Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Speeding Q&A superthread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,119 ✭✭✭mikeecho

Holy fúck.. I saw a ticket from a gosafe today for 7km/h over.

That's less than 4½mph over

FYI

• Registered Users Posts: 975 ✭✭✭Parachutes

• Registered Users Posts: 3,503 ✭✭✭Killinator

Whatever it was it was 7km/h less than what the person was travelling 😂

• Registered Users Posts: 2,647 ✭✭✭impr0v

If it was 50km/hr then an additional 7km/hr is 14% faster than the maximum permitted, and probably warrants a ticket - it would be the equivalent of doing 137km/hr on the motorway. At 80km/hr and above the argument is less compelling.

I agree, the speed limit where the fine was recieved would have an impact how the speed was perceived.

7km in a 50 is significantly higher relatively than 7km in a 120.

And with 'most' speedos overreading it's likely the vehicle involved was indicating a higher speed then 7km over, so driver couldn't complain about not knowing or realising.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭mmc2010

hello, I got caught speeding by a guard - I accepted I was driving too fast and he said I'd be getting 3 penalty points and a fine in the post. That was nearly 7 weeks ago and I haven't seen anything yet. What would the typical turnaround time for receiving these fines? Has anybody received it after 7 weeks? Thanks

Gardai have 107 days to issue a ticket, so unfortunately your only half way through the permissable time limit.

Thanks Killinator - will just have to wait and see so :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,511 ✭✭✭OwlsZat

Got issued a fine for doing 60km in a 50km zone. A great road by all accounts returning from Christmas when absolutely nobody was about. Total racket.

• Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭BuildTheWall

• Advertisement

It is a bit of a racket, I don’t think they should really prosecute someone for doing 60km in a 50km zone. It’s grand in your local area because you’d know where the Speed Van spots are and slow down on those roads but I’m very rigid about sticking to posted limits when I’m not familiar with the area, no matter how ridiculous the limit is.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,306 ✭✭✭✭Esel

So, basically you have no problem exceeding speed limits unless you think you might be caught?

Not your ornery onager

No, but I’m not in favour of penalising people for straying a few km over the limit. Those vans are blatant revenue generators.

They can only generate revenue if people are speeding. If people are driving under or to the limit then the go-safe gets nada!

There are posted signs for the limit and signs suggesting where cameras may be.

After that the buck stops with only one person, the driver.

And I say that as someone who speeds now and again and have been caught twice several years ago.

All the 'but this', 'clear road', 'money racket' and whatever other excuse people want to make are just that, excuses.

You got done, man up and accept that you were too heavy on the 'loud' pedal and that's nobody else's fault!

I know but they always seem to be on a dual carriageway with a 50kph limit, or on a bend or where a limit changes, meanwhile you can do 80kph on a little country boreen where two cars can’t even pass each other. I can see why people get pissed off.

I can understand it myself, I got done on the road into Dublin by Lucan where the speed changes.

I cursed and was pissed but at the end of the day, the speed was advertised and it was me with the heavy foot.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭papu

With the over estimation of car speedos it's not going to be just a few km/h though, its generally a conscious decision to break the limit.

Detection of 60 in a 50 zone is probably a speedo reading of mid 60's if not 70 km/h.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,469 ✭✭✭FishOnABike

Speedometers aren't that inaccurate. Although EU law allows a speedometer to indicate anywhere betweem 100% and 100%+4 kmh of the actual speed your speedometer is unlikely to over indicate your speed by more than 4 or 5 kmh.

A speedometer displaying 70kmh when a car is actually moving at 60kmh would be at the absolute limit of the legally alowed accuracy.

From experience, comparing to GPS and roadside speed indicator radar, my car is within +4kmh of the actual speed at 30 / 50 / 80 / 100 / 120 kmh.

If my speedometer indicated 55kmh I would expect 52 or 53 kmh. If it indicated 70 I'd expect my actual was 66 or 67kmh, not anywhere near 50.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,511 ✭✭✭OwlsZat

It most certainly wasn't deliberate. I drove from Kerry to Dublin at my ease. I'd didn't floor it or deliberately ignore any signs. I just had an expectation that the speed limit was appropriate for the road. I've since learned two places it's not. Lone behold they always have speed vans. The shock of it all.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 The Spy Queen

Hi folks , got stopped for speeding few months back. Guard explained what i was travelling at etc. Proceeds to ask me for details etc, no problem then asks for drivers license which unfortunately i left at work as drive for living . No problem said guard just bring it too nearest garda station within ten days. Did that , last week got two summonses in door , 1 for non display of insurance and 1 non production of insurance certificate. Even though my car is fully insured and and was clearly displayed on windscreen . When i brought license to station i distinctly asked guard behind desk is there anything else i need to do and he said no. Does anyone know where i stand now. Ive to take a day of work to attend court hearing of something im completely innocent of unless i dont recall guard telling me to produce insurance cert with license. Is it common to be asked to produce insurance if you dont have your license on you person at time of been stopped .

Thank you in advance

• Advertisement

Are you sure they didn't ask you to produce insurance certificate too? It is common for both to be requested even if you only don't have one or the other.

Even if it had a valid disc the certificate has more details as to who is insured and if there are any named drivers and such which is why it's demanded and not just a valid disc.

That's usually the case, probably ticked that when creating the ticket that both licence and insurance were to be produced and the system automatically checks them and if there is nothing on Pulse to say it was produced an automatic summons is issued for those two offences.

The Garda who you produced the details to at the station wouldn't have known what you were asked to produce other than what you told them (assuming it wasn't the same Garda who stopped you) and would have just inputed the driver's licence and nothing else as per your directions.

Usually a good idea to contact the station and get a hold of Garda involved to see if it can be rectified, worst case scenario is you attend court on day in question with your insurance certificate and it gets struck out.

I've seen it happen lots of times where someone has been asked to produce both but only think the licence is needed as they had a disc displayed at the time and end up in a similar situation.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 The Spy Queen

Ok thank you for taking time to reply. i happened to go into garda station today and gard behind desk said yes they wouldnt be able to tell what was required to be produced. He said it was unusual to be asked to produce insurance but it was possible. He reckons my best bet was to try talk to gard before hearing and explain to him what happened and have proof of insurance etc and most likely he will leave it at that.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,997 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

The vans cost the State about €10 million a year to operate, so they are a considerable drain on the State. Or to look at it another way, that's two schools not getting built each year because we can't trust drivers to obey speed limits.

Hi BuidTheWall, yes, unfortunately I did! 7 weeks later, I eventually got my fine....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,455 ✭✭✭FGR

Be grateful for what we've got lads as the next thing will be fixed cameras operating 24/7.

Give me the guards and the go safe vans any day.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,455 ✭✭✭FGR

Double post please delete

• Registered Users Posts: 639 ✭✭✭funnyclub

Folks do Gardai with a speed gun stop you for your details if you are speeding or can you get done without being stopped? Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 14,685 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

They’d come after you. You won’t get anything in post

• Registered Users Posts: 28,861 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

They technically now don't need to stop you (if they caught you with one of the new guns) but from looking at their Twitter anyway or even just watching them on the motorways, they seem to still be chasing people down and stopping them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22 Clickclickboom

Hi guys,

i am new in Ireland and I was wondering how speed limit enforcement works.

My understanding is that only speed vans and “mobile” Garda can check speed and fine accordingly, is it correct ?

Or are there also “stable” and static speed cameras like other countries (Spain, France) ?

Thanks

Advertisement