Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Oil delivered to wrong address

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,196 ✭✭✭The_Honeybadger

Poll Dubh wrote: »
    Small claims court is another avenue.

Find out if truck has GPS tracker.

Yes I will ask if they have a dash cam or GPS

• Registered Users Posts: 1,783 ✭✭✭GoneHome

OP come back to us Monday, I'd love to hear how this pans out, don't give in to them

• Registered Users Posts: 15,108 ✭✭✭✭elperello

In preparation for your meeting get out your old delivery dockets if you have them.

That will allow you to compare with what he produces and confirm that it is a "customer copy" and not a "driver copy".

Also as regards the level in the tank, if it is rectangular box type tank it is easy to calculate the height/volume. A round type is more difficult.

GoneHome wrote: »
    OP come back to us Monday, I'd love to hear how this pans out, don't give in to them

Will do. I am no shrinking violet and won’t let them off easy but it’s a tricky one I have no definitive proof either way and there is probably around 300 - 400ltr in the tank now so I could understand them thinking I’m wrong and the driver will probably not admit a mistake even if he knows he messed up.

If we can sort it either way Monday I’d be happy because i am up the walls at work and I really could do without the hassle of doing chargebacks and small claims court etc. Will ensure I am there for all future deliveries and will only pay in cash from now on. What a total pain the hole.

elperello wrote: »
    In preparation for your meeting get out your old delivery dockets if you have them.

That will allow you to compare with what he produces and confirm that it is a "customer copy" and not a "driver copy".

Also as regards the level in the tank, if it is rectangular box type tank it is easy to calculate the height/volume. A round type is more difficult.

I have old dockets to compare. The tanks is the cylinder type so I presume the levels would go up by different ratios depending on how much is already in the tank if that makes sense.

• Advertisement

What a total pain the hole.

That's exactly how I felt this time last year when they wanted €1100 off me for their own mistake, anyway as I say don't give in to the f*****s, best of luck

• Registered Users Posts: 6,393 ✭✭✭jonski

Slightly off topic but 400ltrs is an odd one . 500 is where the price drops so that might be something to watch for in the future . I have a 950 Lt tank and from 1/3 full 500 almost fills it . 400 plus 1/3 in yours should have taken it well over half way .

• Registered Users Posts: 18,993 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

Poll Dubh wrote: »
    Small claims court is another avenue.

Find out if truck has GPS tracker.

As it's the companies job to prove they delivered ask if the driver has location history enabled on their phone. if they have it'll show where they stopped to deliver the oil.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,800 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

Del2005 wrote: »
    As it's the companies job to prove they delivered ask if the driver has location history enabled on their phone. if they have it'll show where they stopped to deliver the oil.

Wouldn't the delivery docket show that the company delivered the oil?

Fann Linn wrote: »

yes but the OP didn't receive a delivery docket

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,108 ✭✭✭✭elperello

Fann Linn wrote: »

It would but the OP never got a docket. If they did they would have gone out and checked the tank, seen the oil level increased and secured the lid as in previous deliveries.

In this case the oil company have breached the terms of business agreed with the OP by not posting the docket through the letter box. They are now claiming that producing the docket now is some sort of proof of delivery.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,602 ✭✭✭✭kippy

To be fair, there's a considerable amount of trust required from the customer in these transactions, docket or no docket. Indeed the merchant could insist that someone be home to avoid these types of issues but that doesn't always suit.
    Interested to see how this plays out.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,083 ✭✭✭Rulmeq

Have a look around the neighbour's doors, some people in my area have "Ring" doorbells, that record everything. If you can get one to send you the footage from the date/time they said they were there, it should at least give you something to go on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 817 ✭✭✭iano.p

Go around the other cul de sac and ask did anyone get a oil delivery. This happened me with ten bags of coal I even took the coal man and showed him the bags at the wrong address. He still denied it saying we are pulling fast one. He fecker still denied it even doe I have cctv

iano.p wrote: »
    Go around the other cul de sac and ask did anyone get a oil delivery. This happened me with ten bags of coal I even took the coal man and showed him the bags at the wrong address. He still denied it saying we are pulling fast one. He fecker still denied it even doe I have cctv

Was thinking of doing this I don’t know the people there but I could give a knock on the door I suppose. Thing is if they think they can get away with a free fill of oil will they even admit it? I probably would but not everyone would.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,092 ✭✭✭fineso.mom

The above is what i would do OP. If the oil company is adamant they delivered oil then it must be somewhere. So, if you are 20 Beech Close go to 20 Beech Way and 20 Beech Gardens and ask them if them if there is any chance they got your oil by mistake. Maybe they saw the docket and figured it was put in their door by mistake, or maybe they realised what happened and are thinking they will say nothing and enjoy the free oil. But you might be able to tell by their reaction if they know anything about it.
    A friend of mine drives an oil truck and all the customer info on the docket comes from the office...once the delivery is made,the volume is recorded automatically and added to the docket and it prints. Every litre is accounted for. The truck is filled with x amount, and the dockets have to match up to x amount at the end of the day.
    Do you regularily get oil from this company? Did they say it was same driver as always?

Yes I always get my oil from them they said it is an experienced driver they have a lot of staff so not sure if it’s the same driver always I rarely meet them. I think I will hold off on calling to neighbours until I speak to them again like I said there are a lot of people who would say nothing and just take the free oil with a big smile on their face.

If the manager is dismissive tomorrow I think I have enough to write to them formally and give them 10 days to present irrefutable proof of delivery before I do a chargeback for non delivery

• Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭chin nuts

I remember my neighbour ordered oil. Can't remember how much but when it was delivered they put in double what she ordered. Guy produced the docket and she nearly died. Obviously couldn't afford it, she was a single mother and things were tight enough. Driver said my mistake sorry but you have to pay it it's in tank now, we can do installments.

Next day the boss rang her saying she had to pay it and they'll set up a direct debit every month for her. She told him she couldnt afford it, he said that if she didnt pay that he wouldntake it out of tge delivery drivers pay and that he has a family too. She felt like she was being strong armed into paying and didn't want the extra oil so asked me to speak to him. I said he's welcome to come and take the oil out of the tank, he said he couldn't do that, so I politely told him to fook off and leave the girl alone. Sounds like he's running a scam and taking advantage of a young single mother either way it's his mistake so suck it up. That was that.

• Registered Users Posts: 213 ✭✭sham58107

As already stated all of those trucks have trackers fitted just for this purpose, so manager should be able to check time of delivery ( as per truck meter) with tracker location at same time .

No need to get into hassle, somebody made a mistake let technology sort it .

If meter and tracker match you have lost your oil, if not manager goes to whoever got delivery and gets paid, and you make sure in future somebody signs for your oil.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,632 ✭✭✭thebiglad

If he does show you the delivery docket it should have a number on it - those numbers will run consecutively as the dockets are produced.

Ask to see the dockets either side of your own and see what date is on them - it may show that the docket he is claiming was produced at a later time.

He will correctly say with GDPR he cannot show you the docket with someone elses name and address etc present but, he can cover that portion up - what you want to see is the date it was produced on.

If he will not show to you then it definitely an argument for later with a Solicitor or at Small Claims court.

Also, have you tried calling to other houses in a similar location in their cul de sacs as your own and ask if they had a docket through their door on the date in question?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

I've seen this happen friends a couple of times and in each case the company called, realised it was a different address to the delivery and simply arranged for the proper delivery to be made. Likewise I know people who got oil in error (not ordered by them) and got it at a greatly reduced price as a result.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,602 ✭✭✭ShayK1

Would anybody know how many inches the level would increase with 400ltrs? Probably depends on how much is in the tank to begin with?

If its a rectangular tank measure the length and the width. Multiply the length by the width and divide that into 400L to get the height.

Its trickier with a cylindrical tank but using the same method should get an answer lower than the actual answer so you can say it should have risen at least X amount of inches.....

The formula is Volume = pi x radius squared x height but as the cylinder is wider in the middle, its hard to get an accurate answer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,471 ✭✭✭EdgeCase

Just to clarify I have already paid for the oil by Debit card so no going back. The manager has told me that the delivery duplicate in the office has the correct name and address on it and he told me the time of delivery. It’s really curious that the driver didn’t post it and also that the really fidgety cap was placed back correctly when they’ve never done that before.

My daughter is a teenager and tbh the house could be burning down around her and she’d hardly notice so I’m not leaning on that as proof.

Yes there is.

Contact your bank and explain that the product was simply never delivered. You may need evidence of this, but they can do a charge back.

I would suggest you get some kind of evidence vouched for that the tank is indeed empty.

You could also file a small claims court case if they're not prepared to be reasonable about the fact that they simply did not deliver the oil.

If they pumped it into someone else's tank. That's their own fault for not verifying the delivery address properly. It's nothing to do with you.

I would give the company an opportunity to correct the mistake first though. I'm sure this happens to them occasionally.

You'd think in this day and age they could just take an Eircode and if in doubt, verify it by GPS app on a phone.

Shouldn't be possible to misdeliver anymore.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,236 ✭✭✭Up Donegal

upupup wrote: »
    If you can get the driver out with the manager then ask the driver was there anything difficulty in putting the oil into the tank.(the worn cap)....if he mentions the cap then he was there,,if he says everything was fine then ask him to put the cap on and see what happens

If it was a driver who had delivered oil previously, then he would probably know about the awkward cap and mention it.

• Registered Users Posts: 605 ✭✭✭upupup

Up Donegal wrote: »
    If it was a driver who had delivered oil previously, then he would probably know about the awkward cap and mention it.

I think dusting for fingerprints is the next option so:D

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,867 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Just wondering, is your tank adjacent to a concrete area or grass? If grass, was there evidence (e.g. flattered grass) of the hose on the grass and/or the driver standing around the tank?

• Registered Users Posts: 46,129 ✭✭✭✭muffler

One problem with oil deliveries is that you get a delivery docket but there's never a signature required. Going forward maybe thats something that needs to change.

Not much use to the OP but just a general observation.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,339 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

Pkiernan wrote:
    Are there roads in Ireland that have a 120 kmh limit that aren't motorways?

EdgeCase wrote:
    You'd think in this day and age they could just take an Eircode and if in doubt, verify it by GPS app on a phone.

At the end of the day the Oil company has to prove that they delivered the oil.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,969 ✭✭✭cute geoge

At the end of the day the Oil company has to prove that they delivered the oil.

do not think so ,even if it was not paid for you will still be liable for the cost of the fill if they said it was delivered to you

• Advertisement

So, owner of the oil company called today and had a look at the tank he reckons there is about 400ltr in the tank now. He was driving himself that day but had a helper doing the filling. I have an unusual enclosure around the tank that you’d remember so he said he’d bring the helper back to have a look and see if he remembers being there last week. He can’t explain where the delivery docket disappeared to but added that it was possible it went to the wrong house and if there was a mistake it would be his own fault rather than the helper who filled the tank. Seemed genuinely eager to solve the issue and said he’d give me a call tomorrow so will wait and see.

Advertisement