Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Speeding Q&A superthread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 269 ✭✭JayPS 2288

Didn’t realise you were a Garda. I was led to believe no calibrated camera was required.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,503 ✭✭✭Killinator

As I alluded to, it's not 'required' but better any man then me who gives evidence for the state in a prosecution for speeding without at least a speed gun reading as evidence and leaves themselves open to a hostile defence and likely judge.

Proof of calibration is not needed, for what it's worth they are calibrated regularly, as are the handheld Dragers (alcometers) and the station breath test machine.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,554 ✭✭✭wassie

I believe these views are perpetuated from a legacy of days gone by before accurate speed measurement instruments existed. The law still permits such charges to be tested in a court, but as @Killinator points out, it is open to a robust defence and may not be viewed lightly by the presiding judge.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,625 ✭✭✭ThebitterLemon

Hi, usually careful driver but due to lack of concentration coming into Galway on a dual carriageway (limit 100) I noticed a speed van about 150-250 metres ahead. I checked my speed at that point as 107 kph and slowed immediately. I think my speedometer is only about 2-3kph over calibrated (if that the right phrase) so probably doing 104 or 105.

There were no other cars around me.

I appreciate any opinions/advice on the likelihood of me getting penalty points notice.

Thanks

TbL

Zero

• Advertisement

Thank you

on basis of speed or distance ?

TbL

• Registered Users Posts: 28,861 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

If you were doing about 104/105 in a 100 when you saw it and started slowing immediately, there's no way you'd get a ticket for that IMO

You have to be almost beside the back of the van before it takes a picture and by the sounds of it you were probably already at/under 100 by then anyway.

Thanks

was definitely under 100 kph by the time I was within 100 metres

TbL

• Registered Users Posts: 4,132 ✭✭✭chicorytip

Do all incidents of speeding caught by camera or speed gun result in fines being issued? Do they allow leeway for less serious transgressions - say travelling 5kph over the limit as opposed to 20kph - and depending on the location where the offence was recorded, be it town, countryside or motorway?

Speed gun captures (actual Gardai) have more leeway than GoSafe tend to have (via roadside discretion/informal caution)

There is no hard and fast (excuse the pun) rule as to what you may be allowed to drive over the limit.

If they said the limit was 5km over then everyone (speaking in general terms) would then drive everywhere at 105 instead of 100. And following in from that they would start eeking over the 105 as the thought would be 'ah sure they let you go 5km over, and I'm only doing 3 or 4 over that, be grand' and that just grows from there.

As far as the Gardaí and GoSafe are concerned, the limit is the limit and anything above that is a roll of the dice if you are willing. They will never come out and openly state that you are permitted to go faster than the posted limit within a certain range, for obvious reasons.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14 Jack142

Hi guys,

Was leaving Galway city last night and passed a speed van doing around 56 give or take a kilometer in a 50km/h zone. Slowed down coming up to van and was doing 45km/h (which would be around 42km/h given the speedometer over reading). What are the chances of me getting a fine?

If you were under 50 by the time you passed the back door of the van you'll be grand

• Registered Users Posts: 4,606 ✭✭✭Treppen

Find out here how much time you gain by speeding.

https://www.shouldispeed.com/

TL:dr maybe 10-15 minutes for driving like a lion. Not worth it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,773 ✭✭✭masterboy123

If the speed camera van is located on the other side of road as you're travelling, could you still get speeding ticket?

On a N road with max 100 kmph limit.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,319 ✭✭✭blackbox

• Registered Users Posts: 5,773 ✭✭✭masterboy123

Thanks. I was always curious about this situation.

It can catch people on the other side of the road but only after they've passed the back door and only within a VERY limited range.

If you've slowed down by the time you hit that point you should be fine.

Here's a bit of an odd one for ye...

Coming home on the motorway tonight and was overtaken as I was just passing under an exit by another car. On the far side of the exit/on ramp blue lights appeared, but it was dark and so I've no clue if it was a squad car, ambulance or fire truck. Anyway, I drove on at 120ish figuring that if it was indeed a speed trap and they wanted me they would catch up for a chat, but the lights never got any closer and disappeared about 2 exits later so either it was the slowest squad car ever or they stopped the other car (which I'd overtaken again at that point), or not one at all.

I rang the closest station to the junction in question when I got home though and the very decent Garda reckoned that if it was indeed a Garda car and they wanted a word they'd have pulled me in. I asked what the protocol is in such cases - if you're not even sure if it's a Garda car should you slow/pull in? (I didn't think so for obvious safety reasons on a motorway in the dark). He agreed saying their advice is to drive on unless stopped. He said he'd check with the Traffic guys though.

Strange one anyway.. Anyone ever come across something like this?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,119 ✭✭✭mikeecho

Something similar happened to Betty & Barney Hill.

I don't think it was Aliens anyway!

Still, I've rang the traffic division for that area since and the consensus seems to be that if indeed it was a Garda car and they went to the effort of coming after someone, they'd pull them in.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1 kmc 40

has Anyone come across a mounted camera on the roof of what I thought was a guard keep but maybe ambulance couldn’t distinguish read the word koretec or something like this?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,911 ✭✭✭bradlente

Was on the n4 from Mullingar towards the toll booth last week and spotted a van in the distance on the stretch where the k service station is and speeds drop to 100 briefly. I remember looking down and seeing 107km on the speedometer and dropping off from there, but maybe they picked it up at more or less than that. Wondering what my chances are of getting ticketed? Guess I'll know soon enough.

Also wanted to know if anyone uses a particular app or dashcam to help with speed limit notifications or camera spots? This would be my second ticket in only a few months and I'll be off the road for 6 months with a third.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,997 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

• Registered Users Posts: 3,554 ✭✭✭wassie

Also wanted to know if anyone uses a particular app or dashcam to help with speed limit notifications or camera spots? This would be my second ticket in only a few months and I'll be off the road for 6 months with a third.

Have a look at Waze - its owned by Google so the mapping is spot on. Its a good app to help you keep your speed in check.

It will use your phones GPS for speed readings (so it is accurate) and you can set the over limit alerts (visual and audible). It also has crowd sourced alerts/warnings so I find it pretty useful on the motorways to alert for speed vans but obviously should never be relied upon to avoid speed detection.

Most modern dash cams like Garmin have good speed limit alerts setup also - they are probably slightly better as they use the camera to identify speed signs and hence more reliable than mapping - the more expensive versions also have a few other safety features in built also.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,388 ✭✭✭ofcork

Bloody passing an artic on the south ring yeaterday saw van up ahead speedo was showing about 110,hopefully didnt do me artic had view of van blocked!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,280 ✭✭✭munster87

Garda speed gun fines are sent out in post these days without the Garda pulling you over?

They can be but rarely, are you sure it was a speed gun and not a gosafe van?

Post edited by Killinator on

• Registered Users Posts: 5,119 ✭✭✭mikeecho

• Registered Users Posts: 4,280 ✭✭✭munster87

Cheers. It was a Garda holding something, could have been one of their cameras, not sure!

• Advertisement

Wait, just to confirm, Have you recieved a notice or are you pre-empting it because you were over the limit but not stopped?

Advertisement