Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

British Airways To Paint 747-400 In BOAC Colours

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 9,842 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tenger

The guy on twitter last week was right!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,420 ✭✭✭cml387

Great idea. IMO the best airline design ever. That gold speedbird on the tail:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,781 ✭✭✭Comhrá

Will be nice to see a decent livery freshly applied. The BOAC job won't disappoint.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,348 ✭✭✭basill

Given the leaks of the AL paint scheme, assuming its the same paint shop I suspect we should see the BOAC scheme soon enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,748 ✭✭✭Captain_Crash

There will be four BA 747's coming to DUB in the next few weeks for paint, at least two of them will receive a retro of some sort. The next is expected to be the Landor scheme.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 439 ✭✭TedR

Does anyone know the arrival times on these, or is that find-out-able anywhere?

TedR wrote: »
    Does anyone know the arrival times on these, or is that find-out-able anywhere?
    Definitely ‘find out able’. Press release says unveiling in London on Feb 18th, so guess aircraft will arrive into Dublin sometime after the 8-10th. Times will be known closer to the time.

In relation to the EI leaks, doubt confidentiality is as important as the BOAC image was included in the press release.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,950 ✭✭✭EchoIndia

The 1970s Negus scheme that the BA 747s wore for a decade or more would also be a good choice.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,197 ✭✭✭arubex

Negus was great, I grew-up with it and it made Belfast feel like a Big World City when we got the Tridents in Negus rather than being a regional-backwater for BEA. I was gutted when the dreary grey-skies Landor livery arrived.

But my favourites were amongst the BEA-BOAC-BA interim hybrids, such as this one which mixed BOAC and Negus:

http://www.aussieairliners.org/b-747i/united%20kingdom/british/4635.032l.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,950 ✭✭✭EchoIndia

G-BYGE due Dublin tomorrow around lunchtime. This could change, of course.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,231 ✭✭✭kevinandrew

This is going to look fantastic, the BOAC livery is stunning and will suit the 747-400 perfectly. I just hope they don't stick that British Airways '100' Centenary logo on the back as shown in the drawing, I know the BOAC name may not be as familiar with the flying public today but there sill isn't a need for the current logo to be plastered on the back like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,609 ✭✭✭adam88

Any word on them doing anything with their cabins. Flew on one to São Paulo two years back, boy did it show its age. If I recall correctly it didn’t even have usb or power sockets. Even the cabin crew member looking after us said it was an old bird.

This is going to look fantastic, the BOAC livery is stunning and will suit the 747-400 perfectly. I just hope they don't stick that British Airways '100' Centenary logo on the back as shown in the drawing, I know the BOAC name may not be as familiar with the flying public today but there sill isn't a need for the current logo to be plastered on the back like that.

Its a legal requirement to have the name of the airline operating the flight visible. (EI's 757's have "Operated by ASL" by the door). As the aircraft will be operated by BA, it has to have British Airways branding on the aircraft.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,150 ✭✭✭rameire

EchoIndia wrote: »
    G-BYGE due Dublin tomorrow around lunchtime. This could change, of course.

On her way to Lagos at the moment.

🌞 3.8kwp, 🌞 Split 2.28S, 1.52E. 🌞 Clonee, Dub.🌞

rameire wrote: »
    On her way to Lagos at the moment.

Due to be unveiled in LHR on 18 Feb, so cant see it coming in just yet. Id imagine early Feb, 8th or 9th maybe.

Due to be unveiled in LHR on 18 Feb, so cant see it coming in just yet. Id imagine early Feb, 8th or 9th maybe.

Apparently 4 B747 are scheduled in for repaint. So we could see a normal repaint before then.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,197 ✭✭✭arubex

Latest rumour 09:15 arrival 26 January. Yes, tomorrow.

That's all I got, buster.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,920 ✭✭✭billy few mates

Its a legal requirement to have the name of the airline operating the flight visible. (EI's 757's have "Operated by ASL" by the door). As the aircraft will be operated by BA, it has to have British Airways branding on the aircraft.

Is it a legal requirement or a marketing thing?
    I've seen it on some aircraft on wet leases but not seen it on others. I wasn't aware of any regulation that called for it so I always thought it was a marketing thing for the operator especially given the prominent locations you often see these markings...

Is it a legal requirement or a marketing thing?
    I've seen it on some aircraft on wet leases but not seen it on others. I wasn't aware of any regulation that called for it so I always thought it was a marketing thing for the operator especially given the prominent locations you often see these markings...
    I saw it in Summer 17. EI had hired in Titan to operate a Transatlantic flight for them. All pax checking in got a leaflet advising them of the hire-in. I was able to have a read of it, it was essentially “due to issues with our aircraft we have sub hired an equally qualified airline to operate your flight to prevent disruption to you”
    Therefore I think it’s a legal thing associated with holding an AOC. I’m assuming there’s a clause allowing this under certain conditions and frequency.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,231 ✭✭✭kevinandrew

That's fair enough and pretty much expected but there's a difference between the large British Airways '100' logo design displayed on the drawings and an "operated by" sticker on the door. The large specially design birthday sticker may serve the legal requirement purpose but it's also an unnecessary marketing tool that takes away from the authenticity of the retro jet.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,004 ✭✭✭Pat Dunne

arubex wrote: »
    Latest rumour 09:15 arrival 26 January. Yes, tomorrow.

That's all I got, buster.

Now on her way, expected in DUB a little after 09:30 :)
    Should make a nice photo op for the "Mound People", as she'll be coming in on 28.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,144 ✭✭✭peter1892

Pat Dunne wrote: »
    Now on her way, expected in DUB a little after 09:30 :)

Yep, here she is: https://fr24.com/BAW9173/1f4cd62f

Posted on Twitter that STD is Monday at 0830, STA LHR 0955

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Mortelaro

The tail

• Registered Users Posts: 2,369 ✭✭✭acquiescefc

Supposed to be live on this channel.
    Not sure if its the ceremony in LHR and/or leaving DUB
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCYCxVhcegIEBcywYojJqfeQ

or possibly here https://twitter.com/shesgotwings777

Hoping its on my SFO flight next month

• Registered Users Posts: 4,781 ✭✭✭Comhrá

From Twitter

DzrOZ7fWsAAHyQC.jpg:large

• Registered Users Posts: 745 ✭✭✭vectorvictor

Comhra wrote: »
    From Twitter

DzrOZ7fWsAAHyQC.jpg:large

Very decent job - nice attention to detail with the engines too.

Shame about the BA logo at the back but guess better than putting it up front

• Registered Users Posts: 4,177 ✭✭✭goingnowhere

They have to have a BA decal somewhere as BOAC don't exist, it doesn't apply to most retro liveries as they retain the original name

• Registered Users Posts: 3,086 ✭✭✭Nijmegen

Turned out really well. Looking forward to seeing the others, too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭Davidth88

That is stunning.

I am old enough to remember the original thing on VC10/707 and the like.

Advertisement