Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Keep OnePlus 3T or move to Huawei P20 lite

• 21-01-2019 12:23pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,948 ✭✭✭

Hi there, I currently have a OnePlus 3T but the battery has gone a little (still gets most of a day sometimes) but it is heating up randomly.

I was thinking of moving to Huawei P20 lite? Would that be an upgrade/downgrade?

Comments

the cpu power would be a downgrade by a good bit.

camera is probably the same?

it doesn't look that hard to change the battery compared to glass-backed phones - mabye buy one online (decent one with reviews or OEM) and give it a go.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kpeu5ok18N4

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,948 ✭✭✭0gac3yjefb5sv7

glasso wrote: »
    the cpu power would be a downgrade by a good bit.

camera is probably the same?

it doesn't look that hard to change the battery compared to glass-backed phones - mabye buy one online (decent one with reviews or OEM) and give it a go.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kpeu5ok18N4

I did change the battery but still issue is there. Phone heating up randomly and no apps in use.

ok then may be a general issue with the phone or the cpu although the snapdragon 821 did not have reports of over-heating issues like earlier cpu models I thought.

if if bothers you then upgrade I guess.

ok then may be a general issue with the phone or the cpu although the snapdragon 821 did not have reports of over-heating issues like earlier cpu models I thought.

if if bothers you then upgrade I guess.

Thanks, I'm just wondering if it's much of an upgrade or anything I'd be missing?

there are probably better phone options out there.

with the phone still being usable you're not in a mad rush.

the new redmi note 7 or note 7 pro that will be available in the next while looks to be a great deal.

the p20 lite is a bit old hat at this stage in terms of the cpu and camera.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,983 ✭✭✭✭mrcheez

I have a P20 Lite ... can't fault it at all, lovely phone.

I'm not gaming on it, or don't really care about cameras, but every app I've wanted to use on it works smoothly and faultlessly.

there are probably better phone options out there.

with the phone still being usable you're not in a mad rush.

the new redmi note 7 or note 7 pro that will be available in the next while looks to be a great deal.

the p20 lite is a bit old hat at this stage in terms of the cpu and camera.

Would they be in the same price range? The p20 lite is about 260.

Pheonix10 wrote: »
    Would they be in the same price range? The p20 lite is about 260.

lower even. the note 7 will be lower for sure (buying online of course) - 32gb version will be less than 200. 64gb about 200

the note 7 pro about that money (250) or a bit less.

both will have cpus a lot more powerful that the p20 lite and cameras are looking very interesting also in terms of low light performance

if you can wait I would wait to see what online reviews say about these devices

reviews should be out soon online as it's launched in china

and battery life will be a lot better than the p20 lite as the note 7 and note 7 pro have batteries that are over a 1/3 bigger capacity.

the note 7 looks very good from initial reviews for the price and the note 7 pro will be better but will come out later.

and battery life will be a lot better than the p20 lite as the note 7 and note 7 pro have batteries that are over a 1/3 bigger capacity.

the note 7 looks very good from initial reviews for the price and the note 7 pro will be better but will come out later.

Thanks a mil! Have you ever used the brand and would it be as reliable as OnePlus...thats my only concern.

• Advertisement

Thanks a mil! Have you ever used the brand and would it be as reliable as OnePlus...thats my only concern.

Xiaomi who make redmi are one of the biggest phone producers in the world.

their phones are very good. my current phone is made by them.

they also have a more premium brand mi and another recent brand pocophone. many threads on this forum are about buying their phones.

they offer incredible value as don't really seek to make much margin on their phones. they use them to create a higher brand awareness as they also make/brand a lot of other products. pretty much all of their products rate very highly on the price/performance ratio.

overall their phones are known for great value and reliability.

Xiaomi who make redmi are one of the biggest phone producers in the world.

their phones are very good. my current phone is made by them.

they also have a more premium brand mi and another recent brand pocophone. many threads on this forum are about buying their phones.

they offer incredible value as don't really seek to make much margin on their phones. they use them to create a higher brand awareness as they also make/brand a lot of other products. pretty much all of their products rate very highly on the price/performance ratio.

overall their phones are known for great value and reliability.

Excellent thank you! If I was impatient and bought one now, would you have any recommendations for 150-300. I'd probably buy on Amazon UK if possible.

you don't get the best prices on amazon really on phones unfortunately - particularly Xiaomi ones.

this site is very reliable and will ship you the phone in a few days

https://www.honorbuy.com/1492-xiaomi-mi-a2-lite-official-global-version-4gb-ram-64gb-smartphone-black.html?search_query=a2+lite&results=52

with delivery (which would be quicker than amazon most likely) you'd have that phone for about 180 euro. the same phone but the lesser 3gb ram / 32 gb storage version is 180 sterling on amazon.

I've linked to the currently available Xiaomi A2 lite.

excellent phone. great battery life and stock android (clean interface with no useless extra apps and you get security updates regularly unlike most other phones).

here's an overview

you don't get the best prices on amazon really on phones unfortunately - particularly Xiaomi ones.

this site is very reliable and will ship you the phone in a few days

https://www.honorbuy.com/1492-xiaomi-mi-a2-lite-official-global-version-4gb-ram-64gb-smartphone-black.html?search_query=a2+lite&results=52

I've linked to the currently available Xiaomi A2 lite.

excellent phone. great battery life and stock android (clean interface with no useless extra apps and you get security updates regularly unlike most other phones).

Thanks a lot. What phone are you currently using?

Just wondering with that site, if there is any issue, are you screwed?

Thanks a lot. What phone are you currently using?

Just wondering with that site, if there is any issue, are you screwed?

I have the A2 lite.

that site has very good speed and reliability.

search honorbuy in this android devices forum -> here is a search result link

https://www.boards.ie/search/submit/?forum=1343&sort=newest&date_to=&date_from=&query=honorbuy

I have the A2 lite.

that site has very good speed and reliability.

search honorbuy in this android devices forum -> here is a search result link

https://www.boards.ie/search/submit/?forum=1343&sort=newest&date_to=&date_from=&query=honorbuy

Thanks ! I just watched the review. Only two things, how would the camera compare to the OnePlus 3T ( as this has an excellent camera) and is there any similar models with USB C? All my chargers are usb C :/

Thanks ! I just watched the review. Only two things, how would the camera compare to the OnePlus 3T ( as this has an excellent camera) and is there any similar models with USB C? All my chargers are usb C :/

not sure how the camera compares vs 3t - it's good in good light but not so good in low / poor light tbh

you can see photos taken with the phone here

https://www.gsmarena.com/xiomi_mi_a2_lite-review-1804p5.php

it's the older micro usb cable - you could still use the charger but you'd need the micro usb cable.

it takes about 2 hours to fully charge the battery - which is not awful considering that it's 4000mah size

you should get 2 days use from this phone before charging (medium user usage)

if you want usb c you can go for the mi a2.

the battery life isn't as good as the a2 lite (3000mah vs 4000mah) but it has a camera that would be as good as the 3t

https://www.honorbuy.com/1453-xiaomi-mi-a2-official-global-version-4gb-ram-64gb-smartphone-black.html?search_query=mi+a2&results=679

about 200 euro or a little more delivered

here are some sample photos

https://www.gsmarena.com/xiaomi_mi_a2-review-1798p5.php

it's better in low light than the a2 lite

if you want usb c you can go for the mi a2.

the battery life isn't as good as the a2 lite (3000mah vs 4000mah) but it has a camera that would be as good as the 3t

https://www.honorbuy.com/1453-xiaomi-mi-a2-official-global-version-4gb-ram-64gb-smartphone-black.html?search_query=mi+a2&results=679

about 200 euro or a little more delivered

here are some sample photos

https://www.gsmarena.com/xiaomi_mi_a2-review-1798p5.php

it's better in low light than the a2 lite

Thank you! I owe you commission at this rate ha

• Registered Users Posts: 1,298 ✭✭✭Snotty

Have a 1+ 3 and having battery issues, so took the plunge and bought the pocophone F1, should be arriving tomorrow. Will post back if it's a phone you are considering.

• Advertisement

Snotty wrote: »
    Have a 1+ 3 and having battery issues, so took the plunge and bought the pocophone F1, should be arriving tomorrow. Will post back if it's a phone you are considering.

That would be great thanks! Is it newish? Just had a quick look there.

That would be great thanks! Is it newish? Just had a quick look there.

Any update? Thanks!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 206 ✭✭brock92

I was getting a new phone recently. Was looking at pocophone F1 but went with Huawei Honor Play instead as it got better reviews. Both offer good specs for the price.

brock92 wrote: »
    I was getting a new phone recently. Was looking at pocophone F1 but went with Huawei Honor Play instead as it got better reviews. Both offer good specs for the price.

Sure, how is the camera on the honor? Does it have dash charge, USB C, metal build, NFC, wireless charging?

Anything missing in it or bad things.

Sure, how is the camera on the honor? Does it have dash charge, USB C, metal build, NFC, wireless charging?

Anything missing in it or bad things.

Honor Play specs:
    Body: Aluminum body, 157.9 x 74.3 x 7.5 mm, 176g
    Screen: 6.3" 2,340x1,080px (19.5:9) IPS LCD, 409ppi, notched
    Chipset: HiSilicon Kirin 970, Octa-core (4x2.4 GHz Cortex-A73 & 4x1.8 GHz Cortex-A53), Mali-G72 MP12 GPU
    Memory: 4/6GB RAM, 64GB of storage, (hybrid) microSD slot
    Camera: Dual: 16MP RGB (f/2.2) + 2MP for depth sensing, phase detection autofocus; 2160p @ 30fps video
    Selfie cam: 16MP (f/2.0), 1080p video
    OS: Android 8.1 Oreo with Huawei EMUI 8.2 + AI features
    Battery: 3,750 mAh non-removable, 18W fast charging
    Connectivity: Dual Nano-SIM; USB-C (USB 2.0), NFC, Bluetooth 4.2, GPS, GLONASS
    Misc: Rear-mounted fingerprint sensor, single bottom-firing loudspeaker, 3.5mm audio port

Its been great phone so far, updated to Android 9 recently. It has fast charge 9V/2A. The finger print sensor is excellent and unlocks phone instantly.

brock92 wrote: »
    Honor Play specs:
    Body: Aluminum body, 157.9 x 74.3 x 7.5 mm, 176g
    Screen: 6.3" 2,340x1,080px (19.5:9) IPS LCD, 409ppi, notched
    Chipset: HiSilicon Kirin 970, Octa-core (4x2.4 GHz Cortex-A73 & 4x1.8 GHz Cortex-A53), Mali-G72 MP12 GPU
    Memory: 4/6GB RAM, 64GB of storage, (hybrid) microSD slot
    Camera: Dual: 16MP RGB (f/2.2) + 2MP for depth sensing, phase detection autofocus; 2160p @ 30fps video
    Selfie cam: 16MP (f/2.0), 1080p video
    OS: Android 8.1 Oreo with Huawei EMUI 8.2 + AI features
    Battery: 3,750 mAh non-removable, 18W fast charging
    Connectivity: Dual Nano-SIM; USB-C (USB 2.0), NFC, Bluetooth 4.2, GPS, GLONASS
    Misc: Rear-mounted fingerprint sensor, single bottom-firing loudspeaker, 3.5mm audio port

Its been great phone so far, updated to Android 9 recently. It has fast charge 9V/2A. The finger print sensor is excellent and unlocks phone instantly.

Thanks! Two things, should it receive the latest Android updates further down the line and also I'm thinking of buying on Amazon UK. Where did you get yours?

Thanks! Two things, should it receive the latest Android updates further down the line and also I'm thinking of buying on Amazon UK. Where did you get yours?

I think its guaranteed Android 10. Not sure after that. I went with Amazon also.

would have thought that the Pocophone F1 is better reviewed than the honor play.

F1 is plastic backed tho but still a very good phone.

would have thought that the Pocophone F1 is better reviewed than the honor play.

F1 is plastic backed tho but still a very good phone.

Most reviews I've seen say the opposite! Also not a fan of plastic build.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,298 ✭✭✭Snotty

I looked at the reviews of the Honor play and I did consider it over the Pocophone, I think the Honor was cheaper too, but the Pocophone won out, it had the better specification I needed. Go with what suits you

I looked at the reviews of the Honor play and I did consider it over the Pocophone, I think the Honor was cheaper too, but the Pocophone won out, it had the better specification I needed. Go with what suits you

Curious to know what was better on the F1 the battery I think?

Advertisement