Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Speeding Q&A superthread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,388 ✭✭✭ofcork

This one was parked up near the tunnel in cork no guard outside it,I was in the outside lane with other cars in front and behind me with slower traffic inside.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,644 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

ofcork wrote: »
    This one was parked up near the tunnel in cork no guard outside it,I was in the outside lane with other cars in front and behind me with slower traffic inside.

They were outside?
    Investigating something else maybe?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,503 ✭✭✭Killinator

ofcork wrote: »

Well, the most obvious part is left out.....were you speeding or not speeding*

*Speeding being defined as driving over the posted speed limit

They were outside?
    Investigating something else maybe?

No sorry there was no one outside it from what i could see,you answered my question they dont use it as a gatso.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Jaqueline Monedula

Killinator - thank you so much, I appreciate the response, sorry it's taken me a bit to get back to you. Your calm reply was very welcome.

• Advertisement

Killinator - thank you so much, I appreciate the response, sorry it's taken me a bit to get back to you. Your calm reply was very welcome.

No bother, glad to help

• Registered Users Posts: 293 ✭✭ifeelabreeze

Got pulled for speeding yesterday, similar thing to OP.
    Fella ahead of me was doing less than 80 for a few km of a 100 stretch, decided to speed up and I decided I wasn't waiting around for him to slow down again so I over took.
    Unmarked car in the lay, saw the lights, pulled over before she had even made the U turn.
    3 points and €80 fine, she wasn't the friendliest of guards.

Hoping it doesn't screw me for insurance, I know it's usually only a 5% but if a car is already up on €2k to insure, will they just add the 5% or could that 5% push it into the 'unfortunately we cannot offer you a quote at this time'?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,464 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Most of the time, people who slow down like that for no apparent reason and then speed up again are on the phone. Pity the guard couldn't have caught him instead.

Unless you have points already, 3 for speeding shouldn't make any difference.

Alun wrote: »
    Most of the time, people who slow down like that for no apparent reason and then speed up again are on the phone. Pity the guard couldn't have caught him instead.

Unless you have points already, 3 for speeding shouldn't make any difference.

Wouldn't be surprised to be honest, he also cut me off pulling out a junction earlier.
    I had plenty of opportunities to overtake him and I decided for one reason or another not to (waited to long, didn't know the road, not enough of a straight stretch etc.), of course I did it in the speedtrap.

She said to me 'you were doing 119 in a 100, and that was after you passed him', I said 'well I was passed you by the time I passed him so I'm not sure how you clocked that'.

Wouldn't be surprised to be honest, he also cut me off pulling out a junction earlier.
    I had plenty of opportunities to overtake him and I decided for one reason or another not to (waited to long, didn't know the road, not enough of a straight stretch etc.), of course I did it in the speedtrap.

She said to me 'you were doing 119 in a 100, and that was after you passed him', I said 'well I was passed you by the time I passed him so I'm not sure how you clocked that'.

Are we missing something here. Did they use a speed gun.
    It wouldn't matter wether you had passed the Garda vehicle or not to clock you after you made you're overtake, they can point the gun in any direction they see fit so could have clocked you after you had made the overtake and after you had passed them which means their statement would be correct. If fact them saying you were doing 119 after the overtake indicates that that is where they clocked you and got the speed after you had passed them.
    If that was the case and if that was your response I can see why you didn't get any leeway!

• Advertisement

Killinator wrote: »
    Are we missing something here. Did they use a speed gun.
    It wouldn't matter wether you had passed the Garda vehicle or not to clock you after you made you're overtake, they can point the gun in any direction they see fit so could have clocked you after you had made the overtake and after you had passed them which means their statement would be correct. If fact them saying you were doing 119 after the overtake indicates that that is where they clocked you and got the speed after you had passed them.
    If that was the case and if that was your response I can see why you didn't get any leeway!

I never saw the gun/speed but I'm assuming that she used one.

This was after she gave my back my licence and said 'there's you're licence, please slow down', I thought I had gotten away with just a warning but then she said 'that's going to be an €80 fixed penalty notice and 3 points, I said '3 points!?' (not realising it's a fixed amount for speeding).
    She said 'you were doing 119 in a 100 and that's after you'd overtaken the car', so I said how I'd passed her by the time I'd passed him so I'm not sure how she clocked that.

I'm betting she just kept the gun on me as I passed her car.

I was being stupid and I was pissed off at the time.
    I've no excuse for speeding beyond wanting to get passed that fella.
    I thought it was going to make a serious dent in my insurance at the time so I wasn't too pleased.

I just know I need to slow down and cop on.
    Might start using the cruise control a bit more to cure my heavy foot syndrome.

I'm hoping to change up to a MK7 Golf GTI or Golf R if I can stretch to it in the coming months, so I'm going to have to use some more restraint behind the wheel.

I never saw the gun/speed but I'm assuming that she used one.

This was after she gave my back my licence and said 'there's you're licence, please slow down', I thought I had gotten away with just a warning but then she said 'that's going to be an €80 fixed penalty notice and 3 points, I said '3 points!?' (not realising it's a fixed amount for speeding).
    She said 'you were doing 119 in a 100 and that's after you'd overtaken the car', so I said how I'd passed her by the time I'd passed him so I'm not sure how she clocked that.

I'm betting she just kept the gun on me as I passed her car.

I was being stupid and I was pissed off at the time.
    I've no excuse for speeding beyond wanting to get passed that fella.
    I thought it was going to make a serious dent in my insurance at the time so I wasn't too pleased.

I just know I need to slow down and cop on.
    Might start using the cruise control a bit more to cure my heavy foot syndrome.

I'm hoping to change up to a MK7 Golf GTI or Golf R if I can stretch to it in the coming months, so I'm going to have to use some more restraint behind the wheel.

Fair enough, I've been got myself and it's frustrating but at the end of the day I had to accept that I was the person in control and I was aware of the posted limit so I had to shoulder the blame.
    The first 3 points generally makes no dent to insurance (bar maybe a small 'admin' fee as it's technically a change of details), it hasn't for me the 2 times I've been done.

My first clocking was in a Mk5 GTI, thankfully I've not been clocked yet in the R :p

I got 3 from a gosafe doing 111 in a 100 and my insurance actually came down a fiver!!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,119 ✭✭✭mikeecho

8... There. I've said it before and I'll say it again 8

Now the device is accurate to within ±1km/h

But I've never seen a ticket by a gosafe for less than 8.

If someone says otherwise, just post a pic of the ticket.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 Avadacov

Hi, hoping someone can offer some advice!

Was returning to Dublin from Cork today - was on the M7 motorway and had the cruise control set to 120km. Was sitting in the outside lane as there was a lot of slower moving traffic. Spotted a Garda traffic corps car sitting on one of the flyover bridges - they were stopped on the Dublin-facing side of the road, so I had a chance to reduce my speed by a few km by the time I had passed under the bridge. Checked my rear view mirror and caught sight of a Guard in the drivers seat of the car and they had their window down but couldn't make out if they were holding a speed camera out of the window facing both lanes of traffic.

I know there may be a slight variance in the digital read of 120km of approx 5km. I had Google maps on at the time and it was showing my speed at 113km.

I'm wondering would i be at risk of getting a fine and points through the door??

• Registered Users Posts: 14,683 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

Not a hope. If CC was set at 120 you’re fine. Not sure why you even slowed down.

Paranoia! I have had a few close shaves on the Cork/Dublin stretch so really trying to keep the speed below or around the limit. The CC wasnt set higher than 123-125km today at any stage. Is it possible that even if my digital speed was at 123km or so that its unlikely to turn into an actual offense?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,004 ✭✭✭FileNotFound

First off your car set at 120 means your really only doing 115 ish. Then the gardai often allow a little.

Also unless they have a set type of camera they tend to have top chance and stop you to give you a ticket.

I think that all cars are now made to claim slightly higher speed than reality by a small percentage (the old days of +/- 10% are long gone).

Your safe as many houses and worst case scenario 3 points currently costs approx 60 euro per year on an insurance policy (simple loading thing they do) and don't seem to impact being quoted (maybe an issue if your 9+)

Thank you. I have a clean licence so not concerned about 9+ points, more just the sickner of potentially being caught when I was trying to behave.

I definitely didn't see a tripod set up, however I thought the guards now have new handheld laser devices that they don't actually have to stop you in order to book you.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,004 ✭✭✭FileNotFound

Some of them do but my understanding is its a small enough number.

For peace of mind I set my CC at 125+km and have passed loads and never had 1 issue.

I would hope and expect you will be fine.

• Advertisement

I don't understand, the road is 120km/h and you were driving at max 120km/h, and you slowed down still further.

Why would you think you'd get a ticket?

• Registered Users Posts: 1 ethens16

Hi guys,

Is there any number to call to know if a ticket was sent out. I changed address 2 years ago.

Many thanks.

Every gombeen does it. Slows down to 60 passing a speed van in a 100 zone. "just in case"

What are the chances of a gosafe catching you in the outside lane of a 4 lane road with traffic in all 4 lanes,he was parked on the verge next to inside lane i was doing around 110 with a range rover in front of me as well.

Depends on multiple factors.

The gosafe vans themselves are designes to read across multiple lanes.

What was the limit? 100?

If so you maybe ok as you may have only been doing 5 or 6 km over in reality and would be unlikely to be ticketed.

The Range Rover Infront shouldn't make a difference, unless you were tailgating it, which is a whole other thing. If you were keeping a safe distance back from it then the gap between both of you would have been enough for the car to be picked up by the camera.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,863 ✭✭✭RobAMerc

this is it - hitting the brakes at 120kph for no reason is far more dangerous than driving 100kms at 130kph. Braking for no good reason is stupid, not knowing you were doing 120kph and knowing you were ok to pass the Van is dangerous. But then try explain that to the "slow down" brigade. 😒

• Registered Users Posts: 2,647 ✭✭✭impr0v

Re the Gardaí allowing a little: I got stopped and ticketed on the M8 on Friday. The Garda told me to take it easy and to set my cruise control to 130 in future.

• Registered Users Posts: 254 ✭✭micah537

I'm wondering should I go to court or not.

I was at a clients site and not familiar with this road. There was a 80km sign after leaving the site which I was doing but my fine says 78km in a 60km speed limit. I asked the client what the speed limit is and he said it drops to 60km for a few hundred metres.

The 60km sign is missing, I checked on my dash cam and there was a silver pole with no sign on it. Any point going to court? I wasn't intentionally breaking the limit.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,469 ✭✭✭FishOnABike

Is there a 60kmh sign on the opposite side of the road or were both missing? If they're missing I'd photograph the scene before they are replaced just in case you want to contest the speeding prosecution.

I have seen a district court judge throw out speeding prosecutions where the speed limit sign was obscured by vegetation. However, this may very well depend on the judge in question.

It may come down to whether engaging a solicitor, taking time off for court and risking increased fine and points is worth the risk v accepting the fixed penalty fine and three penalty points.

A local solicitor, familiar with the local courts would be best able to advise - my experience is that judges tend to be better disposed to people who have legal representation and who also turn up in person in court.

Advertisement