maybe we should keep it that way, but then it's not PayPal refunding, its the seller and I don't think they are too pleased about it, can't blame them really.

Sorry, I am referring to the postage refund offered by Paypal for returning items to seller, the item might be perfect but buyer has changed their mind and returns the item but pays for postage as per sellers terms and conditions. Buyer can then apply for a refund of the postal charge up to a max limit, Is this then recouped by PayPal from the seller?

That's what I'm referring to.

august12 wrote: »
    Sorry, I am referring to the postage refund offered by Paypal for returning items to seller, the item might be perfect but buyer has changed their mind and returns the item but pays for postage as per sellers terms and conditions. Buyer can then apply for a refund of the postal charge up to a max limit, Is this then recouped by PayPal from the seller?

That's what I'm referring to.

You need to start your own thread on that one.

I just want your man to pay me what he owes me.

Ok, so I've written to PayPal and explained what happened and asked them to help me recover the money I was told would be refunded. They should be back to me within 24 hours.

Does anyone here have any experience or knowledge of the European small claims procedure? I'm not sure if I can include the 25 euro cost of starting the procedure in my claim as it's not the clear in the info online.

Hopefully PayPal will sort things out, if they don't I'll try every other avenue.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 113 ✭✭Prince William

Ok, so I've written to PayPal and explained what happened and asked them to help me recover the money I was told would be refunded. They should be back to me within 24 hours.

Does anyone here have any experience or knowledge of the European small claims procedure? I'm not sure if I can include the 25 euro cost of starting the procedure in my claim as it's not the clear in the info online.

Hopefully PayPal will sort things out, if they don't I'll try every other avenue.

You never said whether the person is a business or a private seller??? If it's some bedroom private seller, not vat registered etc then you can't use the small claims court.

You never said whether the person is a business or a private seller??? If it's some bedroom private seller, not vat registered etc then you can't use the small claims court.

My apologies, it's a well established Ltd. company.

PayPal have gotten back to me and requested more details of the transaction.

Fingers crossed even though I would much prefer if the seller of the faulty goods paid the money and not PayPal.

OmegaGene wrote: »
    The usual procedure is a postage label
    Chalk it down and move on with a nice pint of bulmers lad

Have not one clue what you are on about.

Advertisement