Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Where do you buy inner tubes?

Options
  • 20-01-2019 12:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭

I've run out of tubes. I am just wondering where is the best place (online) to buy them from? Any recommendations? Do you have a place you always buy from?

I want 700/25c.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,768 ✭✭✭✭tomasrojo

Local bike shop, unless you're really particular, have unusual wheels, or are going to be flat-broke in the near future and want to buy in bulk while you still have money.

EDIT: I guess one might not be able to get to a bike shop during normal hours too, or hate all your local shops. I just think it's one item any bike shop should be able to help you with, and I really don't want more local shops to close.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,077 ✭✭✭CollyFlower

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

I stock up these. Never had an issue.

https://www.sigmasports.com/item/Sigma-Sports/Inner-Tube-Presta-Valve-48mm-700x20-28-Pack-of-5-Bundle/44IN

€3.60/tube is probably not the cheapest you can do but its far from the worst.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,485 ✭✭✭Fighting Tao

I suppose it depends on what you want to buy. I was buying Contis but the valves blew quite often. I only use the cheap LifeLine ones from Wiggle these days. Less than 2 euro each if you buy 10.

If buying other stuff then PlanetX do them unboxed for 1 pound each. Max 10 per order.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,235 ✭✭✭✭zell12

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭Fian

thanks all

• Registered Users Posts: 10,230 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

Stumbled across this accidentally over the weekend, Halfords have a sale on their Continental tubes, price ranging from €3.45 to €3.60.
    https://www.halfords.ie/cycling/bike-parts/inner-tubes?initMin=0&sort=price-low-to-high

• Registered Users Posts: 6,329 ✭✭✭secman

As opposed to outer ones ! Gets coat and leaves room.......

• Registered Users Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭Mickiemcfist

secman wrote: »
    As opposed to outer ones ! Gets coat and leaves room.......

Your outer coat?

Ribble have five for £12.99 on their own tubes at the moment. Not sure of they are any good, but they have black valves, for those that like the stealthy look. With postage, it works out at five tubes for €18.05

https://www.ribblecycles.co.uk/ribble-ribble-black-edition-tube-1/#pid=47229

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,433 ✭✭✭Gerry

I find the conti tubes great so far. Very little pressure loss over a week. Didn't have a great experience with noname tubes they all lost significant pressure between use , right from the start.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭recedite

I like conti tyres, but not the tubes.

Two things I like to see are a smooth valve stem (cos threads all the way up the stem make for leaky pumping when you're at the side of the road and you suddenly realise your mini pump ain't all its cracked up to be)

And fewer (or no) raised seams down the length of the tube (if like me, you prefer to repair them instead of throwing them in the ditch).
    Cos if there is no seam, then you have much less sanding to do.

Michelin airstop hit the spot.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,033 ✭✭✭irishrover99

Last time i had to buy tubes from any LBS they were 8-9 Euros. That's a few years ago now since i last bought from them.
    Now i get 3 for that price in Halfords so the LBS can keep them at that price.
    They must ship them in from China for about 1 Euro.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,586 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

i think i paid €6 each for them in one of the LBSes recently. i buy them rarely enough that i've never been tempted to buy online (but i rarely buy anything online anyway).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭Mickiemcfist

Last time i had to buy tubes from any LBS they were 8-9 Euros. That's a few years ago now since i last bought from them.

Penny farthing cycles on Camden st has them for about 4 quid which is fine for me. I'd rather the money stayed local.

• Registered Users Posts: 284 ✭✭Puggy

I buy the Michie AirStop in batch from CRC when they are on sale. The other half has Mavic wheels, tyres and tubes. Noticed over the last few months, that I need to pump my wheels up weekly, where’s the other half’s wheels can go 3 or 4 weeks before they drop to 90-80 psi. I’m commuting daily, so I’m checking the bike weekly anyway.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,927 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

My LBS has them for a tenner if you want the box on them but without the box they sell Conti tyres for 4euro each. Needless to say, you can imagine which I buy.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,235 ✭✭✭✭zell12

Bought these in bulk last time
    €1.45 each + postage
    https://www.decathlon.ie/ie_en/700-inner-tube-twin-pack-en-s100.html

• Registered Users Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭Fian

zell12 wrote: »
    Bought these in bulk last time
    €1.45 each + postage
    https://www.decathlon.ie/ie_en/700-inner-tube-twin-pack-en-s100.html

Excellent price. I see from the link that they have bad reviews (Though i am conscious that may be because people have a problem with their tyre they haven't diagnosed and are blaming the tube). I am guessing you have no issue with them? What PSI do you inflate to?

I am looking forward to Decathlon opening in dublin, last I heard they had applied for planning permission near ikea. Anyone know anything beyond that - is there any timeline announced? I hope they are not going to get cold feet over Brexit - over supply chain concerns from France if landbridge becomes problematic.

I love Decathlon and if they are in Dublin I could buy all the stuff I don't need that I reluctantly put back on the shelves when i go there on holiday - since I know I don't have room in my bags for a scuba diving speargun or an inflatable Kayak.

I figure i can get in one big shop before my wife bans me from going back there ever again.......

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,586 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

construction is due to begin soon with a view to being open before christmas.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭Icyseanfitz

anyone know of some good tubes with a removable valve core?

Fian wrote: »
    all the stuff I don't need that I reluctantly put back on the shelves when i go there on holiday - since I know I don't have room in my bags for a scuba diving speargun or an inflatable Kayak..
    I'm afraid you will still have to go to France for spearguns and stun guns, even when it opens in Dublin.
    But you can get an inflatable kayak in Lidl during the summer. Thinner material than the Decathlon one, mind you. But then neither type are much use anyway.

anyone know of some good tubes with a removable valve core?
    I think they are all removable if you screw them anti clockwise too much.
    I have seen it happen to people accidentally, at the side of the road.

Advertisement