Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BOI Mortgage in Cork - subsidence insurance

Options
  • 19-01-2019 2:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 924 ✭✭✭

I'm looking at taking out a mortgage on a house in Cork (not yet bought). I spoke to BOI and they say a condition of mortgage would be insurance cover to include subsidence cover. This was not an issue when i took out my current mortgage with AIB.

Just wondering have others come across this issue - lots of areas in Cork are not insurable for subsidence as far as i know - I don't know if this means BOI don't lend here or do they not enforce this condition if you can't get cover?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,166 ✭✭✭beer enigma

okedoke wrote: »
    I'm looking at taking out a mortgage on a house in Cork (not yet bought). I spoke to BOI and they say a condition of mortgage would be insurance cover to include subsidence cover. This was not an issue when i took out my current mortgage with AIB.

Just wondering have others come across this issue - lots of areas in Cork are not insurable for subsidence as far as i know - I don't know if this means BOI don't lend here or do they not enforce this condition if you can't get cover?

It's a real problem, AXA did our insurance after AIB asked for similar back in 2007 and they've had us over a barrel since then . We managed to swap insurer last year by going through O'Leary brokers in Mahon so well worth giving them a call.

• Registered Users Posts: 924 ✭✭✭okedoke

It's a real problem, AXA did our insurance after AIB asked for similar back in 2007 and they've had us over a barrel since then . We managed to swap insurer last year by going through O'Leary brokers in Mahon so well worth giving them a call.
    Thanks - interestingly AIB only wanted fire insuance from us in 2015

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,555 ✭✭✭Roger Hassenforder

Try FBD

• Registered Users Posts: 702 ✭✭✭lostinsuperfunk

Having had a similar experience, I'd recommend a local broker as poster #2 suggests. McCarthy's are also good, www.mig.ie (call them, don't try to get an online quote).

Advertisement