Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Oil delivered to wrong address

Options
  • 19-01-2019 11:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,196 ✭✭✭

Hi folks I ordered 400ltr heating oil during the week and when there was no sign of it after a few day I rang to query. Supplier claimed it had been delivered the previous day. My daughter was home all day that day and didn’t hear or see them, nor did my neighbour who was home. The tank is accessible without anybody being home so I usually just ring and pre pay and they shove the docket through the letterbox.

There was no delivery docket this time and I was also suspicious because the cap on my tank is a b***h to replace because the threads are worn. They always just barely put it back on and I replace it properly afterwards there is a bit of a knack to it. It was on perfectly when I went to check the tank which is unusual after a delivery. I had dipped the tank a week previously and it was about 1/3 full although I can’t be exactly sure. It’s still around 1/3 full. It’s a 1350 ltr tank afaik.

There are several cul de sacs in my estate that all go 1-20 so I strongly suspect someone else got my delivery. The supplier doesn’t want to know, says they made the delivery and they are in that estate every day and would never make such a mistake. After getting fairly persistent on the phone the manager has agreed to come out Monday to present the delivery slip as proof and to check the tank (pointless unless you know what was in it before). There is probably just enough oil in the tank for him to claim he is right but I’m 99% sure there was no delivery. What are my rights here and how should I approach this?

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

Mod Note

OP, I've moved your thread to consumer issues. Best of luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,485 ✭✭✭harr

Sounds like a mistake on delivery but a hard one to prove unfortunately..... as you said your tank is accessible to anyone is it possible some low life seen the delivery being made and then helped himself to your oil or some of it..
    It was happening down my way where they were following The tankers and coming back at night robbing the oil..
    Ask him why the docket wasn’t posted into the house or check if any of your neighbors has cctv it might show the lorry or not ...the time should be on the docket.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,783 ✭✭✭GoneHome

Something similar happened me last year but in reverse, the company got the order mixed up, I ordered €400 of oil, it hadn't arrived a week later so I rang them again, they said no problem we'll deliver it for sure tomorrow, which they did but the following day after that they delivered another €700 of oil! Ended up with a lot of oil and a BIG bill.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,196 ✭✭✭The_Honeybadger

harr wrote: »
    Sounds like a mistake on delivery but a hard one to prove unfortunately..... as you said your tank is accessible to anyone is it possible some low life seen the delivery being made and then helped himself to your oil or some of it..
    It was happening down my way where they were following The tankers and coming back at night robbing the oil..
    Ask him why the docket wasn’t posted into the house or any of your neighbors has cctv it might show not show the lorry...the time should be on the docket.

Hi Harr they told me the time but nobody has CCTV as far as I am aware. I was home 20 minutes after the claimed delivery and there is no history of oil theft in the estate or in the town really it’s more rural properties they target.

It is a hard one to prove it’s a pity the tank wasn’t nearly empty as I’d have proof then. They just fobbed off the question about the docket stating they would email it to me as proof.

GoneHome wrote: »
    Something similar happened me last year but in reverse, the company got the order mixed up, I ordered €400 of oil, it hadn't arrived a week later so I rang them again, they said no problem we'll deliver it for sure tomorrow, which they did but the following day after that they delivered another €700 of oil! Ended up with a lot of oil and a BIG bill.

Did they make you pay the €700 straight away for their mistake? I’d have paid it off over time when I’m good and ready

• Advertisement

Did they make you pay the €700 straight away for their mistake? I’d have paid it off over time when I’m good and ready

I could have paid them straight away but I said f**k that, it was their own mistake so I paid them off in instalments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,108 ✭✭✭✭elperello

OP
    You said he says he he is going to present the delivery slip as proof.
    How can he produce the slip now if the business arrangement you had with him is that you pay in advance and the driver leaves the slip?
    Those slips are two part one for driver one for customer.
    How do they expect to get paid and then produce so called retrospective proof of delivery which according to the terms of your arrangement should have been posted through your door.
    That oil could be anywhere
    If they stuck to the arrangement this would not have happened.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,437 ✭✭✭✭Victor

as you said your tank is accessible to anyone is it possible some low life seen the delivery being made and then helped himself to your oil or some of it..
    So the daughter didn't notice the tanker or the guys stealing it?

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭type85

If your sure your right and the oil was not delivered then just remove 100/200L of whats remaining. That way it'll be clear to the delivery company it wasn't delivered. You'll need 5/10 20L empty drums and just stash it in the house.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,200 ✭✭✭troyzer

It's not rocket science.

You ordered something and there's no proof of it ever arriving. Tell them to jog on.

Whether or not it may or may not have been delivered to another house is immaterial. They didn't supply a receipt at the time which you said is standard practice. There is literally zero evidence of this transaction occuring.

Tell them to fill it as you asked or refuse payment and go somewhere else.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,961 ✭✭✭LionelNashe

It's pointless the manager coming out unless he brings the driver with him, and then you're hoping that the driver will own up to his mistake when he sees the house.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,302 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

After getting fairly persistent on the phone the manager has agreed to come out Monday to present the delivery slip as proof and to check the tank (pointless unless you know what was in it before).
    How'd they have said slip if they did the delivery?

It'll be interesting to see what name is on it.

Are there other suppliers in the area? If you paid by CC, consider doing a charge-back for goods not received.

troyzer wrote: »
    It's not rocket science.

You ordered something and there's no proof of it ever arriving. Tell them to jog on.

His problem is that he has paid in advance.

I think that if the driver left the oil without leaving the top part of the docket they have no proof of delivery.

Producing a docket now after the fact is not good enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,969 ✭✭✭cute geoge

No law to get!!!! they said they delivered ,your job is to make sure you get your delivery no point in paying up front
    My neighbour got his tank filled by mistake one time and the stingy f++ker got away without paying!!!
    What i would do is get the same company fill up tank again and let sweat for their money next time

Just to clarify I have already paid for the oil by Debit card so no going back. The manager has told me that the delivery duplicate in the office has the correct name and address on it and he told me the time of delivery. It’s really curious that the driver didn’t post it and also that the really fidgety cap was placed back correctly when they’ve never done that before.

My daughter is a teenager and tbh the house could be burning down around her and she’d hardly notice so I’m not leaning on that as proof.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,602 ✭✭✭✭kippy

Just to clarify I have already paid for the oil by Debit card so no going back. The manager has told me that the delivery duplicate in the office has the correct name and address on it and he told me the time of delivery. It’s really curious that the driver didn’t post it and also that the really fidgety cap was placed back correctly when they’ve never done that before.

My daughter is a teenager and tbh the house could be burning down around her and she’d hardly notice so I’m not leaning on that as proof.
    You need to get the driver over as mentioned, as well as the manager.
    One would hope the driver would realise his mistake straight away.
    If not then you are in an awkward situation, howevee I would approach it by stating the known facts,
    The oil level in your tank has not increased. There was no delivery docket on the premises. The tank was closed properly which is not normal. Your daughter did not hear the delivery. You are a long time customer.
    You'll have to see where that gets ya.

OP print off the extract of your bank statement showing the payment as proof and if they're still insisting that they delivered the oil threaten them with your solicitor/small claims court

Well your name and address would be on it anyway because that's where the driver was sent so that is no proof.
    The time is also no proof that the delivery was at your house.

It's a large truck pulled up outside the house with engine running. I know, teenager headphones etc!

You know by the levels in your tank that the delivery was not made. Don't let them browbeat you.

They breached the terms of your agreement with them.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,836 ✭✭✭Ten Pin

have already paid for the oil by Debit card so no going back
    Ask your bank about this, AFAIK they may be able to reverse the payment if it's not resolved by the supplier

Ten Pin wrote: »
    Why do you think you can't do charge back on a debit card?

Didn’t know I could, I thought you could only do that on credit cards?

• Advertisement

Actually do delivery lorries have dash-cam, if so ask them for the evidence of delivery to your house

• Registered Users Posts: 605 ✭✭✭upupup

If you can get the driver out with the manager then ask the driver was there anything difficulty in putting the oil into the tank.(the worn cap)....if he mentions the cap then he was there,,if he says everything was fine then ask him to put the cap on and see what happens

• Registered Users Posts: 2,836 ✭✭✭Ten Pin

Didn’t know I could, I thought you could only do that on credit cards?

AFAIK credit cards give extra cover for goods but if goods haven't been delivered then you can dispute the transaction whether it's debit or credit card

Victor wrote: »
    So the daughter didn't notice the tanker or the guys stealing it?
    OP did say “after a few days they noticed it wasn’t delivered “ they might not have stolen it that particular day it was allegedly delivered. If it was nicked it probably would have been that night or they waited till nobody was home.

OP did say “after a few days they noticed it wasn’t delivered “ they might not have stolen it that particular day it was allegedly delivered. If it was nicked it probably would have been that night or they waited till nobody was home.

Yes stealing oil from tanks is rampant around here, rural Co Limerick, but I've never really heard of it within a housing estate

GoneHome wrote: »
    Yes stealing oil from tanks is rampant around here, rural Co Limerick, but I've never really heard of it within a housing estate
    Probably hard to get away with 400L from a housing estate alright. But it has happened near me where the little ****s were stealing up to 100L a night from various houses, not only that but they were leaving the valve open on purpose and destroying the gardens.

In relation to the oil level when I dipped it the previous week I’m almost sure it was around 1/3 but I wouldn’t bet my lottery winnings on it. It was nowhere near empty though that’s for sure.

Would anybody know how many inches the level would increase with 400ltrs? Probably depends on how much is in the tank to begin with?

There is no way the oil was stolen I’m not even considering it as a possibility

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,145 ✭✭✭Poll Dubh

Small claims court is another avenue.

Find out if truck has GPS tracker.

Advertisement