Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

discretionary funds?

• 21-01-2019 1:38am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,984 ✭✭✭

hello all,
    general question: do school principals have a discretionary fund to assist poor students, in the event of parents not coming up with fees/trip costs/books,etc?

regards

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,252 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

I would say each school is different.

However, everything needs to be accounted for now (quite rightly), so it is sometimes money coming out of a teacher or Principal's pocket as the days of the cash box for miscellaneous are gone. I don't think there were any of my colleagues had not used their own money on numerous occasions.

I know in our place the VdeP would sometimes pay the cost of a trip for a child, or more often give something towards the overall cost so we could bring the cost down and allow more children the opportunity to go. The old rigged raffle where a family we knew were in need would get a free trip worked too. We also got money from the local Lions Club and occasional private people who wanted to help keep children stay in school.

We ran a book rental scheme so that was not so much of an issue. The vast majority of our families had medical cards so the students exempt from exam fees. The school paid for the mock exam papers and teachers corrected in house, saving considerable costs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,960 ✭✭✭doc_17

Everything’s gone to pot now. Schools need a procurement person really as this is taking up too much time

Advertisement