Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New order, FTTH FUP policy

• 21-01-2019 11:49am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭

Hello,

I will be in the market for a new broadband package soon. The house is FTTH enabled (at least according to eirs site) and i will be hoping to go for the 300mb speed package.

One major point of contention for me will be the FUP of 1Tb. My parents house is currently receiving a 1gig speed package with FTTH and is consistently going over 1Tb a month and getting charged heavily because of it. (regular bill is 90, but they are getting charged 180 because of this).

Is this FUP still an issue with new orders? I will not be in a position to pay an excess like above. I will be streaming 4k movies/tv as well as downloading games (which are getting increasingly large in size) so i need to know whether Eir are still enforcing the FUP.

regards,
    Sean.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,369 ✭✭✭Rossi IRL

When I signed up recently I asked was there a fair usage policy and was told no there wasnt.

For whatever that's worth to you

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭Icyseanfitz

have you gone over 1Tb in usage in a month? 

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

There there is no FUP for anyone who has signed since the end of July.
    Why have your parents not contacted Eir about having the FUP removed like many others have done?

That said there is plenty of choice on what provider you can go with, there are better options than Eir once you are not in contract with them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭Icyseanfitz

tuxy wrote: »
    Why have your parents not contacted Eir about having the FUP removed like many others have done?

That said there is plenty of choice on what provider you can go with, there are better options than Eir once you are not in contract with them.

I actually tried to do it for my dad as he has heart problems at the moment and doesn't want to deal with the eir drama, but eir wouldn't let me due to data protection. Are the other providers doing ftth now? Any in particular that are praised over the others?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 575 ✭✭✭glen123

I actually tried to do it for my dad as he has heart problems at the moment and doesn't want to deal with the eir drama, but eir wouldn't let me due to data protection. Are the other providers doing ftth now? Any in particular that are praised over the others?

Try https://www.airwire.ie but you can also check this:

https://fibrerollout.ie/rollout-map/where-to-buy-ftth/

Check each providers site for their policies as they vary.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

Other providers have been doing it from the start but some of the big companies like Sky and Vodafone were not as they had issues with the price.
    Both of them have started offering FTTH over the open eir network recently but they don't have as good feedback as some of the smaller companies. 
    Here's the list
    https://fibrerollout.ie/rollout-map/where-to-buy-ftth/
    Some of the companies are nationwide while other only provider to smaller areas.

Airewire and Digiweb are two companies that are nationwide and I constantly see being praised over on the broadband forum. 

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,128 ✭✭✭Emmersonn

Obviously you have not read of the difficulties in trying to contact Éir on their no customer service. But
    I agree wholeheartedly with your closing statement.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 245 ✭✭eir: Kellie

Hello,

I will be in the market for a new broadband package soon. The house is FTTH enabled (at least according to eirs site) and i will be hoping to go for the 300mb speed package.

One major point of contention for me will be the FUP of 1Tb. My parents house is currently receiving a 1gig speed package with FTTH and is consistently going over 1Tb a month and getting charged heavily because of it. (regular bill is 90, but they are getting charged 180 because of this).

Is this FUP still an issue with new orders? I will not be in a position to pay an excess like above. I will be streaming 4k movies/tv as well as downloading games (which are getting increasingly large in size) so i need to know whether Eir are still enforcing the FUP.

regards,
    Sean.
    Hi there Icyseanfitz,

I can confirm that there is no longer a FUP of 1TB on new accounts. We can also remove this cap on older accounts now too. I would suggest that if the account holder (or an authorised user) for your parents' account could get in touch with us either here or via Facebook or Twitter, we would be more than happy to help and remove this cap for them.

~Kellie

Advertisement