Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Calls for Graham Linehan to be removed from Prime Debate on transgender issues!

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 193 ✭✭Sonic Youth

Never thought I'd be cheering on Graham Linehan. 'Enemy of my enemy' and all that I suppose.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,259 ✭✭✭donkeykong5

VeryTerry wrote: »
    Niall boylan is one of the few in the media who isn't terrified of the pcbrigade.

Of course he's not. He makes his living riling up the slow lads in class.
    Not frightened to speak his mind. Unusual in Ireland these days.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,122 ✭✭✭c montgomery

Yeah. Theres some one on who doesn't identify as a man or a woman. ???

Miriam?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 83,517 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Why do we not let someone vote until they are 18 yet are facilitating these life changing decisions by those under 18?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,084 ✭✭✭statesaver

Uncharted wrote: »
    That's neither here nor there. That person is an adult. The key word being ADULT. Free to do as they wish and the best of luck to them.

They are free to do whatever they want as long I don’t ( tax payer ) have to pay for it.

Someone ( adult ) wants to transition, good. Pay for it yourself.

M

statesaver wrote: »

And also have them pay for any additional infrastructure they want like 3rd, 4th, 5th toilet designations.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,503 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

I think it's logical that a miniscule number of people genuinely need a sex change and its not like its an entirely new phenomenon, it's become such a trendy cause however these days that it's not a stretch to imagine many make the leap from typical teen confusion to the all out decision to switch genders, when you add in the PC loons who relish mass gender identity confusion, your left with a lot of disastrous decisions by young vulnerable people

• Closed Accounts Posts: 342 ✭✭VeryTerry

Not frightened to speak his mind. Unusual in Ireland these days.

Is it? There's far more educated people with better thought out opinions alright.

Same old. Same old. Put Graham back on.

M

This finishes at 10.15, could be an ad break after this segment, Graham might get about 5 minutes worth.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,423 ✭✭✭batgoat

Why do we not let someone vote until they are 18 yet are facilitating these life changing decisions by those under 18?

You can make medical decisions from age 16..

• Registered Users Posts: 4,138 ✭✭✭Uncharted

They are free to do whatever they want as long I don’t ( tax payer ) have to pay for it.

100% agreed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

the ones speaking sense in this show are really shining through

• Registered Users Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭Vincent Vega

Hmm. What a difficult topic.

I'm all for self determination, but as shown in the Louis Theroux documentary it can be very difficult to determine whose will is behind the desire for change where children are involved.
    Oftentimes you'll see a parent behind the push, acting with themselves in mind.

Then again, I can understand many of the reasons presented by those who have made the transition, as to why it would have been better to start the process sooner.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,544 ✭✭✭Marengo

Linehan speaking a lot of sense about trans 'women' in sport having major advantages.

batgoat wrote: »

Indeed, but I dont want to be sitting here in a decade or two with a primetime special on, with women / men asking why was I allowed remove my perfectly healthy reproductive organs? and Im now on medicine for life?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,384 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

Marengo wrote: »
    Linehan speaking a lot of sense about trans 'women' in sport having major advantages.

No idea how that’s allowed given men’s inherent physical advantages. And some of these are contact sports.

Heather making very good point about the changing rooms. Kinda scary actually.

This James Caspian lad can't be trusted anyway. He just let his dog **** on the beach and pegged it on national TV.

• Advertisement

batgoat wrote: »

It's more complex than an ingrown toenail or freezing off a wart though.

Monumental implications for a lifetime,decided upon by a teenager?????

An utter recipe for disaster.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38 ceebee1981

Heather making very good point about the changing rooms. Kinda scary actually.

Do you think the gender of a changing room or a toilet is currently stopping rapists?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

Poor enough piece I feel. I thought there was gonna be a debate. Dissapointing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,305 ✭✭✭✭branie2

No panel discussion

branie2 wrote: »
    No panel discussion

Yeah bit odd that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,758 ✭✭✭Laois_Man

ceebee1981 wrote: »
    Do you think the gender of a changing room or a toilet is currently stopping rapists?

They may well be causing less of them to occur!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Berserker

ricero wrote: »
    Poor enough piece I feel. I thought there was gonna be a debate. Dissapointing.

Not a whole lot of substance in the show. Hard to call it a debate really.

No panel discussion

Indeed,we've just been served a luke warm version of a hot topic.

Hugely disappointed with that kid gloves puff piece. Fcuking RTE :(

M

No panel discussion

The exact thing the topic needs and it's avoided, joke of a public state broadcaster.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,447 ✭✭✭Calhoun

Of course it isn't but there are those who could abuse it further.

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2018/oct/11/transgender-prisoner-who-sexually-assaulted-inmates-jailed-for-life

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

Lineman and the English feminist actually made the most sense i felt.

• Advertisement

Uncharted wrote: »
    Indeed,we've just been served a luke warm version of a hot topic.

Hugely disappointed with that kid gloves puff piece. Fcuking RTE :(

Is it really that much of a hot topic? The numbers are very small.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,004 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

Just eat no meat to save the planet is the current cause du jour of RTE and other media.

Trans issues are an individual thing once one is an adult. Anything else is child abuse IMV. Anyway I think yawn is the correct word for this issue now, so we are told to be vegan now.

I wonder what will be next?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,534 Mod ✭✭✭✭Amirani

Much ado about nothing with the protests and petitions in advance.

I wouldn't be a big fan of having a non-expert such as Linehan feature in the discussion, but the editorial team kept it quite balanced. Overall, it wasn't particularly controversial or ground-breaking, but it was probably a decent piece for people sitting at home that aren't overly familiar with the issue.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,154 ✭✭✭Jeff2

That was like a boxing or mma match with all the build up and sh1t show.

That’s it ? Why the fúck were people saying, shouting, screaming that Greham Linehan get kicked off the show ? The man spoke sense.

So did the Dublin women who made a documentary for Channel 4. That’s worth a watch too. Cant think of her name, sorry.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,896 ✭✭✭sabat

"under new proposals?"
    Where are these coming from? Very mysterious that they didn't even mention it. I'm going to guess it's originating from the 'Zappone Complex' but they don't want to put a name to it yet-hence this kite flying exercise.

That’s it ? Why the fúck were people saying, shouting, screaming that Greham Linehan get kicked off the show ? The man spoke sense.

So did the Dublin women who made a documentary for Channel 4. That’s worth a watch too. Cant think of her name, sorry.

That's how censorship works, he has been judges to have wrong think on this subject so has to be shut down.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,365 ✭✭✭ceadaoin.

No but it allows people to challenge why they might be in facilities of the wrong gender or make them think twice about taking the chance. In the UK most sexual assaults in facilities like that take place in unisex ones. It's all about opportunity

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

That guy at the end who wanted to do a survey of people who regretted going down this road and the college warned him off

Sinister times we live in

I might have misunderstood the mother from Wexford but she said something along the lines of she asked her kid was he gay around the end of primary school because he was a little different.
    I was a little different and had lots of different likes/interests at that age compared to my peers but my mother never asked me was I gay.
    Yeah, that set off my alarm bells.

When I hear of these kids supposedly declaring they are transgender at 5 years old, I always assume there is a nutcase parent putting ideas in their head. Asking them leading questions, coaching them etc. And then you see the parents and....well I haven't been surprised yet.

Boring piece overall and much ado about nothing regarding Linehan's inclusion. The views he expressed were fairly common sense.

• Advertisement

After all that stink, Linehan spoke for probably less than 3 minutes and generally made some pretty reasonable points.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,365 ✭✭✭ceadaoin.

After all that stink, Linehan spoke for probably less than 3 minutes and generally made some pretty reasonable points.

I honestly think that's why some parties are so keen to shut him and others down. They talk sense and they know it. Can't have people seeing reason. So they try to paint them as frothing at the mouth bigots when that's usually far from the case.

• Registered Users Posts: 831 ✭✭✭satstheway

Teen years are bad enough (image and all) and then one day a parent asks you ARE YOU GAY.
    FFS. Why not hand them a rope.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,857 ✭✭✭professore

There was no debate!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,009 ✭✭✭conorhal

sabat wrote: »
    "under new proposals?"
    Where are these coming from? Very mysterious that they didn't even mention it. I'm going to guess it's originating from the 'Zappone Complex' but they don't want to put a name to it yet-hence this kite flying exercise.

The proposals that will, like all this legislation, swanny through the Dail with little or no debate.
    Given the fact stated in the show, that vast majority of kids diagnosed with gender dysphoria grow out of it, why are we sending children to what look like indoctrination camps dressed up as treatment centers?

Could this new clinical growth industry, which is drenched in activist raised money, also partly explain the sudden growth in diagnoses? No wonder their approach to "unquestioningly" accept the patients assertion that they are trans.

I swear in 50yrs time we will be having tribunals (akin to those regards the Magdelene Laundries) about how the state could facilitate putting children into such institutions.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,849 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

They didn't get him removed so #turnoffprimetime was trending on Twitter!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,543 ✭✭✭Dante7

It wasn't Graham Linehan that the radical trans activists were afraid of and protesting against, they were afraid of a news program calling them out on their nonsense. The doctors, surgeons and other experts did the damage there.

They didn't get him removed so #turnoffprimetime was trending on Twitter!

That’s sad. Not on Twitter myself but I’d imagine all 62 of them are outraged :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,741 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

Something very Stasi like with trying to shut down the debate. Get people not to watch Primetime and protests outside by LabourYouth.

Regardless of your opinion it is an issue that has the right to be debated and people want and need to be informed.

Edit: auto correct

All eyes on Kursk. Slava Ukraini.

• Advertisement

That’s sad. Not on Twitter myself but I’d imagine all 62 of them are outraged :pac:

Will be allot more than that, as they are a minority group all the others will dogpile on in solidarity.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement