Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Speeding Q&A superthread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,503 ✭✭✭Killinator

Have you recieved a summons after not paying the ticket or have you only just recieved the ticket.

Yes do go to court because if you don't one of two things will happen:

Youll be convicted in your absence or bench warrant will be issued for your arrest.

Not turning up to court isn't magically going to make the issue disappear and it certainly won't endear any judge to you.

There is no requirement in law that you must have been INTENTIONALLY speeding.

If what you say is true and you have dash cam footage then you may go to court, plead not guilty and put forward your case (which will likely be adjourned to another day).

You were speeding, full stop. But you should go to court to state your case as to why you didn't think you were speeding.

Bare in mind you'll get 5 points instead of 3 and an increased fine should you go to court (or not bother) and fail.

For your assistance this is the part of the legislation you will be prosecuted under:

Road Traffic Act 1967 (section 47)

Offence of exceeding speed limit.

47.—(1) A person shall not drive a mechanically propelled vehicle at a speed exceeding a speed limit applying in relation to the vehicle.

(2) A person who contravenes subsection (1) of this section shall be guilty of an offence.

(3) In this section “speed limit” means a limit which is—

(a) an ordinary speed limit,

(b) the built-up area speed limit, or

(c) a special speed limit.

• Registered Users Posts: 254 ✭✭micah537

There was a Transit box body/luton pulled in on the other side of the road so I don't know if there was a sign there or not, the dash cam doesn't show it either.

I have an appointment next Monday with a solicitor, I just wondering if I'm wasting time and money because double the points will probably be a killer on my current car's insurance. The solicitor and I would be located close to the area, but it is a road I never need to use.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,647 ✭✭✭impr0v

Personally I would contest it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,469 ✭✭✭FishOnABike

If your dashcam footage shows no speed limit sign was visible by not being there and/or being obstructed I'd definitely talk to a solicitor to get advice whether it would be reasonable / worthwhile to contest the speeding summons.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭scamalert

was out in town the other night and stumbled upon gosafe van in 50km zone back facing me incoming, can only guess that did 52-58km/h before letting has off and droping under 50, as micra 08 speedo doesnt have any markings between 50 to 60 so can only sort of speculate if it was few kms or more like 6-8. Now usual stupid guessing if it get the ticket or what ifs for two weeks. guess the question is can someone be done for something ridicilous as 4km over the limit

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,683 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

4 kmh over the limit in a 50 zone is 8% over the speed limit. Doesn’t sound great to be honest when you put it like that.

4kmh over the limit on the motorway obviously doesn’t sound as bad then.

Without meaning to be a dickhead, it is likely a 50 zone for good reason.

• Registered Users Posts: 975 ✭✭✭Parachutes

Are there any fixed speed cameras in Ireland?

Dublin port tunnel has average speed cameras.

There are plans to roll out more on the motorway network.

This article from 2005 refers to there being twenty units (fixed but not average) in Louth, Meath, Kildare and Dublin.

https://www.irishtimes.com/life-and-style/motors/speed-cameras-vandalised-1.417680?mode=amp

Yes, I was aware of the Port Tunnel and the new average speed check in Tipp but someone told me before that we had Gatso type cameras on some of our national roads, not sure how true that is though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,140 ✭✭✭reubenreuben

My partner was doing 160km/h on a dual carriageway 120 zone.

Passed speed van. Is that normal 3 points and 80 fine?

• Advertisement

According to the linked article in my (edited) post above only three of the twenty fixed cameras situated in Louth, Meath, Kildare and Dublin are active at any one time.

Yes.

The GoSafe can only issue standard speeding fines.

In cases where the vehicle is considered dangerous driving then the operator of the van sometimes chooses to contact the local station to try and intercept the vehicle.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,922 ✭✭✭GM228

Asides from the average speed cameras on the M7 and M50 there are only two fixed cameras left in the state, all others have been long removed, the two remaining are actually red light (rather than speed) cameras and both are currently not in operation.

What I don't understand about the proposed average speed cameras on the motorway is that as it stands you have to be told the specific location where you were speeding, generally down the the townsland.

So when a Garda stops you or a GoSafe they will have the exact location you were caught and that will be entered on the ticket/summons.

Not sure how that will work in an area like the current test one on M7 between Nenagh and Birdhill which would go through dozens of townslands. Unless there's a change to the procedures how can it be pointed out where exactly you were speeding.

The cameras cover the stretch of the M7 between J26 and J27. The average speed can only be calculated when the vehicle is detected at the second of the two average speed cameras.

I would think a speeding offence would therefore be detected at the location of the second of the average speed cameras ( J27 if travelling south or J26 if travelling north). Whatever townsland that camera is in would be where the offence occured.

But therein lies the problem at the moment. You could be doing 100km/h passing the 2nd camera and then get a ticket saying you were speeding at that location. It would be factually incorrect so as things stand would be on shaky legal ground from the current way tickets/summons are handed out.

I've no idea, I've never seen one in relation to it. I assume they can say you were speeding in the port tunnel, a specific location.

Considering one end is in Santry and the other in Fairview it is exactly the same situation.

It's either where the offence is detected or between two identified locations.

Fair enough, I've never used the port tunnel l before so no idea how it works.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,647 ✭✭✭impr0v

As I understand it, the reason a speeding ticket specifies an exact location is that one of the ingredients of the offence of speeding is that it is in a public place, and the ticket informs you of the public place in which the prosecuting Garda will allege the offence was perpetrated by you.

I don’t know whether a new offence has been created specifically for average-speed cameras, or whether a prosecution under the pre-existing legislation relies on it being, in practical terms, impossible for a driver to have travelled from camera A to camera B faster than the time it would take at the legal limit without having sped in a public place. Actually impossible in the case of the tunnel.

Since speed is distance/time all speed has to be measured over a distance and time. It's just that average speed cameras measure it over a larger distance and time than radar or lidar speed detectors do. If all points in between are a public place is it any different in principle whether the speed is measured over a centimeter or a few kilometers?

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Mo2021

I Got stopped for speeding about 7 weeks ago, the guard said the letter with fine & points would be out in 2 weeks but nothing yet, am I likely to receive it at this stage?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,119 ✭✭✭mikeecho

You're probably away with it... But the Garda has 124 days to submit the ticket..

After 7 weeks. I think you've gotten away with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭ewiz9

how do I know, if I got a fine or point? do they send mail to some postal address? I have changed my residence and not residing at the address on my license. In this anyways to know if I have some points?

• Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭ewiz9

I think I have passed the speed cameras at 130ish in 120 zone

If you are getting a fine it'll be posted to the address of the registered owner of the vehicle not the address on the licence.

I wouldn't be so sure about that, for a traffic corps stop anyway.

I know that but they said they passed speed cameras, so there was no stop

• Advertisement

Good point, I thought that poster and the person two posts before were the same person. My bad.

Advertisement