Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Google WiFi, Virgin superhub 3, 24 port Switch - will it work?

Options
  • 21-01-2019 4:58am
    Registered Users Posts: 7,843 ✭✭✭

Hi guys,

Hoping someone has done this or is smart enough to know if this works. Essentially I have a Virgin Superhub 3 which I was thinking of adding a 24 port switch to so that I can create a home network.
    Also I want to extend the Wi-Fi range to the garden room at the back of the garden, I was looking at buying a 3 pack of google Wi-Fi and placing the primary one between the Virgin Hub and the switch, and running the other two google Wi-Fi off of ethernet ports coming from the switch to locations of my choosing around the house/garden room.

Is this possible and would there be anything I’d have to be aware of?

Recap:

Virgin Hub > Google Wi-Fi primary > 24 port switch > 2 x secondary Google Wi-Fi’s + computers, media boxes, etc.

Comments

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,794 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

Yes, that should work fine and would be a very nice setup.

You should also look into contacting Virgin to change your connection from IPv6 to IPv4 and then you can activate bridge mode on the Virgin router.

This will mean your Virgin hub will act as just a simple modem, turn off the now un-needed wifi on the virgin router (reduces interference) and allows your Google wifi to instead act as the router, which reduces issues with double NAT, etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,843 ✭✭✭GSPfan

bk wrote: »
    Yes, that should work fine and would be a very nice setup.

You should also look into contacting Virgin to change your connection from IPv6 to IPv4 and then you can activate bridge mode on the Virgin router.

This will mean your Virgin hub will act as just a simple modem, turn off the now un-needed wifi on the virgin router (reduces interference) and allows your Google wifi to instead act as the router, which reduces issues with double NAT, etc.

Thanks very much, I understand what you’re saying about turning it into a modem, I’ve read that before somewhere. I’ve never done any of this before but i think I’m smart enough to muddle through it, I think.

Follow up question....

Forgive me if I’m wrong as I’m just regurgitating what i have read in other parts of the internet but the Virgin Hub now will have a static IP address and the Google Wifi will now handle assignment of IP addresses?

If that is true, is there any limits in terms of IP addresses?

• Registered Users Posts: 788 ✭✭✭fiacha

Your Internet address will be assigned dynamically to the router (Google Wifi) by Virgin Media same as before. This is not a static address and may change whenever the modem is restarted etc. All of the LAN clients will share this address when traffic goes to / from the Internet.

The LAN addresses will be assigned to the clients by the Google Wifi. You can specify the size of the LAN subnet in the Google settings.
    Not familiar with Google Wifi kit, but I think this is the relevant section of the manual https://support.google.com/wifi/answer/7571856?hl=en

Hi guys, just updating this incase anyone happens across it in the future but I’ve done as I stated in the original post and it’s working perfectly so far.

I bought 3 google wifi units for a recently reduced price of €300 and I bought a Netgear GS324 switch for about €80 i think as recommended by a poster in another thread.
    I contacted virgin (via twitter dm) to put me on the ipv4 range as it was needed to put my virgin superhub into modem mode. I put the hub into modem mode and then wired it like I stated in the original post.

I’m getting speed test results over wifi from my iPhone back at 190 Mbps for download speeds now as opposed to about 120 Mbps when I just had the Virgin Superhub as my router.
    Apps such as Instagram and Youtube are loading noticeably quicker (I notice it but maybe others wouldn’t) and the baby camera which was always on the edge of the wifi signal range now has a google wifi 1 metre away from it so it’s got full signal now.

It’s only been a few hours but I’m delighted already at how it is working.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,993 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

And in case anyone's on an older setup, I did something similar with Virgin's aging Cisco EP3925 router. I set it up in bridge mode, hooked it into a Google WiFi unit and an 8-port hub.

The difference for me was huge. The aging router kept crashing (almost daily) because I had too many devices connecting - I found it only had 32mb of memory which isn't good when you've phones, 4 Google home units, Nest, consoles, etc hooking in. Now though it's very stable as the Google WiFi unit neatly keeps track of it all (17 devices currently connecting).

Well recommend the Google WiFi units for extending coverage and stability in your house.

Advertisement