Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Noob question about best solution

• 20-01-2019 10:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭

So this is the situation: Internet is in the house, router is in the kitchen.

There is a shed across from the house where cameras need to be set up.

Would also like to set up cameras on the house itself, outside.

I'm reading about wireless cameras, power over ethernet cameras etc.

What's the best option? How difficult is it to set up cameras about 30-50 yards away from the house? Need to also be able to control them and view them when away from the house.

There is actually a camera set up already across from the house...basically there's like a hub/antenna thing on the shed and then there's a hub/antenna thing on the house...they're about 10 yards away from each other. Is this just like a wifi signal strengthener?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,750 ✭✭✭✭altor

Pussyhands wrote: »
    So this is the situation: Internet is in the house, router is in the kitchen.

There is a shed across from the house where cameras need to be set up.

Would also like to set up cameras on the house itself, outside.

I'm reading about wireless cameras, power over ethernet cameras etc.

What's the best option? How difficult is it to set up cameras about 30-50 yards away from the house? Need to also be able to control them and view them when away from the house.

There is actually a camera set up already across from the house...basically there's like a hub/antenna thing on the shed and then there's a hub/antenna thing on the house...they're about 10 yards away from each other. Is this just like a wifi signal strengthener?

Yes they provide a link for the camera back to the network.
    You could do the same for another camera, run cable from point to point or if you have mains in the shed use internet over mains adapters.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭Pussyhands

altor wrote: »
    Yes they provide a link for the camera back to the network.
    You could do the same for another camera, run cable from point to point or if you have mains in the shed use internet over mains adapters.

You lost me. :( Sorry.

Run cable from where to where?

What is internet over mains adapters?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,750 ✭✭✭✭altor

You lost me. :( Sorry.

Run cable from where to where?

What is internet over mains adapters?

From new camera to NVR.

Internet over mains adapters.

Is it possible to use a second router in the house so you don't have multiple cables running to the original router?

Because if I have the router beside the TV, there's going to be a ****load of cables if doing POE?

Or else going for the wireless option means there's going to be a lot of work getting power to them?

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,939 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

There are battery powered wireless options.

Check out Blink and Arlo Cameras.

Though using battery comes with trade offs. Have to recharge every six months or so and they only record when they detect movement via PIR, no continuous recording or more advanced motion detection (person detection, etc.).

• Advertisement

bk wrote: »
    There are battery powered wireless options.

Check out Blink and Arlo Cameras.

Though using battery comes with trade offs. Have to recharge every six months or so and they only record when they detect movement via PIR, no continuous recording or more advanced motion detection (person detection, etc.).

What is usually done in a house? Let's say cameras at two corners? Do they drill into the attic and run power that way? Do people normally have power source in the attic?

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,939 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

What is usually done in a house? Let's say cameras at two corners? Do they drill into the attic and run power that way? Do people normally have power source in the attic?

It isn't unusual for people to have power in the attic. After all most would have a light in the attic. So some plugs isn't much of a stretch.

Yes, they would normally drill into the attic from outside and power the cameras that way.

Wired cameras can be powered two ways, either with a separate power source or you can get PoE (Power over Ethernet) cameras that carry both the data and power over a single ethernet cable. PoE is probably the most dependable option, you don't have to use wifi which can be flaky and interfered with.

Having said that, personally I'm using powered wifi IP cameras, it is a trade off in cost versus reliability.

Note, I'm not an installer, just an interested DIYer, others here may have more practical day to day experience and advice.

bk wrote: »
    It isn't unusual for people to have power in the attic. After all most would have a light in the attic. So some plugs isn't much of a stretch.

Yes, they would normally drill into the attic from outside and power the cameras that way.

Wired cameras can be powered two ways, either with a separate power source or you can get PoE (Power over Ethernet) cameras that carry both the data and power over a single ethernet cable. PoE is probably the most dependable option, you don't have to use wifi which can be flaky and interfered with.

Having said that, personally I'm using powered wifi IP cameras, it is a trade off in cost versus reliability.

Note, I'm not an installer, just an interested DIYer, others here may have more practical day to day experience and advice.

For the PoE ones, you have a switch and this connects to the router also I'm guessing.

If the router is in a public place such as kitchen or sitting room, how do you manage to run all the cables without it looking ugly?

For the PoE ones, you have a switch and this connects to the router also I'm guessing.

If the router is in a public place such as kitchen or sitting room, how do you manage to run all the cables without it looking ugly?

Yes, you buy a switch that supports power injection to PoE devices.

You just need to run one ethernet cable from the router to where the PoE switch is located, that could be hidden in the attic, etc. and from there ethernet to each cable.

Obviously wherever you put the PoE switch, needs power itself and you probably also want to locate a NVR or NAS to record the video to from the cameras. BTW you can buy NVR's with the PoE switch built-in so no need for two separate devices. No idea if any good, but just as an example to give you an idea:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/ANNKE-Security-3-0Megapixels-Weatherproof-Included/dp/B076MTD7PQ/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1548153668&sr=8-4&keywords=poe+nvr

For the single ethernet cable from the living room, well you could bury it is the wall, but that would require opening the wall and plastering. Sometimes it might be possible to fish the cable through the wall if hollow, I did that myself. Or you could just use some cable ducting.

Alternatively you could use a wifi or powerline to connect the router and NVR, though this would be less reliable, at least in terms of accessing the video remotely.

Advertisement