Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Minimum spend of €10 in order to use debit card @ The Academy?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,087 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

wassie wrote:
    I fail to see how that makes them a smart ass.

Why would you assume that there isn't a minimum spend? It's not unheard of & was the norm up until not too long ago.

I know most places don't have a minimum spend but I also know that some do. I wouldn't be shocked to get to the cash register to find minimum spend anywhere. There's even a minimum amount of fuel that most filling stations sell.

• Registered Users Posts: 585 ✭✭✭the heathen

Sleeper12 wrote: »
    Why would you assume that there isn't a minimum spend? It's not unheard of & was the norm up until not too long ago.

I know most places don't have a minimum spend but I also know that some do. I wouldn't be shocked to get to the cash register to find minimum spend anywhere. There's even a minimum amount of fuel that most filling stations sell.

Well you're a minority. I only know of one place that I frequent regularly and I'm a constant card-user. Your experience isn't everyone else's.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

Never have I encountered anywhere with a minimum spend requirement on a card.

Never have I encountered anywhere with a minimum spend requirement on a card.

I don't mean this as a put down but you are obviously very young.

Believe it or not tapping is only out a few years now. Chip & pin is still "new" technology in many countries. Only 4 or 5 years ago it was common place to have minimum spend in filling stations and spar shops. Some retailers charged extra for you to use your card.
    Using your card in a pub is a fairly new idea too

Some retailers haven't caught up or kept up with the fast moving technology. I remember when we got chip & pin. There were still retailers using the swipe or believe it or not the mechanical machine that swiped your card and you got a carbon copy of the in print of the card itself.

Ireland had chip and pin years before they had it in the US.

You need to accept that some retailers are slower adopting newer technologies.

Believe it or not tapping is only out a few years now. Chip & pin is still "new" technology in many countries. Only 4 or 5 years ago it was common place to have minimum spend in filling stations and spar shops. Some retailers charged extra for you to use your card.
    Using your card in a pub is a fairly new idea too

Some retailers haven't caught up or kept up with the fast moving technology. I remember when we got chip & pin. There were still retailers using the swipe or believe it or not the mechanical machine that swiped your card and you got a carbon copy of the in print of the card itself.

Ireland had chip and pin years before they had it in the US.

You need to accept that some retailers are slower adopting newer technologies.
    :D:D I'm 75 tomorrow and, I suspect, have been using various iterations of payment cards longer than yourself.
    My point stands; I have never come across an establishment with minimum spend restrictions on card payments.

• Advertisement

:D:D I'm 75 tomorrow and, I suspect, have been using various iterations of payment cards longer than yourself.
    My point stands; I have never come across an establishment with minimum spend restrictions on card payments.

Well we know that's not true based on your comments :)

• Registered Users Posts: 13,183 ✭✭✭✭Purple Mountain

Happy Birthday you auld goose!!!!!!

To thine own self be true

• Registered Users Posts: 585 ✭✭✭the heathen

Sleeper12 wrote:

I'm 75 tomorrow

Magnificent.

Well we know that's not true based on your comments :)
    Absolute gospel

https://www.irishtimes.com/business/financial-services/contactless-payments-introduced-1.879579

A pretty new technology first introduced in Ireland late 2011 by Bank Of Ireland

https://www.thejournal.ie/contactless-payments-visa-debit-ireland-967461-Jun2013/

In the first few years of contactless payments minimum spend was very common

https://www.boards.ie/ttfthread/2057515224

• Advertisement

Absolute gospel

Ah no offense intended. I just think some younger posters are expecting change to happen too quickly. Some retailers are slower to adopt than others.

I wouldn't be shocked or surprised to see minimum spend anywhere for the next few years tbh

• Registered Users Posts: 3,596 ✭✭✭wassie

Believe it or not tapping is only out a few years now....

I think your missing the point. This isn't thread isn't a discussion on the history of EFT point of sale practices by merchants, the OP was asking if this (minimum spend) is a common practice, or even legal?

Anecdotally it would seem that the consensus is no it isn't common. Legal - definitely. Against the merchant's card payment service provider's T&Cs - depends.

wassie wrote:
    I think your missing the point. This isn't thread isn't a discussion on the history of EFT point of sale practices by merchants, the OP was asking if this (minimum spend) is a common practice, or even legal?

I've never had so many posters tell me what the thread is or isn't before.

I'm not sticking up for minimum spend. It's definitely not illegal and its still reasonably common. I'm genuinely surprised at the outrage on the issue & I'm just pointing out that it's still a new technology to some retailers (many still don't have contactless at all) & maybe there is an overreaction here to what is really a minor inconvenience.

Lots of posters seem to have done away with cash altogether & I'm delighted for them but it will take a few more years to drag some people & retailers with them.

I see lots of anger against the retailer who made no promises but no anger against visa and mastercard who seem to have sold the false hope of no minimum spend time.

A sign on the door saying that we accept cards does not guarantee that they will accept your card or that there will be no minimum charge.

A welcome sign or any sign inviting you into a bar or nightclub doesn't guarantee that you will be let in.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,402 ✭✭✭corcaigh07

Some light reading here: https://www.aibms.com/help/risk-compliance/payment-services-directive-psd2/

In a nutshell, retailers are not permitted to charge more for card than they would for cash.

Don’t believe there is legislation to prevent minimum spend but it is certainly frowned upon by acquirers and Visa/MasterCard.

• Registered Users Posts: 736 ✭✭✭TCM

steo_magra wrote:
    A particular pub in Blanchardstown has a 30 euro minimum spend. So obviously they don’t like contactless but this has to be illegal! It boils my blood as it’s expensive enough as it is. Paid less in a hotel for a bottle of wine at the weekend.

Name please?

• Registered Users Posts: 736 ✭✭✭TCM

redcup342 wrote:
    Just ask if you can pay by card first then they can tell you if there is a minimum spend and go elsewhere.

He was perfectly correct in walking out. If your in buisiness the facilitate the customers not screw them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,387 ✭✭✭redcup342

thereality wrote: »
    It takes about €30 of spending to make a pin be required. A contactless payment is quicker than cash

It's 30 euros per transaction, you get a certain amount of taps, in my experience it seems to be 3 or 4 (so 3 or 4 drinks, less if they used the car elsewhere before hand)
    I have never seen this at all. I worked in a shop and one year working at the till I had once had someone checking their online balance in front of me.

I have, a number of times, persons card has been tapped, bartender says they have to enter card and pin as they've tapped too many times, person thinks they'll end up paying twice and refuse, bartender says they cannot give them their drink.

Person goes off checking the banking app in front of the barman wasting everyones time.
    Do you realise that the minimum spend does not address any of these issues? In fact having no minimum spend results in zero complications.

It fixes the issue because rounds are fine since it'll have the occurrences of having to enter a pin.
    What should the guy have done? Went looking for an ATM, spend time going to it, queue at the ATM and then pay for semi-warm drink sitting on a counter for 5- 20mins?

Bring cash and have enough to cover you before you order something, what if the machine is broken for instance ? Or your banks system is down and cannot authorise the transaction ?
    Do shops take shoplifting out of employees wages?

No, but people that are working in bars and restaurants and have customers that walk off can and do get it docked from their wages.
    In 2019, paying by card should be as easy as cash. Most shops are required to have zero minimum spend. Why should customers have to clarify, if a store is breaking the terms of merchant card services?

Fine then I'll walk into a car dealership and demand they let me pay for my car with my Mastercard, it's legal tender they have to take it :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭doublej

corcaigh07 wrote: »
    Some light reading here: https://www.aibms.com/help/risk-compliance/payment-services-directive-psd2/

In a nutshell, retailers are not permitted to charge more for card than they would for cash.

Don’t believe there is legislation to prevent minimum spend but it is certainly frowned upon by acquirers and Visa/MasterCard.
    The discussion, though it has veered off topic on many occasions was about minimum spend.PSD2 outlawed the practice of surcharging personal debit and credit card transactions but made no reference whatsoever to Minimum spend.

Your credit/ debit card provider has NOT guaranteed to you that you will not have a minimum purchase applied by a merchant.

Your contract for purchase is with the service provider( shop/cafe etc), if they wish to impose rules regarding the acceptance of any payment type( including high denomination notes), that is their business decision.
    It may be foolish, shortsighted, old fashioned, anti consumer etc , but it’s their call.
    Incidentally, anyone that, knowing there to be a minimum spend policy in place fills a can of fuel, or orders a drink or food and then attempts to force the employee to put through the sale at the lower price is a total dick.

• Registered Users Posts: 937 ✭✭✭swampy353

doublej wrote: »
    The discussion, though it has veered off topic on many occasions was about minimum spend.PSD2 outlawed the practice of surcharging personal debit and credit card transactions but made no reference whatsoever to Minimum spend.

Your credit/ debit card provider has NOT guaranteed to you that you will not have a minimum purchase applied by a merchant.

Your contract for purchase is with the service provider( shop/cafe etc), if they wish to impose rules regarding the acceptance of any payment type( including high denomination notes), that is their business decision.
    It may be foolish, shortsighted, old fashioned, anti consumer etc , but it’s their call.
    Incidentally, anyone that, knowing there to be a minimum spend policy in place fills a can of fuel, or orders a drink or food and then attempts to force the employee to put through the sale at the lower price is a total dick.

It doesn't change the fact that as part of the aibms t&c's the retailer signs up to says that they cannot put a limit the transaction value for cards (minimum or maximum)

I agree with you if someone goes into the shop knowing there is a minimum spend on card, that is a dick move but retailers don't advertise the fact they have a minimum spend. Only comes to light when someone is trying to pay for something in good faith.

The government can specify max contactless transactions, they should legislate for this issue too

• Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭doublej

swampy353 wrote: »
    It doesn't change the fact that as part of the aibms t&c's the retailer signs up to says that they cannot put a limit the transaction value for cards (minimum or maximum)

I agree with you if someone goes into the shop knowing there is a minimum spend on card, that is a dick move but retailers don't advertise the fact they have a minimum spend. Only comes to light when someone is trying to pay for something in good faith.

The government can specify max contactless transactions, they should legislate for this issue too
    The Government have no function in setting or limiting the minimum/maximum contactless amount, currently €30.
    Michael Noonan, in a Budget Day speech managed to weave an announcement of an Industry decision to raise the €15 max to €30 max as part of an enforced reduction of Interagency fees, PSD2 related.
    Similarly, the decision by the Plastic Card Industry (PCI) to increase the fees charged to businesses for processing contactless cards were not required to be authorised or approved by either the Central Bank or the Financial Services Regulator.
    I’m not looking for extra Govt interference, just pointing out the facts

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 41,645 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

Go to Iceland if you want to see how a true cashless society could work.... It's fantastic.

Even the coffee docks at the most remote waterfalls have contactless payments.
    All taxi drivers can take tap and go.... It's brilliant.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,596 ✭✭✭wassie

The Scandinavian countries like Norway and Sweden have effectively becoming cashless societies also. Convenient yes but there will (for myself) always be a need for cash such as those rare times the card networks do go down. I also like the anonymity of cash still.......

• Registered Users Posts: 14,582 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

sydthebeat wrote: »
    Go to Iceland if you want to see how a true cashless society could work.... It's fantastic.

Even the coffee docks at the most remote waterfalls have contactless payments.
    All taxi drivers can take tap and go.... It's brilliant.

Is that you Kerry Ketona?

Dav010 wrote: »
    Is that you Kerry Ketona?

That's a very weird comment?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,582 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

sydthebeat wrote: »
    That's a very weird comment?

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=SYk44n7M3hQ

• Registered Users Posts: 69,013 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Can people reign in:

1: The quips - this isn't AH
    2: The americanised, crude language

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 7,415 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

You're really doubling down on this?

My What you are missing is that everytime you buy something you have a debt. You owe for the goods or services. A debt isn't something that has to be owed for a period of time. A debt & payment of the debt can take place, in seconds at the cash register at your local filling station. A debt can be paid immediately or the retailer can offer credit terms. Either way it is a debt.

If I repair your shower, walk down the stairs and have you a COD invoice, how do you describe you & I at that moment in time. You are in debt to me. Right there & then. It's the exact same in a filling station. You put 5 euros of fuel in the car & you owe 5 euros at the cash desk. Owing money is called? Anybody? Anybody? That's right. It's called a debt.

Trust me when I tell you this, I am not wrong about this. Like I said a good retailer knows the laws governing his business.
    You are wrong. The concept of legal tender only applies to debt. Retail purchases to not create a debt, it's usually an exchange.

You are wrong. The concept of legal tender only applies to debt. Retail purchases to not create a debt, it's usually an exchange.

Have you even read the thread??

It has already been established that putting fuel in your car creates a debt. So does me installing a shower. Getting your hair cut, getting a lift in a taxi, eating in a restaurant, using a beauty salon all create debts and legal tender applies. Anything where you consume the product before paying is a debt.

Buying a Mars bar at the till does not create debt. If you take a bite out of the Mars bar then you have created debt.

I thought this was put to bed a week ago.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 302 ✭✭RFOLEY1990

seen a minimum amount of say €10 to get cash back in lot of places

usually it's under an amount (€5 in my local shop) they charge €0.30c extra

Advertisement