Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

NARGC Gizzard Survey

• 20-01-2019 10:19am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,070 ✭✭✭

Back in November the NARGC backed by Countryside Alliance asked for Duck shooters to retain the gizzards of duck shot so that they can be tested for lead ingestion. As you are aware the European Chemicals Agency wants a 100% ban on lead shot and wants steel for all but Military/Police use use.

Anyway, what I'm asking is how many have actually submitted any gizzards. It was hoped 50 from each county, or have we shooters shot ourselves once more in the foot on the "I couldn't be arsed or fek it sure it will grand" mentality

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,363 ✭✭✭J.R.

The first I heard about it was when I opened up the NARGC annual newsletter Gameshot, delivery on Tuesday last.

More about it here from NARGC website

http://nargc.ie/wp-content/uploads/2018/11/Gizzards-Survey-letter.pdf

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,070 ✭✭✭cavan shooter

All the RGC's were told about it.i know it was active on Facebook up our way, I'm worried we are about to shoot ourselves in the foot because if inaction?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,772 ✭✭✭meathstevie

On the other hand when have policy makers ever been bothered with facts when opinions and underlying agendas are so much easier to work from.

I don't think in this case we can just sit back. Has anyone heard if they are getting the numbers they requested. 50 ducks per county since November isn't much.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 458 ✭✭richiedel123

I don't think in this case we can just sit back. Has anyone heard if they are getting the numbers they requested. 50 ducks per county since November isn't much.

Have to agree with you. This is a hugely important project. I know i have a few here myself just waiting for the county to come collecting them. I'll try make an extra effort over the last few days to get a few more.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 65 ✭✭Woodcock shot

I have a few kept in freezer. Our club secretary requested us to keep them early on in the season to be handed in at the end for him to give to county guys.
    Not too many others have bothered to keep them though

I have a few kept in freezer. Our club secretary requested us to keep them early on in the season to be handed in at the end for him to give to county guys.
    Not too many others have bothered to keep them though
    Yet it will be same lazy fekers that will be whinging at a meeting when we are announcing that lead shot is banned, that the 30 year-old shotgun you have isn't able to shoot steel and the bismiuth you need is €40 for a box...then they'll ask you why haven't you lads on the top table stopped this from happening.....I despair...I'm going for a pint..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 238 ✭✭Cadpat_cowboy

Yet it will be same lazy fekers that will be whinging at a meeting when we are announcing that lead shot is banned, that the 30 year-old shotgun you have isn't able to shoot steel and the bismiuth you need is €40 for a box...then they'll ask you why haven't you lads on the top table stopped this from happening.....I despair...I'm going for a pint..

So if lead shoot gets banned dose that mean it's then a crime to own lead shot? Or just use it?

Reading what the European Chemical Agency wants it would be an offence to have lead cartridges on your person and to purchase it. It's a complete ban they want. The cartridge manufacturers will be prohibited from making the lead cartridges.

It's still shot or lead substitute such as Bismuth. Problem is that the steel shot is banned in clay grounds in the USA because of the risk of ricochet, it is very hard on gun barrells and the bismiuth loads are too expensive.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 238 ✭✭Cadpat_cowboy

Reading what the European Chemical Agency wants it would be an offence to have lead cartridges on your person and to purchase it. It's a complete ban they want. The cartridge manufacturers will be prohibited from making the lead cartridges.

It's still shot or lead substitute such as Bismuth. Problem is that the steel shot is banned in clay grounds in the USA because of the risk of ricochet, it is very hard on gun barrells and the bismiuth loads are too expensive.

Well that's a laod of poo! Is this an actual issue or a roundabout way of getting rid of guns?

• Advertisement

No I wouldn't go that faras they say that there is substitutes.. They are claiming that lead ingestion by waders is killing them. So we the shooting and hunting community need to refute the allegation with proof, hence the need for the Gizzards. Cavan RGC are collecting at a meeting on the 8th Feb I'm sure other counties are organising similiar collections. We have one go at this, if the ban on lead shot comes in slot of our older guns become worthless.

No I wouldn't go that far, as they say that there is substitutes..

They are claiming that lead ingestion by waders is killing them. So we the shooting and hunting community need to refute the allegation with proof, hence the need for the Gizzards. Cavan RGC are collecting at a meeting on the 8th Feb I'm sure other counties are organising similiar collections. We have one go at this, if the ban on lead shot comes in slot of our older guns become worthless.

Advertisement