Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Minimum spend of €10 in order to use debit card @ The Academy?

Options
12346»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 816 ✭✭✭Gazzmonkey

I dropped into a bar in Douglas, Cork for a pint a few weeks ago while the other half was having a spa treatment. Ordered a pint - €5.50 or thereabouts.

Handed over my debit card and the barman said minimum was €10 per transaction.

I put my card back into my wallet and walked out leaving the freshly poured pint on the bar counter. It was during the day so the pub was pretty quiet.

Went into another bar across the road who had no minimum for purchases and enjoyed a pint there.

If everyone did this, pubs and shops would soon drop this stupid self inflicted rule.

Good man, I do the same.. should see the look on their faces.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,240 ✭✭✭Rowley Birkin QC

redcup342 wrote: »
    maximoose wrote: »
    Card machines are usually in plain sight. Shouldn't have to ask if the bar are stingey cûnts and enforcing a minimum spend.
    VISA sign on the door to the pub. No mention of minimum spend.
    Also, don't be a d!ck. It's not my fault if a pub has a Visa debit facility but refuses to use it.

It's not always because the bar is stingy, it's also because people buying drinks with Touch payments use up their pin free transactions quickly when paying for a pints and then hold up the whole bar when the barman has to explain to a drunk person that the transaction didn't go through because they can only use a certain amount of touch payments per day.

Then you have them arguing with you saying they are going to check their online banking and to wait before they will put in a pin, all the while other customers are waiting.

It's easier just to enforce a minimum spend then you don't have any complications.

Ordering something like a drink and then walking off because they don't let you pay by Card is a bit ridiculous, some places would just take it out of the persons wages.

Just ask if you can pay by card first then they can tell you if there is a minimum spend and go elsewhere.

I'll take things that never happen for $200 please Alex.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,596 ✭✭✭wassie

Sleeper12 wrote: »
    I thought this was put to bed a week ago.

Agreed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,144 ✭✭✭paddy19

The suspicion is that the preference of merchants for cash has to do with tax dodging.

Card payments are easily tracked by auditors and the revenue.

Much more likely than a reluctance to adopt new technology.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,087 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

paddy19 wrote: »
    The suspicion is that the preference of merchants for cash has to do with tax dodging.

Card payments are easily tracked by auditors and the revenue.

Much more likely than a reluctance to adopt new technology.

I doubt it to be honest. They would still be getting more than enough cash to avoid cash if that is what they wanted to do.

Speaking of tracking & big brother I find it amazing the outcry at the thought of the Public Service Card & yet we leave a complete history of where we were, what time we were there & how much we spent when using cards.

On another note some States in the US are making cashless shops illegal. They say cashless shops discriminate against the elderly who might not be tech savvy & the very poor who are unlikely to even have a bank account let alone a debit card.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,236 ✭✭✭mcmoustache

wassie wrote: »
    Convenient yes but there will (for myself) always be a need for cash such as those rare times the card networks do go down.

I myself wouldn't want an entry for "7.5g Soapbar Cannabis, Anto's Chipper, finglas. €40.00" on my statement. Not to mention perfectly legal stuff than one might want kept discreet.

Advertisement