Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How long does it take to close a current account online?

Options
  • 21-01-2019 11:24am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,079 ✭✭✭

I submitted an online request to close my current account sometime before 9 January. I received a text from "BOIService" on 9 January asking me to text CLOSE to 50365 to confirm, which I did. On 14 January I received another text, this time from 50365, again asking me to text CLOSE to 50365, which I did. Both times I received an acknowledgement from 50365. However, I've not received any confirmation that the account is closed, and the closing balance has not been credited to my nominated account.

How long will it take for the account to be closed?
    If I call into a branch, can the account be closed on the spot? What documents will I need?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 423 ✭✭Bank of Ireland: Lorna

Hi there Gadgie,

Thanks for getting in touch.

Closing your account will take 11 working days. It is the same timeframe if you call into a branch. You will receive a text message confirming this once the account is closed.

If we can help with anything else, give us a shout.

Thanks,

Lorna

• Registered Users Posts: 1,079 ✭✭✭Gadgie

Hi Lorna,

OK, although that does seem like an unusually long (and strangely specific) length of time. Why does it take so long?

I'm not in a rush though, so I can wait. It's just I had not heard anything from BOI since last Monday, and I did not expect it to take so long. So I can expect that the account will be closed by Thursday, at the latest?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,346 ✭✭✭Bank of Ireland: Tara

Hi Gadgie,

Thanks for getting back to us. The timeframe allows for the customer's confirmation to be received, the admin work to close off the account and for the funds to be transferred. If you'd like an update on your request, you can contact our customer service team on 0818 365365 or 0035314044000.

Thanks,
    Tara

• Registered Users Posts: 1,079 ✭✭✭Gadgie

In case anyone has this question in future, the account was closed on 28 January, which was 14 working days after my original request on 8 January. I received the closing balance transfer to my new account on 30 January (16 working days after online request to close). At no point did anyone from BOI contact me to ask for any information. I received the closing statement in the post this morning.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,060 ✭✭✭Bank of Ireland: Alison

Thanks Gadgie for the update on the account closure. We wish you all the best :) 

Alison

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭1dave123

Gadgie wrote: »
    In case anyone has this question in future, the account was closed on 28 January, which was 14 working days after my original request on 8 January. I received the closing balance transfer to my new account on 30 January (16 working days after online request to close). At no point did anyone from BOI contact me to ask for any information. I received the closing statement in the post this morning.
    Thanks Gadgie - appreciate u taking the time to provide this info. Good to know this. 

Advertisement