Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Home made burger

Options
  • 20-01-2019 10:34am
    Registered Users Posts: 850 ✭✭✭

Not sure if this is the correct forum but here goes. If you are eating a burger in a restuarant and it is advertised as home made then we know it's home made. If it is not advertised as home made then is it to be taken that it's not home made? I know the simple thing to do it to ask the restuarant which I will next time. The reason why I ask is that I think there is a definite difference between home made and bought in burgers in quality, texture and taste but not always in price!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,777 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

duffysfarm wrote: »
    ...If it is not advertised as home made then is it to be taken that it's not home made?
    Not necessarily. Some restaurants target customers specifically looking for produce that is 'home made' & push the advertising of their wares as such. Other restaurants may not want to portray a folksy feel about their business & may not advertise the produce as 'home made' even though it may be made from scratch in their own kitchens.

Anyway, what does 'home made' mean? Is it something made from raw ingredients in a kitchen on the premises? Is it that a main component in the dish was made from raw ingredients in a kitchen elsewhere? Could it be a burger made by a butcher claiming that his own wares are 'home made'?

What you may consider to be 'bought in' may be just mechanically processed burgers, but I wouldn't take the 'home made' tag at face value.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭huskerdu

I agree with Hill Billy. The term "home made" on the menu means nothing, and is no indication of quality.

You can buy " home made" sandwiches in my local shop which were " home made" in a warehouse close to the M50.

Plenty of pubs and small restaurants buy in a lot of their burgers, but they might be buying them from a mass producer, or buying good quality freshly made burgers from a small local butcher.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 84 ✭✭tomoliver

Homestyle Burgers are the ones you're looking for

• Registered Users Posts: 8,611 ✭✭✭Mooooo

In a restaurant if they are offering burgers cooked rare, well done etc they would want to be made in house as making a burger increases the surface area exposed dramatically so if not made there and lobbed on to the pan straight off they would want to be cooked thru from a h&s point of view. Steaks are different as the inside would not have been exposed to anything so cooking to different levels is safer

• Registered Users Posts: 4,939 ✭✭✭goat2

Mooooo wrote: »
    In a restaurant if they are offering burgers cooked rare, well done etc they would want to be made in house as making a burger increases the surface area exposed dramatically so if not made there and lobbed on to the pan straight off they would want to be cooked thru from a h&s point of view. Steaks are different as the inside would not have been exposed to anything so cooking to different levels is safer

It is a rule by the Health and Safety, that all burgers in restaurants are served well done, if you ask for one, rare, m rare or medium and the restaurant honour that, I think they are crossing the line.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,611 ✭✭✭Mooooo

goat2 wrote: »
    It is a rule by the Health and Safety, that all burgers in restaurants are served well done, if you ask for one, rare, m rare or medium and the restaurant honour that, I think they are crossing the line.

Been in plenty places that ask what way you want it cooked,

Advertisement