Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Injector seals replacement

• 19-01-2019 3:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭

Has anyone had any experience with getting injector seal's/ copper washers done on their diesel cars. I know the actual part's themselves are cheap but it's the labour thats costly especially if the injectors are stuck with black carbon deposits.
    My mechanic said that he has done them on Peugeot's and it wasn't difficult to get the injectors out.
    I am hoping mine aren't stuck but I have a feeling they might be, as I have had to get the sump gause cleaned out twice over the last 3 month's.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,340 ✭✭✭mullingar

I assume your referring to the older 16v 1.6 hdi engine.

I've replaced a lot of those seals, especially cylinder #2 (French engine so numbered backwards).

Yes, they can be siezed solid and if it's really bad you will also pull up the tube that the injectors slide into. So Plenty of wd40 and a good slide hammer required. You will need a seal cutter too to to clean the seal surface

• Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭Peter256

mullingar wrote: »
    I assume your referring to the older 16v 1.6 hdi engine.

I've replaced a lot of those seals, especially cylinder #2 (French engine so numbered backwards).

Yes, they can be siezed solid and if it's really bad you will also pull up the tube that the injectors slide into. So Plenty of wd40 and a good slide hammer required. You will need a seal cutter too to to clean the seal surface

Mine is actually a Mazda 2011 2.2 litre turbo diesel engine but I think the process you describe should be similar.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 416 ✭✭w211

True it can take a long time, oil, sweat and slide hammering. Do not rush, let the penetration oil/carburetor cleaner does the job. It build up the carbon and that "seal" is hard to brake. Do it after every 2 years and that job are pleasure.

• Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 12,739 Mod ✭✭✭✭cournioni

What everyone else said. More advice would be to have the engine warm so that any deposits would be loosened by the heat also. Obviously be careful not to get burned! ;)

cournioni wrote: »
    What everyone else said. More advice would be to have the engine warm so that any deposits would be loosened by the heat also. Obviously be careful not to get burned! ;)

When I wrote my text, I even add it but I deleted that part. Reason is simple, sometimes it need more than 1 round and modern cars are way too complex. Before you get into to injectors the engine can be already too cold. Works perfectly by easy access, otherwise just time wasting. I know situations where it took 2 days and 8 rounds of heating!!! Now think what money it can cost. That why the preventive maintenance every after 2 years are like walking on the park.

Bad new is that, there is not possible to use the torch, the cylinder head will warp. Only engine own temperature like you suggested.

• Advertisement

w211 wrote: »
    When I wrote my text, I even add it but I deleted that part. Reason is simple, sometimes it need more than 1 round and modern cars are way too complex. Before you get into to injectors the engine can be already too cold. Works perfectly by easy access, otherwise just time wasting. I know situations where it took 2 days and 8 rounds of heating!!! Now think what money it can cost. That why the preventive maintenance every after 2 years are like walking on the park.

Bad new is that, there is not possible to use the torch, the cylinder head will warp. Only engine own temperature like you suggested.

I think I will need to bring my car to a mechanic to do this job. It doesn't sound like a diy job especially if I have no experience of doing this before. Hopefully the injectors won't be too stuck. Maybe after it's done I will try it next time after a year or 2 when the injectors will be more free to remove.

Take it easy. You can be same qualified as mechanic :) If you have a trouble, mechanic have the same trouble. So the labor can cost way too much. Better buy couple of tools and DIY. This is DIY section so do it! These days you can prepare yourself even on youtube and learn about your engine or something very similar. If there is not information then you can be the next youtube star too. Load of editing and it will looks like a pro. No joke

w211 wrote: »
    Take it easy. You can be same qualified as mechanic :) If you have a trouble, mechanic have the same trouble. So the labor can cost way too much. Better buy couple of tools and DIY. This is DIY section so do it! These days you can prepare yourself even on youtube and learn about your engine or something very similar. If there is not information then you can be the next youtube star too. Load of editing and it will looks like a pro. No joke

There isn't a full video on doing this job on my engine on YouTube but there is a video of a mechanic trying to remove a stuck injector from same engine as mine and he has some kind of engine crane lift attached to top of injector and he is trying to get a twist on it with a bar of a trolley jab and he is still having problem.
    I have to get this job done properly because it's causing my oil sump pick up mesh to get clogged with deposits. I have had my oil light come on on 2 seperate occasions and have had to get the sump removed and mesh cleaned out. I am going to do the mesh cleaning job myself next time but I will leave the injectors to mechanic. The last thing I want is to damage injectors that cost 250 - 300 euro each.
    I will need to keep an eye on the pick up mesh. The injector seal's may need to be replaced every service on my engine or at least each year to prevent the oil pick up mesh getting blocked up.

Buy the injector extractor kit and save the money. It is better method than hang up the engine by stuck injector.
    Nobody can not estimate how long that job takes, so you could spend way over 1k for that job what you can to do yourself. Most of the time just let penetration oil and carb cleaner does the job.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 390 ✭✭jochenstacker

I found this to be a very informative video

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,865 ✭✭✭fancy pigeon

Peter256 wrote: »
    Has anyone had any experience with getting injector seal's/ copper washers done on their diesel cars. I know the actual part's themselves are cheap but it's the labour thats costly especially if the injectors are stuck with black carbon deposits.
    My mechanic said that he has done them on Peugeot's and it wasn't difficult to get the injectors out.
    I am hoping mine aren't stuck but I have a feeling they might be, as I have had to get the sump gause cleaned out twice over the last 3 month's.

It does depend on the car. IDI just screw off. CR is hit and miss. Last set I took out was on an Avensis engine, whilst there was a lot to take off to access them they come out very easily. DW10 set came out nicely for me before

However I replaced the injectors and washers in my old C220 about 2 years back, they were nothing short of a disaster to remove. Hot, cold, left overnight etc they were a nuisance. One refused to budge and even after half an hour of slide hammering it barely budged. Caused by the black plague, naturally :rolleyes:

Mind you, I'd rather take on the Merc than a Vivaro van... :eek:

Advertisement