Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I don't think I'm a Runner...

Options
  • 21-01-2019 11:01am
    Registered Users Posts: 354 ✭✭

Sssshthhtory!

Currently starting week 2 of my training for Belfast Marathon on May 5th. So thought there would be no better time to start a log. Bit of background on myself:

Played GAA till I was 15. Stop when I discovered women and booze. Didn't do a drop of exercise until I 25/26 as I coasted on my youthful metabolism to burn the chippers and pints away. A life event I wont go into kick started me going to the Gym in 2014. Didn't really like, didn't hate it. Felt like work. But knew I had to do something.

A few colleagues got a team together for the 2014 Run in The Dark. With 8 weeks out, I began to train. I did up to 7km in training and I remember coming home thinking I couldn't believe I could go so far. Holy f**k! Race day came, I ran the 10km in 50mins and had my very first runners high. Holy f**k that was awesome!

I was hooked.

But like of new runners, I went out too fast too often and hurt my knee. Silly stuff that stopped me from running. I didn't run again until 2016. I did physio in between but it was very reactive. The stretches stopped the pain but it would come back very easliy. Switched up my physio and got exercises to be proactive with the injury. Strengthening the knee. Set my self a goal on the day of DCM 2016 to run it in 1 years time.

So after never running more than 10K, I researched a ton and slowly built up my mileage and consistency. Doing distances for the first time and getting PB's in them all. PB's are easy when you've a ground floor of nothing.

Did the marathon, raised money for charity and truly caught the running bug. Went out very conservatively and finished with a time of 4:29. Loving every minute.

Goal for 2018 was

- consistent running - done with 750 miles for the year
    - break 2 hour half marathon - did twice. Connemarathon half (1:45) and Tullamore half (1:38)
    - Break 45 mins for 10K - Did it at the Sandymount Night run (43mins)

PBs are

1 mile: 6:34
    5K: 21:37
    10K: 43:22
    Half M: 1:38
    Full M: 4:29

The 1 mile and 5K PBs were recorded during my 10K as I've never raced that particular time. But looking at the times, you can see there's a problem. My 5K,10K, HM pacings are pretty similar. I put this down to never doing speed work. Last year was all about consistent, steady running. I didn't want to irritate the knee. Now, I feel I have a good base this year to do regular speed work, run more miles and drink less booze to do a good time at BCM.

Goals for 2019
    - 1,000 miles. Need to average 20 miles per week. Currently at 100 miles 3 weeks into Jan.
    - Sub 3:45 marathon - Hoping to do that in Belfast

So here it is week 1 of training

Monday:
    • 2 miles into work easy
    • 4 mile lunch run steady
    Tuesday
    • 2 miles into work easy
    • 2 miles home from work easy
    Wednesday
    • 2 miles into work easy
    • 5 miles home from work slow
    Thursday
    • 2 miles into work easy
    • 3 miles home tempo
    Friday
    • 2 miles into work easy
    • 2 miles home from work easy
    Saturday
    • 10 Miles steady
    Sunday
    • Rest

37 miles total

Week 2 today. Feeling fresh. Plan to get a massage this week or next.

Thanks for listening,

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 354 ✭✭AhhHere

BCM Training Week 2.

I'm following a 3.30 plan I found online. Like most plans, it has rest days but I run in and out of work so if a rest day falls on a weekday, I still have 4 easy miles that day. Two miles into work and two miles home from work. I try keep them super slow.

The other weekdays, if I have a tempo run for example, I would do that as part of my run home. So I get the 2 morning miles in as an added bonus. I've found them good because I shake out any aching muscles and automatically run super slow because I'm not awake yet to do anything more.

Hoping the additional miles don't hinder me but i'm paying close attention to my body and keeping an eye out for any niggles.

Monday (6 miles)
    • 2 miles into work - Easy 9:50/mile
    • 4 miles lunch run - Easy 8:50/mile - probably a little faster than I planned but I find that can happen when trying to get back in time within the lunch hour incl showering, changing clothes etc

Tuesday (9.1 miles)
    • 2 miles into work - Easy 9:46/mile
    • 7 Miles Intervals - 1m warm up, 4x7mins interval/3min rest, 1 mile cool down 8:44/mile average (intervals were 6:45-7:00)

Wednesday (8.1 miles)
    • 2 miles into work - Easy 10:05/mile - the legs were heavy
    • 6 miles home slow 9:06/mile

Thursday (6.3 miles)
    • 2 miles into work 9:28/mile
    • 4 miles - 1 mile warm up + 3 miles brisk 8:39 mile average (7:30-8:00 when brisk)

Friday (2 Miles)
    • 2 miles into work 9:45/mile
    • no run home. This was a rest day on the plan so decided to walk home instead

Saturday (11.5 miles)
    • 11.5 miles Long run 8:51/mile around phoenix park. Met a friend and went out earlier in the morning than I usually would. Park was packed with runners and walkers. don't know if it's a January thing or that time of the morning but it was great to see. Run went well. Plan had it on Sunday but I wanted one rest day this week and wanted the long run on tired legs. Felt strong and fresh throughout. We tried to incorporate as much hills as possible too. I love hills.

Sunday (0 Miles)
    • Rest. I take my rest very seriously :D. Feet up and stuck to the couch.

Total: 43.3 miles. My longest ever training week.

Next week I've a wedding on Thursday so have to do my training runs in the morning as part of my commute. Friday is a rest day in the plan so that fits nicely. Long run next week is 13 miles and total miles should be 43 again before a lower mileage week following that. I've a sports massage booked in this week too on Wednesday which is not in my usual place but it's handier for work. So if they're good, I'll book in a few times between now and Belfast.

Have my accommodation booked for Belfast too so I'm pretty excited.

New mile PB last night during intervals. 6:31min/mile. 3 seconds better than the last.

Probably a sign I'm going too fast but good feeling nonetheless. Will be more disciplined going forward

Week 3 down. 43 miles done. Same as week 2 but these 43 were much harder due to a few obstacles in the way. So I'm proud of myself getting them into the legs. I ran every run on the plan but less commuter miles due to a wedding Thursday. This week can be summarised by the word, discipline. Bit of a break down.

Monday (6.1 miles)
    - 2 miles into work 9:41/mile
    - 4 miles lunch run. Went out with colleagues at a slow pace (10.30 min miles). They're building up their mileage and consistency. So I'm showing them the route and enjoy introducing new people to running. At mile 2, they headed back to the office while I did another loop at a quicker pace (7:45/m). Average pace was 8:44

Tuesday (9.1 miles)

- 2 miles into work (9:46/m)
    - 7 miles intervals (1 mile warm up - 3 x 1 miles with 400m recovery - 3 miles cool down) 8:44m on average. As mentioned above I got a new mile PB of 6:31/m during one interval. which is a "nice to have" but a sign I need to work on my discipline and not run so hard. My cool down was longer than planned because I skipped the 4th interval due to my left knee being tight. This is the knee I had issues with going back to my first post. It was tight so decided it was best to skip that interval and run slowly home. I was happy with my discipline in this sense. I had a sports massage booked in for Wednesday evening so knew I could get it looked at.

My knee is a funny one. Initially when the pain came, it would hurt standing on it for a few hours. Now after slowly building up my mileage it doesn't hurt. But I do feel it if I have a few months of running. Pressure but no pain is good - as my physio says. I foam roll and stretch every evening but I'm just not a flexible man. Every now and then I need a sports massage to "reset" it. So I had to be smart during Tuesday session not to aggravate it.

Wednesday (7.2 miles)
    - 7 miles slow Wednesday morning as I couldn't run in the afternoon due to my massage being booked in. Meant I'd to get up extra early to fit it in, which I was happy to do. But the week I was having, meant something had to go wrong. I woke up and felt something in my foot. Under my right foot's little toe was a splinter. I actually felt it the night before but ignored hoping it would go away (this doesn't work FYI). So woke up Wednesday and was quickly reminded of it when I put my feet on the floor out of bed. Now, I'm not a flexible man (see above) so trying to pull a splinter out of the underside of my foot with my big tried morning head was some challenge. I managed it but took me 15 minutes to do so. Grand, did it, got out the door late. Not ideal as I was trying for a slow steady run and probably ran a bit faster than I wanted to. (9:10/min miles).
    - Did a yoga session at lunch. Work got someone one in to do it. Trying to make it a monthly thing. My inflexibility was on full show for the office. But I enjoyed it and hoping it helps towards my running.
    - Sports massage in the evening. Tried a new place I found on Groupon as it was convenient for after work. Lovely folks and will go back. Needed that massage since Christmas but I kept delaying it (again ignoring my needs is not helping)

Thursday (3.3 miles)
    - cold and frosty morning. Slippy paths everywhere. I was off to a wedding at lunch and needed to get my miles in (Discipline) So this was another obstacle I'd to overcome with training this week. Plan was to do 4 miles but I had to find a patch with the least ice (about 300m long) and repeat it. Not ideal and I got funny looks from those waiting at the bus stop. But I think I'm more proud of these miles than any. Getting out and doing them. (8:57min/mile)

Friday (0 miles)
    - Rest day on the plan and I'd the day off work so no commuter miles for me. Legs felt good after the sports massage on Wednesday and no double days since Tuesday.

Saturday (4.1 miles)

- nothing craze here. 4 steady miles at 8:31/mile pace. Maybe a tad fast but I like to run by feel and the fresh legs had me feeling good. Then hit the pub for the sport. Dublin won, we won't talk about the rest. (Leeds fan here too - so not good on all accounts)

Sunday (13.5 miles)
    - Out to Phoenix Park with my mate. We try to do as hilly as possible. So up the Kyber twice. and around Furry Glenn wherever possible. Legs felt good. Happy with that week. 8:44 pace

Looking forward to a "quieter" week now with the running. Give the body time to recover. I've no big engagements either so I can focus on hitting all my miles again. Really enjoy training. Officially signed up for BCM on Friday too. Getting real.

This week's word to summarise training: B*ll*cks

Frustrating week 4 of training complete. Knee bothered me enough to skip two days and really stretch it out.

Total miles: 26.4

Monday (2 miles)
    - 2 miles into work (9:28/min)
    - No lunch run as knee was tight from the 13.5 miler the day before and today was a rest day on the plan anyway. Let's not overwork it if I dont have to

Tuesday (9 miles)
    - 2 miles into work (9:20/min)
    - 7 miles home intervals - 1 mile warm up, 800m fast (6:45 - 7:00min/miles), 2 min recovery x 6 + 1-2 miles warm down. (8:48/min on average)

Wednesday (8 miles)
    - 2 miles into work - passed the 200 mile mark for 2019. Delighted with this as I'm trying to reach 1,000 for 2019. 20% there!
    -6 miles home - slow (9:23/min). Disappointing here as I was had 8 miles on the plan. Decided to cut it short because my knee was at me again.

Thursday (7 miles)
    - 2 miles into work (9:26/min)
    - 5 miles home (9:43/min). This was meant to be a tempo run but the speed work earlier in the week has really affected my knee. So I do this slowly. Very slowly. At points, I didnt think I'd get home. Got back to the apt and was seriously bummed my knee is stopping me from running. I spent the evening foam rolling and stretching and decide to take a few days rest.

Friday (0 miles)
    - This was a scheduled rest day in the plan and I had a morning meeting meaning I didn't have to commute. Walked home

Saturday (0 miles)
    - Skipped a 4 miler and stretched my glutes and quads a bit more. I usually focus on my hamstrings and calves so decided to do a bit more

Sunday (0 miles)
    - Skipped my 8 miler. Would rather miss a day than be out of action for a while. I bought some epsom salts and made a compression mixture where I soaked some tea towels in a mixtures and wrapper my legs in it for 20 mins. Never used epsom salts before so not sure if it worked. I *think* it did but possibly a placebo.
    - I also foam rolled and looked up alternative stretches for the various leg muscles too in case I wasnt fully getting them. Did one for the quads where you sort of lunge forward while on your knees - Really felt this so I'm hoping it works.

Overall a frustrating week skipping two runs and cutting one short. But hopefully it benefits me in the long run. The stretches/foam rolling/epsom soak seemed to do the trick yesterday. I ran in this morning into work and no pain or tightness. I think that lunge/quad stretch really worked.

With this plan, I've upped my weekly mileage + introduces speedwork + commuted on rest days. It's a lot for the body so I've to train smarter. I thought my pacing of the long runs was too fast but I was able to keep a conversation throughout. I definitely think my interval speedwork was too fast. Need to work on this.

This week my goal is to do all the runs but not do any structured speedwork. Do a few strides on Tuesday/Thursday, add some hills instead and leave it at that. 11 weeks and 6 days till BCM now.

If people have any advice or feedback, I'd love to hear from your experiences.

pac_man wrote: »
    I'm not sure what your goal is as you've stated 3:45 in your opening post but are following a sub 3:30 plan? If you're aiming for 3:45, your long run is too quick. It's probably even a little quick for sub 3:30. If you ran it by feel, then fair enough but you have to be really honest yourself and have a good sense of self awareness when your running by feel. It would probably be no harm to deliberately slow them down at something slower than 9 min mile.

I think you could space your runs a bit better. If your doing a long run on a Sunday(arguably too quick), I'd move that interval session to a Wednesday or Thursday if possible. That way you have more recovery between harder days.

If you've dodgy knees, try and run on grass as much as you can.That way you'll lessen the impact. There's plenty of grass loops and trails that you can do in the phoenix park. Is incorporating hills possibly counter productive if you have knee issues? You need to be very careful particularly when running downhill, I'd make a conscious effort to slow down when running downhill or even better, avoid the hills altogether until you get your knee sorted.

I read this before lunch and it kind of annoyed my (That's my fault not yours). You've told me what I didn't want to hear but what I needed to hear. So thank you Pac_Man - I do appreciate the dose of realism. You're right about pacings being too fast. I kind of knew it my heart of hearts but didn't want to believe. I did well during my first marathon to go slow during training. Almost frustratingly slow and I got through okay. Need to take that on board here too.

The 3.30 plan I picked because of my 1:38 hm time. Which is 3 hours 3:36 using the standard predictor of HM time x2+20mins. I thought I could run 3:30 with improvements to my nutrition and more consistent running. Looking now, it's not realistic. Although I still like the look of the structure of the plan but will change the pacings to something like this:

Easy recovery: 9:30-10:10
    Marathon pace:8:30-8:45
    Tempo: 7:45-7:55
    Interval: 7:20-7:30
    Strides: 95% effort

Which all look doable and probably a bit more realistic. It's funny, I'm always telling friends and colleagues to slow right down when they ask about pacing but sometimes it's hard to take your own advice.

Thanks for the feedback

• Advertisement

Thanks pac_man. Very kind words and advice I'll take on board. Appreciate you replying to a noob round these parts too. Thanks!

Week 5 of training done and 11 weeks until Belfast.

This week's word to summarise is: relax

Total Mileage: 39.4

Started the week off with a tight knee and some anxiety that I might not make the start line. I took pac_man's advice and decided to slooooow down considerably this week. My plan was to get the runs in, do my stretches/foam rolling, skip the speed work and stop if I feel any pain.

Monday (2 miles)
    - 2 miles into work - 9:36/min

Tuesday (9 miles)
    - 2 miles into work - 9:22/min
    - 7 miles - 9:43/min Left work and took it very handy. Had to stop and stretch a few times during this. Each time I did, I felt immediate relief so I did a lot of stretching that evening when I got back.

Wednesday (6.6 miles)
    - 2 miles into work - 9:39/min
    - 4.5 miles home from work. Met my wife after 1.5 miles and ran with her for 5K. This really helped keep the pace slow and I got through the run without the need to stretch midway. It was almost like a recovery one as I felt like I shaked out the knee issue. Did my stretches/foam rolling when I got home too. 11:47/min pace

Thursday (4.2 miles)
    - 2 miles into work - 9:27/min
    - 2 miles home from work - 9:43/min The plan had a 6 mile to do today but I had to rejig my week due to a stag on the weekend. I knew my long run was coming Friday instead so I kept today to the basics of in and out of work. Valentines day too so I went out that evening with my better half and had a bit of wine. Got a slagging on strava from some lads in work due to my times this week. But I've got to think big picture and getting myself to Belfast in one piece.

Friday (17.4 miles)
    - 2 miles into work - 9:16/min Little bit of a head on me from the wine. This blew the cobwebs off
    - 15.4 miles 9:58/min. Really, really chuffed with this. I love getting out for longs runs and was worried I wouldn't make this. Plan was to go out and see how I felt. If there was any sort of niggle, I would head for home. Did this straight after work so my prep wasn't as good as it could be. I'd a hifive zero tab around 1.5hrs before. Then a gel 20 mins before leaving and another at mile 7. I have a soft flask from solamon that I picked up around 2 years ago. The thing sprung a leak and lost half the water by the time I was looking for it with the 2nd gel. No biggie had enough. Pace was purposely slow and I took my time listening to Alan Partridge's audiobook laughing to myself throughout. Got home, a small bit of stretching and grub. Was shattered heading to bed but I slept like a log

Saturday (Rest)

Out for a Stag today. Beers galore. No running

Sunday (Rest)
    I took rest very seriously today. Swear the stag had nothing to do with it. Myself and the couch were inseparable by the end of the day. Early night afterwards.

Looking at this coming week, my knee is improving and I have a mostly uninterrupted schedule for training. I'm going to try get all the miles in and keep the pace steady. Skip speedwork and maybe do a bit of Fartlek Tues or Wed - I think is far enough from my last long run and the one coming later this week.

18 miles is my upcoming long run and another opportunity to test my raceday nutrition. Plan's to try Clif's shotblox this week and take half at mile 6 and again at 12 to see how that works with me. I got a bit light headed on the 15 miles this week so I'll bring a few jellies and salt sachet as a just in case. I'd also like to try tailwind and maurtens in this training block to see what works best. I used the energy jelly beans during Tullamore and while they were delicious and helped me with my PB, they were very fiddly to take while running. HiFive are the gel provider at Belfast so I'd like to stick with them unless one of these alternatives works significantly better.

Would be interested to know people's nutrition strategies during races and where they pick up their gels. Elvery's have buy one get one half price on a lot which works out at €1.15 or so per gel.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,021 ✭✭✭Kellygirl

AhhHere wrote: »

Would be interested to know people's nutrition strategies during races and where they pick up their gels. Elvery's have buy one get one half price on a lot which works out at €1.15 or so per gel.

Well done on the training so far and slowing down! Hope your knee holds up.

I generally use the High 5 isogels - I think they are now called aqua gels. Very easy to take and already diluted so you don’t need water with them. For me I took them every 30-35 mins during marathons but some say that’s overkill. It worked for me though. My last marathon I tried the Maurten gels - very different but easy to take and also don’t leave a sticky mess all over your hands. They are expensive though. I got them directly from Maurten online. The isogels you can get in loads of places so just watch out for deals such as that Elverys one you mention.

Kellygirl wrote: »
    Well done on the training so far and slowing down! Hope your knee holds up.

I generally use the High 5 isogels - I think they are now called aqua gels. Very easy to take and already diluted so you don’t need water with them. For me I took them every 30-35 mins during marathons but some say that’s overkill. It worked for me though. My last marathon I tried the Maurten gels - very different but easy to take and also don’t leave a sticky mess all over your hands. They are expensive though. I got them directly from Maurten online. The isogels you can get in loads of places so just watch out for deals such as that Elverys one you mention.

Thanks Kellygirl. I really like the taste of isogels but the weight of them causes such a bounce, I try to avoid carrying more than one with me. Do they do a caffeine one? Was in Elverys and they didnt have caffeine in either type. Wondering was it a stock issue as I've had them before in the normal gels.

Heard Maurtens are expensive alright. They sell them in RunHub on Aungier st. Plan is to pick up 1-2 and try them out before committing. The sticky-thing alone is a big plus!

I've also read that you shouldn't mix natural gels and processed gels. Bad for the tummy apparently. Don't know if that's true or not. I think Shot Bloks are natural but need to look into that.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭shotgunmcos

Hey there RE: Gels

Its really a personal preference. I've tried a lot in races from half marathon to full marathon, ironman's and multi day expedition races.

Isogels are grand, especially if you find it hard to neck down a good swallow water on the move.

I used powerbar for a while and they are grand but expensive, very very sticky and heavy.

I use GU gels at the moment, caffeinated. They are sticky but pack a punch. Not too stick though. I used to swallow a gel whole before a water station then gulp water. Now I eat the gel bit by bit over the mile before I get water, then drink the water as slowly. It has reduced the stomach issues. I've tried a lot of H5 stuff and find they recovery stuff to be better than the race stuff.

+what Kellygirl said- try them out in training. Even if you don't need them on the training run, just practice now instead of race day. Good to try a few different ones before committing to buyng a box (even at half price)

• Advertisement

Hey there RE: Gels

Its really a personal preference. I've tried a lot in races from half marathon to full marathon, ironman's and multi day expedition races.

Isogels are grand, especially if you find it hard to neck down a good swallow water on the move.

I used powerbar for a while and they are grand but expensive, very very sticky and heavy.

I use GU gels at the moment, caffeinated. They are sticky but pack a punch. Not too stick though. I used to swallow a gel whole before a water station then gulp water. Now I eat the gel bit by bit over the mile before I get water, then drink the water as slowly. It has reduced the stomach issues. I've tried a lot of H5 stuff and find they recovery stuff to be better than the race stuff.

+what Kellygirl said- try them out in training. Even if you don't need them on the training run, just practice now instead of race day. Good to try a few different ones before committing to buyng a box (even at half price)

Going to look at GU now too, thanks. Stomach issues never been a problem with me during training or my 1st marathon. More the timing - how many and how often what I need to perfect.

Thanks Kellygirl. I really like the taste of isogels but the weight of them causes such a bounce, I try to avoid carrying more than one with me. Do they do a caffeine one? Was in Elverys and they didnt have caffeine in either type. Wondering was it a stock issue as I've had them before in the normal gels.

Heard Maurtens are expensive alright. They sell them in RunHub on Aungier st. Plan is to pick up 1-2 and try them out before committing. The sticky-thing alone is a big plus!

I've also read that you shouldn't mix natural gels and processed gels. Bad for the tummy apparently. Don't know if that's true or not. I think Shot Bloks are natural but need to look into that.

Yes isogels come in caffeinated versions too. Have a look at flipbelts - brilliant way to carry stuff and no bounce. No idea about mixing natural and processed I’m afraid.

Thanks. Have a flipbelt and a spibelt - type thing. But find if I carry more than 2/3 they bounce around and annoying me. My running style possibly. I've a bag I commute with that's great but would rather not use it race day.

6 weeks down. 10 to go until BCM. Getting a better understanding of my body. Listening and respecting niggles that pop up and modifying my generic plan to work harder for me.

Knee is feeling good. No issues now I slowed down and only did one speed session this week. Instead of the two in the plan. Think one is enough for what I need. Next is recovery. Make sure I've enough time after my long run and sessions to keep me fit and healthy. Did that this week.

So this week's word is: Respect. Respect the miles. Respect the body. Respect the bigger picture of getting myself to the finish line in the best shape as possible (and injury free).

Total Miles: 47.1 (and surpassed 300 miles for the year)

Monday (2 miles)
    - 2 miles into work - 9:29/min
    - Walk home

Tuesday (9.7 miles)
    - 2 miles into work - 9:20/min
    - 7.7 miles - including 9 hill reps. Avg pace was 9:30/min but I was running around 7:00 uphill for .2 miles with 10:30/min recover on the way down. Felt good throughout. Knee was noticeable during the last two reps but did a 2.5 mile cool down and was fine coming in the door. Plenty of stretches and foam rolling afterwards. Because I'd to find a hill a bit away from home, I ran around 1.5 miles more than on the plan. So decided to cut short a run later in the week.

Wednesday (11 miles)
    - 2 miles into work - 9:27/min
    - 9 miles slow home and hilly route. Lovely view of Dublin near Deer park that evening listening to a super band called King Gizzard and the Lizard Wizard. Check them out if you like Pink Floyd/Flaming Lips/Black Sabbath. Unreal running music. 9:38/min

Thursday (4.1 miles)
    - 2 miles into work - 9:21/min
    - 2 miles home from work - 9:21/min

Looking back I should have done Wednesday's run on Thursday because I didn't want to exceed 47 miles this week as it's 10% more than my last big week (43). So did the bare minimum today with one eye on my long run this weekend.

Friday (2 miles)
    - 2 miles into work - 9:26/min
    - Pub and catch up with mate after work

Saturday (rest)

Sunday (18 miles)
    9:26/min. Found it hard to get my pace right without affecting my form. But enjoyed it around Phoenix Park and getting some trails in, which I love to clear the head. Felt strong coming home at the end. Did a hilly route there too and tested Clif Shot bloks. Took 3 squares at 6 miles and another three at 12 miles. Must say I liked them. Had an isogel that I didn't use. The bloks tasted good (although were much thicker than expected). I found with Hi5 I get a bit light headed after about 15 minutes after taking them. Thought that was part of the parcel so just powered through usually. Didnt get that with the Bloks. So they're leading the way so far. Although I did find them harder to take while running. I slowed to a stop both times. I wont have my belt full with my phone + keys on race day so maybe it'd be easier taking them in and out. Going to source a Maurtens gel for Friday. Need to get into Run Hub before then.

Slight tightness around my right ankle today so foam rolled my calf, stretched and rolled my foot off a golf ball. Have it in a compression sleeve today and plan to rest. This coming week, I'm away on Saturday for a lads trip. So I've to do my long run Friday (20 miles). So I'll skip the speed sessions this week and only do the commute runs to tick me over (might do a 6 miler Wed if I feel the ankle is okay). I want to get the recovery between the sessions nailed.

Late to log this week. Only back in the country Monday night. That was a load of b0ll0cks. Frustrating week again. At one point thought I might have to pull out of BCM. Word for this week is: Balls.

Week 7 Report

Total Miles: 17.2

Monday: 0 Miles

No running. It was a rest day so was happy not to do anything. especially after my 18 mile the day before. The bottom of the ball of my ankle was a bit sore. I fractured my ankle before by rolling over on it and this felt like it was in the same spot. Although I knew I didn't roll on it so thought it was fatigue related. That night I rub some tiger balm on my ankle and foot. But I rubbed some part of the top of my foot. I think it's called the cuboid after some research and it felt like it "popped"

Tuesday: 0 Miles

Hobbled into work. Compression sleeves on. Not fun

Wednesday: 0 Miles

Walked into work again. Brought my running gear in case I felt better in the evening to run home. I felt like I could run home and was itching to get out. It's been a while since I haven't run in this long. I decided to play it smart and take the extra evening off instead of rushing back too soon. Patience.

Thursday: 4.3 miles

- 2.5 miles into work. Garmin had a conniption. Said I ran 2.5m instead of my usual 2/2.1miles. Which meant my pace was 7:44/min. Which is way off. I think it worked our at 9:30/min in total. Ankle had to warm up for the first hundred metres at the start of the run but once I got going, I was fine. No pain.
    - 1.7 miles home. Why 1.7m and not the usual 2m for my commute? I started my run and immediately began hobbling. The pain was sharp and discomforting. I couldn't run. I hobbled for .3 miles, lent against someone's dirveway and then felt I could put pressure on it. Started my watch and went slow. Got going and once I warmed up I was fine. The sharp pain was gone. 9:44/min

That night I did some research because my original ankle pain was gone and it was this cuboid now that was hurting me. I looked into it and apparently its easy to misaligned and just needs to be "popped" back in. Spent the night poking and stretching my foot backwards in some hope to do just that. It kind of worked. If it didn't I was looking at pulling out of BCM. Balls.

Friday: 12.9 miles
    - 2.1 miles into work. Felt better but still there. No big pains like the night before or need to stop. Got to work easily enough. 9:02/mins - way too fast
    - 10.8 miles. This week's long run was 20 miles and it's the 1st of 5 on my plan. I really wanted to do it and knew I wouldn't be running this weekend as I was away. Mapped out a route that was 2x10 mile loops with the first mile on my way home from work. Said I'd run the 1st mile, see how I feel. If okay, I'll take a left and start the first loop. If not, I'll head for home. Got there and felt the ankle but not enough to stop so I started my loop. Got into a nice slow rhythm and praised the lord baby Jesus how much I missed running. Please god never leave me again. It was like coming up for air after being submerged in water. A bloody relief. I missed you so much!

Was enjoying my run and feleing good. Ankle was still there but not enough to stop. I finished my first loop and wanted to go again but at this point I was late to meet the wife. I could have called and delayed but said I'd take the smart option and just do 10mile. Had weird mixed emotions because I was delighted to get some decent miles under my belt but felt guilty I didn't do the whole 20. 10:41/min

Saturday - 0 Miles
    Away with the lads in Europe. Foot was noticeable that morning but no pain in the afternoon. Boom!

Sunday - 0 miles
    - Still away with the lads. Forgot my foot was sore at all until I was asked about it later. Result. I'm back baby!

Who doesn't love a redemption story?

*Eamonn Dunphy voice* Halfway baby

8 weeks down, 8 to go. Short but solid week for me. This week's work is: Weather

Week 8 report:

Total miles: 39.7

Monday - 0 miles

Was travelling back from the lads' trip so no running today.

Tuesday - 2 miles

- 2 miles into work 9:15/min

Wednesday - 10.2 miles
    - 2 miles into work 9:07/min
    - 8.1 miles home. 9:42/min. Needed this run. My head was a bit off from work and the trip. Usually my 8 miler home from work takes in the big hill at Mount Anville. But went an alternative route with minimal hills. Wanted the distance but didnt want to flare up the foot again. Very uneventful

Thursday - 7.1 miles

- 2 miles into work 9:25/min
    - 5.1 miles home 9:26/min. Again wasn't feeling the run but got it in. Because I'd a shorter week from missing Monday I skipped any speed session and wanted slow miles under the belt. Getting to know my body more this training block and learnt I need 3 days between sessions/long runs. With one eye on my long run this Sunday it meant no speed work. Lovely red skies this evening.

Friday - 2.2 miles
    - 2.1 miles into work 8:43/min no idea why I was faster today. Not like I was late (which can usually be the reason)
    -2.1 miles home 9:35/min

Saturday - 0 miles
    Day out with pals and the wife. No running today

Sunday - 15.93 miles (definitely about .5 miles more but I didnt start my watch properly for cool down)
    Plan had 15 miles today to include 1 mile warm up. 1 mile cool down and 13.1 mile race in the middle. So I headed to phoenix park. Sunny day but crazy breeze that was as icy as anything. Cold even thinking about it.

- 1.5 mile warm up to the park 10:48/min
    - 13.12 mile race effort 7:32/min completing the half in 1:38:44. Not fair off my PB of 1:38:10. This was interesting for me because I've never "raced" on my own so it was great from a mental perspective. I started at Phoenix park parkgate street entrance and went up to the first roundabout and took the first left. I turned towards military road and passed the magazine fort to my right. The wind here was a killer. Directly my on my face the whole way until furry glen turn toward OS House. Was difficult to get a rhythm as the wind was almost blowing me off my feet. When I got to chesterfield avenue, I was straight down to the 1st roundabout again. Wind at my back, bit of sun on my face. I was flying. Loving it. Took the turn at the 1st roundabout to repeat the same part again. Wind slowed me down almost immediately. It was brutal. I did have gloves on but they were away at this point and my 2017 DCM finishers top was rolled up on the arms. So the cold was manageable. Got to the furry glen turn off to OS road again, hit chesterfield until Furze road. Bam wind in the face again and this big, dark, thunder b4st4ard of a cloud was veering towards me. I got back on the south road and turned towards mary's hospital. All good for a bit. I'm going down hill, wind on my back. I pass Mary's and I'm on the incline to the S bends. Feel some moisture. It starts to rain. No problem. I can handle it. Running in it for 2 mins feeling like a bad ass. Get to the top of the hill and it starts hailing. Holy mother of god, this is stinging the living sh1te out of me. Pass a family on a walk. Kids are screaming at the pain of the hailstones. I give a nod to the parents and have a smile on my face. In reality I'm.dying.inside. That hail went on for a few minutes until I hit the kyber entrance/junction. I continue on towards the 1st roundabout. It starts snowing. The sleeves are fully down now but my gloves are tucked away. I power on even though there's no protection from the elements. I know I've to get to the roundabout to finish. Think it's a good test mentally. I get to the roundabout:

- "Balls, I'm short."
    Head towards the gate.
    -Kill me now, kill me know. Why are you doing this?
    -"Must be the next lamppost"
    -"nope, still short"
    -Shoelace comes undone
    -"balls. Keep going"
    - head down, focus
    -"must be there now"
    - Watch hasn't moved an inch.
    - "Keep going, Keep going"
    - reach the gate and my distance goal
    - I pause the watch

I'm bloody delighted and bloody shattered. My hands are red raw and have no feeling. Especially the thumbs. I try to tie my lace. Hands are shaking. Tie it and reach for my gloves in my belt. My hands have lost all dexterity so I put them on inside out and backwards. labels hanging out and all. The minor bit of heat is a relief.

- 1.3 miles 11:35/min Cool down
    I thought I started my watch earlier but my hands didn't do it with the cold. I cupped my hands and blew into them like a madman until I got home. The keys were even hard to get in the door. I was soaked, freezing and sniffling like a mad man. BUT I was happy and wouldn't change it for the world. This is why I love running.

Come at me world.

Double Report this week. For week's 9 & 10 as i was away last week

Word to describe this block is: disjointed

Week 9: 38.1 miles

Monday - 0 miles
    I was ill so no miles for me today :(

Tuesday - 0 miles

Didn't want to risk miles after recovering from the stomach bug. Took the bus. God I hate the bus

Wednesday - 10 miles
    - 2 miles into work 9:25/min
    - 8 miles 10:02/min took the hilly route home up past mount anville school. Nothing better than cresting that hill and seeing Dublin in all it's glory. A real moment of appreciation that I've two legs and a healthy body to bring me to places like this. Lovely

Thursday - 4.1 miles
    - 2.1 miles into work 9:40/min
    - 2 miles home 9:39/min

Friday - 22.1 miles
    - 2.1 miles into work 9:22/min
    - 20 miles home from work. My long slow run. 10:12/min. Was flying out on holidays tomorrow so wanted to get my long run in before I did. I planned to do the same pre-run routine as I've done at the weekend. Take a Hi5 tab, bit of plain toast + half a shot blok but my boss put a (positive) spanner in the work and said we can head home if there's nothing urgent to do before the bank holiday. So my timings of my routine were messed up a bit - but it's a nice problem to have. Went out for the run and took very handy. I took half a clif shot blok at mile 6 + 12. Then 2 squares at 14/16/18. I didn't bring enough water so got a few stomach cramps. At mile 11 I felt very woozy and light headed too but put it down to needing salt as I did on a recent long run. I powered through and felt grand after that. Mile 16 came around and I remember feeling strong and thinking 4 miles is nothing. Was tempted to throw a few marathon paced miles in there but decided against it and stick to the plan and keep it easy. I will run some in a longer run later next month. Finished 20 miles feeling strong and felt I could have done more.

Saturday - 0 miles
    On a plane travelling

Sunday - 1.7 miles
    - Was in the mountains so decided to see where I could run without being blocked by lack of path or snow. Elevation gain was 322ft in this short run (not far off my 388ft gain from my 20 miler!) and I could really feel the altitude affecting my breathing. Run was cut short because I risked slipping on some ice. Beautiful run however!

Week 10 - 0 miles

Was away all week and wasn't able to get out. I was skiing so hopefully I didn't lose too much fitness. Although the amount of food I ate means I plan to eat live like a monk the next few weeks.

Going forward

6 weeks to go until race day now. Feeling good with my nutrition. Plan is to get 4 good weeks of consistent training in before tapering and using one long run as a marker for what pace I should go for on the day. Very excited for BCM now. I'd love 3.3X on the day but think I have enough to do sub 3:45 for sure. Regardless, my plan is to say I ran my best race at the end of it. If I can say to myself I did, that works for me. Even if it ends up being way off what I'd like. You never know what the day will throw at you.

Peace

I'm also on the look out for a vest/tank to run the marathon in as the May Bank Holiday could be bleedin' boiling and I always get too warm on races. If there's any people recommend that dont cost the world, I'd love to hear your recommendations

Thoughts on decathlon tops?

I'm also on the look out for a vest/tank to run the marathon in as the May Bank Holiday could be bleedin' boiling and I always get too warm on races. If there's any people recommend that dont cost the world, I'd love to hear your recommendations

Thoughts on decathlon tops?

I like the few Decathlon tops I have and have never had any issues with them.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭shotgunmcos

*.... stuff about hailstones and running...

Come at me world.

Love it, gave me some laugh this morning thanks :D

• Advertisement

Love it, gave me some laugh this morning thanks :D

:D:D We've all been there. The way of the runner!

Week 11 Down. 5 to go to BCM

This week went well up until the last moment. This week's word is: FFS!

Total Mileage: 39.7

Monday: 2 miles
    - 2 miles into work 9:58/min

Tuesday: 8.9 miles
    - 2 miles into work 10:15/min
    - 6.8 miles. Was meant to do 5 miles but I was running a new route to my mother in laws and got a little lost. Did 1.5 miles warm up and 3 miles of fartlek work. Then the rest cool down. 9:23/min

Wednesday: 7.7 miles
    - 2 miles into work 10:06/min
    - 5.6 miles easy. This was meant to be 7 miles but I shortened it because of my lack of direction the day before. 9:52/min

Thursday: 11.1 miles
    - 2 miles into work 9:45/min. I was trying to run slower into work by about 30 secs this week and treat them as recovery runs. Not that I was going a blistering pace before but thought I could make them that slight bit easier on the body
    - 9.1 miles steady 9:02/min with 1 mile warm up and cool down included. This was a weird one. I started my run and was facing directly in the sun and was fine until about .5 of a mile in and was suddenly very light headed and "fever-ish", if that makes sense. A cold sort of sweat was coming over me. Didn't know how much further I could get but thought this would be good training for the marathon mentally. After mile 2, I was fine to run but had a big sugar craving. I stopped in the local shop and bought a big jug of milk and pack of cookies which I demolished straight away. Helped the head but the stomach was feeling it after that. I think it was a fuelling issue because I ate a full pasta dinner and some slices of toast too that night. Was marving. Lunch was big (stir fry leftovers) so a bit confused about what it could be.

Friday - 0 miles
    - Started my run to work but began hobbling on that right ankle again. When this happened before, I was able to warm up the leg and be fine after that but I was against the clock already because I slept through my alarm (could be something to do with feeling off the night before, now that I type this out). So I tried running at a quicker pace. Got about .3 of a mile and stopped the watch and went straight to the bus. Not risking anything at this point. So that was the day I got the bus in full running kit including my Dublin Marathon top. Must have looked like a right lazy sod. But you've got to laugh.

Saturday - 0 miles
    - No running planned so took it handy. Walked into town for a few messages and gifts for Mother's day tomorrow. Got back to gaf and was pottering around the kitchen, cooking up a storm and creating some tasty dishes (So this is what lying on the internet feels like). I then turned around and bam, a sharp pain on the inside side of my ankle. Had to prop myself up on the counter. Not good. Hobbled to the couch and gave it a rub till it went away. Then I did some foam rolling, stretching and standing on a golf ball to help. It did, but I could still feel it when walking.

Sunday - 9.8 miles
    - 9.8 miles at 10:39/min. This was...tough. I was due to do 20 miles today and I was looking forward to it. Wrapped my ankle the night before and could feel it as a cycled to start the run. I started running super slow and, like before, could feel the ankle but it loosened up and I got going. The pain never exactly went away. I could feel it in the first few miles but it was grand. It was manageable. At mile 6, I stop to take a gel blok and avail of the bathroom el naturale. Starting again was even worse than earlier. I started my now characteristic hobble, hop combo - very sexy. Got going again and decided to change how my foot was landing and convinced myself this was working. Mile 8 came and the foot was tingling. Mile 9 I said, this isn't going away. doing another 11 miles won't help this. I've to keep the marathon in mind and getting to the start line fit and healthy. I pulled up and stretched a bit. Ankle was buzzing with sensation at this point. Cant roll it in a circle and stretching the calf was sore for it too. Decided to call it a day and walk back to the bike. Can I just say, walking sucks! Took me ages and nowhere near as fun. In my running gear so my hands got cold to make the experience even more awful. Pain in the hoop to be honest.

Got home, wrapped the ankle and was in a fouler for the rest of the day. Happy Mother's day Mam! Anyway, ankle pain died down and called the physio first thing this week. I'm booked in to go Wednesday evening so I'll not run until I get her advice. 5 weeks to go until the marathon and this could have me out. I'm not thinking those thoughts yet. I will get to the start line and I will finish. Training has been very disjointed in this block, which is not ideal. But I think we can all agree, f2ck walking.

Week 12 down. 4 to go.

This week's word: Physio

0 miles.

0 long, long boring miles.

Zero miles.

Z.E.R.O M.I.L.E.S

Z
    E
    R
    O

M
    I
    L
    E
    S

God, it gets to you doesn't it? Went to physio twice this week. Wednesday night and Thursday morning. It was my birthday too and I entered a new decade hobbling and not able to run. Swelling on right ankle and tightness of the foot. Ice and Difene gel every night with no running until this coming Sunday (10 days). I've thrown my time goal out the window and I'm aiming to get to start line healthy and fit. Rather be under trained than over trained.

Belfast Marathon? Belslow more like (yeah, I'll get my coat). I may be losing my mind

13 weeks down. 3 more to go.

This week's word is: Time.

Total Miles: 0

It's funny, the weeks go faster when your recovering when you want them to go slow. I wish I had a bit more time. But I am where I am and I've got to deal the cards in front of me. I went back to the physio on Thursday and got some dry needling work on the calf and massage after. The tendon there was putting pressure on my ankle. Causing it to tighten. The relief was immediate although I was a bit tender there for the rest of the day. Did my stretches and exercises Friday, Sat + Sunday. Could only really stretch before as the exercises causes too much discomfort to push through.

Tried to do some gym work on the cross trainer Saturday with no luck. Walked to gym. Tried using my friend's card for Flyefit. It didn't work after several attempts so I left. I didn't want to risk him losing his membership. I have a bike borrowed for this weekend though so I'll get 3 days out on that.

So not an ideal week but I'm moving in the right direction. and slowly improving every day. Which is all I can ask for. It's amazing how much time you have without running. And the washing! I barely do it anymore. The double runs were a killer for that. I don't miss the washing.

• Registered Users Posts: 470 ✭✭Dealerz2.0

Hope you get to the Belfast start line AhhHere-fingers crossed!

Dealerz2.0 wrote: »
    Hope you get to the Belfast start line AhhHere-fingers crossed!

Thanks a mill. I have faith!

0 miles for last week too - What a great log this is!

But the ankle is improving. Haven't felt anything from it since last week. I did do some cycling however. Around 110 miles over the Easter weekend in a hilly enough part of the word. Was great to get outdoors again. Feeling it this week but nothing some time on the foam roller wont get rid of.

Hopefully do a light run or two this week. Must say I've taken my taper really seriously!

11 days until BCM.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,070 ✭✭✭Baby75

hang in there, I am hoping it all settles for you before the start like :)

Good luck

Thank you Baby75!

• Advertisement

Woke up today and could feel it again. Seems like I'm back to where I was two weeks ago. Not good. Today's the first day I've considered pulling out. Not worth injuring again to do the same amount of rehab again. Will have a short run this weekend and see what it feels like then. But as of now, I'm out.

Balls

Advertisement