Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Oil delivered to wrong address

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,849 ✭✭✭Odelay

So, owner of the oil company called today and had a look at the tank he reckons there is about 400ltr in the tank now. He was driving himself that day but had a helper doing the filling. I have an unusual enclosure around the tank that you’d remember so he said he’d bring the driver back to have a look and see if he remembers being there last week. He can’t explain where the delivery docket disappeared to but added that it was possible it went to the wrong house and if there was a mistake it would be his own fault rather than the helper who filled the tank. Seemed genuinely eager to solve the issue and said he’d give me a call tomorrow so will wait and see.

I’m confused, was it the owner or other driver that delivered the oil (or not). Why is he bringing the other driver back if the owner delivered that order?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,196 ✭✭✭The_Honeybadger

Odelay wrote: »
    I’m confused, was it the owner or other driver that delivered the oil (or not). Why is he bringing the other driver back if the owner delivered that order?

Owner was driving the lorry but had a helper with him who was doing the actual filling of the tanks so the owner never actually came in to the garden. There was a typo in my post above where I said driver rather than helper, my mistake.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭Ninthlife

Owner was driving the lorry but had a helper with him who was doing the actual filling of the tanks so the owner never actually came in to the garden. There was a typo in my post above where I said driver rather than helper, my mistake.

Surely the owner would remember being at your address seeing as he drove there.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,552 ✭✭✭bigpink

Was it not signed for?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

bigpink wrote: »
    Was it not signed for?

Read the first page if you have any interest in this thread.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,108 ✭✭✭✭elperello

bigpink wrote: »
    Was it not signed for?

No it wasn't.
    It appears that the owner/driver doesn't have the "customer copy" of the docket and neither does the OP.
    If he can't explain why then his case is weakened.
    If he thinks there is 400 in it now he is suggesting that the OP ran the tank very low prior to ordering.

Ninthlife wrote: »
    Surely the owner would remember being at your address seeing as he drove there.

I asked him that but he said they do hundreds of deliveries weekly and he is in my estate several times a day sometimes and he is returning phone calls etc while the lorry is stopped. It’s nearly a week ago now so it’s understandable that he can’t remember.

elperello wrote: »
    No it wasn't.
    It appears that the owner/driver doesn't have the "customer copy" of the docket and neither does the OP.
    If he can't explain why then his case is weakened.
    If he thinks there is 400 in it now he is suggesting that the OP ran the tank very low prior to ordering.

Yeah he open to the idea that there may have been a mistake but said he wanted the guy who supposedly filled the tank to have a look to confirm either way. He was very helpful and seemed like he didn’t want to leave a long time customer short.

I had already estimated there was around 400 litres in the tank and it definitely wasn’t near empty before they came.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,836 ✭✭✭Ten Pin

he reckons there is about 400ltr in the tank now

Measure the depth of oil and tank dimensions and calculate how much is in the tank.

https://www.octane.uk.com/tank-volume-calculator/

Good point, if you do have even slightly less than 400 it will strengthen your case.

• Advertisement

Ten Pin wrote: »
    Measure the depth of oil and tank dimensions and calculate how much is in the tank.

https://www.octane.uk.com/tank-volume-calculator/

Very helpful thank you result is 480 litres

• Registered Users Posts: 2,836 ✭✭✭Ten Pin

Is there any chance you measured depth before the alleged fill?

Also look at the tank "feet" which might hold about 20-30 liters more

Ten Pin wrote: »
    Is there any chance you measured depth before the alleged fill?

Also look at the tank "feet" which might hold about 20-30 liters more

Yes I did mention in several posts it was between half full and empty can’t be exactly sure where. It’s about the same now, hence my suspicion that the oil was never delivered. I didn’t record exact details as I didn’t think I’d need it for resolving a dispute with the supplier.

• Registered Users Posts: 213 ✭✭sham58107

The "owner" drove yet does not remember where he stopped, if as you say you have quite unusual set up surely he would remember, the lorry meter has a print out, so there is a copy of delivery in office, all he has to do is check time.
    How many deliveries did he do that day ?

The unusual set up has to do with the tank which the owner did not fill, the only would have only seen the front of the house on that day.

• Registered Users Posts: 213 ✭✭sham58107

tuxy wrote: »
    The unusual set up has to do with the tank which the owner did not fill, the only would have only seen the front of the house on that day.

Yes but if he had helper, then would he not tell him about set up ?

sham58107 wrote: »

Why do you think the owner wants the helper to come take a look?

Yes I doubt my tank is so interesting that they had a chat about it on the day. In fairness to the owner he was very straight with me and said mistakes sometimes happen and he will try to get to the bottom of it either way.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,893 ✭✭✭rex-x

Yes I doubt my tank is so interesting that they had a chat about it on the day. In fairness to the owner he was very straight with me and said mistakes sometimes happen and he will try to get to the bottom of it either way.

Didn't he also say that they would never make such a mistake? Sounds like he knows he messed up

rex-x wrote: »
    Didn't he also say that they would never make such a mistake? Sounds like he knows he messed up

That was the office / depot manager who said that, not the owner who called this evening.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 128 ✭✭Johnny Red Cab

I think at the end of the day you are going to be fobbed off.

Possibly. Will know soon enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,143 ✭✭✭Auguste Comte

sham58107 wrote: »

So he has someone other than himself to blame?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,602 ✭✭✭✭kippy

Possibly. Will know soon enough.

Hopefully this will be resolved to your satisfaction.
    Its well possible that a mistake was made however whether they think resolving it is worth it to retain you as a customer is another matter.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,243 ✭✭✭bobbyss

Would the truck itself have any record of 400l being disposed at a certain time. Some kind of a computerised memory system like texts sent with times and date.

bobbyss wrote: »
    Would the truck itself have any record of 400l being disposed at a certain time. Some kind of a computerised memory system like texts sent with times and date.

Probably a record of everything except house as many houses could be accessed from the same location.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

An awful lot of supposition going on. See what they say first.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,339 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

Fob off as much as they want when they could get a chargeback

• Registered Users Posts: 14,339 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

Fob off as much as they want when they could get a chargeback

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,118 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

I had a delivery issue similar to this, where the courier company was positive that the package had been left behind a flower pot outside my house. I don't have any flower pots. They said they'd check the log of the pda they use to record the deliveries, and call me back. Of course, they didn't, so I called them. "Ah yeah, we checked that, and we definitely delivered to the right house".

I got onto Debenhams and reported the lack of delivery, and they refunded me.

Three weeks later a guy from another part of town returned from his overseas holiday to find my package.

So maybe don't trust them 100%. :-)

Advertisement