Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

British Airways To Paint 747-400 In BOAC Colours

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,700 ✭✭✭tricky D

Hoping its on my SFO flight next month
    G-BYGE is on the way there as I type and has been a few times since the job.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,395 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

• Registered Users Posts: 1,231 ✭✭✭kevinandrew

They have to have a BA decal somewhere as BOAC don't exist, it doesn't apply to most retro liveries as they retain the original name
    All that’s legally required is an ‘Operated by British Airways’ sticker on the door.

The large British Airways ‘100’ logo is as much for marketing purposes as it is for the legal aspect.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,920 ✭✭✭billy few mates

All that’s legally required is an ‘Operated by British Airways’ sticker on the door.

The large British Airways ‘100’ logo is as much for marketing purposes as it is for the legal aspect.

Where is the legislation that says it's a legal requirement to have this?

Anyone else think there's an element of the 'Emperor's new clothes' the way they appear to be completely blown away by it across the water..?
    As liverys go it's pretty bog standard and basic, other than the fact it harks back to bygone days I can't see what all the excitement is about and I'm all for retro liveries...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,748 ✭✭✭Captain_Crash

Anyone else think there's an element of the 'Emperor's new clothes' the way they appear to be completely blown away by it across the water..?
    As liverys go it's pretty bog standard and basic, other than the fact it harks back to bygone days I can't see what all the excitement is about and I'm all for retro liveries...

I think its a beautiful livery, and as an enthusiast it was a chance to see an iconic livery that I've never seen in the flesh before.

I agree with your point about over indulgence in the UK with it, but I'd put it down to pride! I saw footage on Twitter of one elderly man crying saying he never imagined he'd see his beautiful BOAC 747 back in Heathrow. I believe he was an ex BOAC captain and I can understand the emotional aspect it brings to some.

Same thing happened with the 757 in the Negus livery a few years back.

I think its a beautiful livery, and as an enthusiast it was a chance to see an iconic livery that I've never seen in the flesh before.

I agree with your point about over indulgence in the UK with it, but I'd put it down to pride! I saw footage on Twitter of one elderly man crying saying he never imagined he'd see his beautiful BOAC 747 back in Heathrow. I believe he was an ex BOAC captain and I can understand the emotional aspect it brings to some.

Same thing happened with the 757 in the Negus livery a few years back.

Just me so...:)

Just me so...:)

Haha, sure aren't liveries the most subjective thing in aviation:p

• Registered Users Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭theguzman

Now that is a proper livery something to be proud of, airheads and beancounters in Aer Lingus take note.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 9,842 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tenger

theguzman wrote: »
    Now that is a proper livery something to be proud of, airheads and beancounters in Aer Lingus take note.
    Let’s be balanced here, it’s a one off livery for marketing reasons. It’s not like the Eurowhite trend will suddenly vanish due to a lovely retro livery.

I can understand the furore in the UK. BOAC was an icon and will revive fond memories for many ppl. In addition apart from a short lived retro livery on a B757 about 6-7 years ago this the first ‘proper’ retro for BA. And there are2 more to come before the summer.

I guess the BA 100 celebrations and events will be very popular as the UK and BA themselves hark back to the time of “The worlds favourite airline”
    The timing of this with March 29th looming does seem either bad timing or perfect depending on your political opinion.

• Advertisement

Tenger wrote: »
    Let’s be balanced here, it’s a one off livery for marketing reasons. It’s not like the Eurowhite trend will suddenly vanish due to a lovely retro livery.

I can understand the furore in the UK. BOAC was an icon and will revive fond memories for many ppl. In addition apart from a short lived retro livery on a B757 about 6-7 years ago this the first ‘proper’ retro for BA. And there are2 more to come before the summer.

I guess the BA 100 celebrations and events will be very popular as the UK and BA themselves hark back to the time of “The worlds favourite airline”
    The timing of this with March 29th looming does seem either bad timing or perfect depending on your political opinion.

Its something very British and something to be proud and patriotic about, the timing is perfect and it would be great to see an Imperial Airways livery also.

In contrast to Ireland they take something which was distinctive and an Irish icon like Guinness or Hurling, they come along and throw it in the bin for some homogenised piece of thrash instead.

theguzman wrote: »
    Aer Lingus have their own retrojet flying since 2011 and it’s historically far more accurate than this attempt by British Airways.

Aer Lingus have their own retrojet flying since 2011 and it’s historically far more accurate than this attempt by British Airways.

My gripe is more about the new horrendous livery introduced recently by Aer Lingus.

A319 in BEA's Red Square livery confirmed to be next up for the BA retro look.

https://twitter.com/jaidillon/status/1098887285280591873

• Registered Users Posts: 8,420 ✭✭✭cml387

The BEA livery only works with T tailed aircraft in my opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,950 ✭✭✭EchoIndia

Except for the main shade of green used and the uber-thin cheatline.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,090 ✭✭✭RadioRetro

cml387 wrote: »
    The BEA livery only works with T tailed aircraft in my opinion.
    I well remember the Viscount and Vanguard looking nice in the BEA livery back in the day.

EchoIndia wrote: »

Except for the main shade of green used and the uber-thin cheatline.

The green is indeed a shade too dark but the cheatline is correct. The original 1960s design used a cheatline that corresponded to the window size, a quick look at the 737 or 720 at that time shows an equally thin design. 

There are some exceptions, most notable was the BAC One-Eleven, the cheatline was considerably thicker than its Boeing counterparts. The Viscount also had a much bigger cheatline but this was due to the huge size of the windows.

The green is indeed a shade too dark but the cheatline is correct. The original 1960s design used a cheatline that corresponded to the window size, a quick look at the 737 or 720 at that time shows an equally thin design.

There are some exceptions, most notable was the BAC One-Eleven, the cheatline was considerably thicker than its Boeing counterparts. The Viscount also had a much bigger cheatline but this was due to the huge size of the windows.

Also the 707:
    16888725849_82547e2e59_b.jpg
    EI-AMW Boeing 707-348C by Irish251, on Flickr

Also the 707:

Although nowhere near as noticeable. In fairness the 707, and my own example of the 720 are both poor comparisons as they themselves wore variations of the scheme. 

The current A320 retrojet is based on the 737-200 design, which makes sense for its role and size in the fleet. It's well regarded as one of the better recreations of a former livery despite the aforementioned shade of green. 

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/8/81/Aer_Lingus_Boeing_737-200_Gilliand-1.jpg

This livery featured the same grey belly, black nose and details aft of the rear door such as the location of the registration and aircraft type. The cheatline also continues to wrap around the tail cone, this didn't happen on either the 707 or 720 which instead saw it finish as a thin point either before the horizontal stabs or slightly after them.

• Advertisement

The third retro livery harks back to the early BA days:

https://twitter.com/DaveWallsworth/status/1101434297557364736

RadioRetro wrote: »
    The third retro livery harks back to the early BA days:

https://twitter.com/DaveWallsworth/status/1101434297557364736

Not that early. The red-tail Negus livery was worn for the first ten years or so of BA's existence. This livery will also appear on a B744 this year.

Not that early. The red-tail Negus livery was worn for the first ten years or so of BA's existence. This livery will also appear on a B744 this year.

Oops, should have said 80s, my memory of BA's founding was off by a few years.

• Registered Users Posts: 722 ✭✭✭IrishPlayer

Anybody know when the A319 in the BEA livery is due to leave Shannon airport? Someone said on twitter that it was Sunday.
    Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,532 ✭✭✭john boye

As good as that 744 will look in Landor livery, I really would have liked to see it on a type that never wore it before.

Love the Landor livery but I agree, it would have been nice on a Dreamliner or 777 instead of an aircraft that's already worn it. I know they're referring to these as "heritage liveries" rather than retrojets but one of the best things about retrojets is seeing an old livery on a modern aircraft.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,781 ✭✭✭Comhrá

Due to leave SNN for LHR tomorrow morning around 9.30

from Facebook. Photo Credits : Pilot Holly Sims and Neil Lomax‎, Hawker Siddeley Trident Appreciation Group.

52884277_10218988498325875_26629050638270464_n.jpg?_nc_cat=106&_nc_ht=scontent-dub4-1.xx&oh=e1053fd60e43151ff7d86951ebb46aed&oe=5CE357CD

52963050_2291834147505029_6810855719479279616_n.jpg?_nc_cat=100&_nc_ht=scontent-dub4-1.xx&oh=267c449409bb3243c85695eafb23e774&oe=5CDCB920

Love the Landor livery but I agree, it would have been nice on a Dreamliner or 777 instead of an aircraft that's already worn it. I know they're referring to these as "heritage liveries" rather than retrojets but one of the best things about retrojets is seeing an old livery on a modern aircraft.

777-200s did wear the Landor livery, though.
    15785181923_3c3ec60c85_c.jpg

I'd completely forgotten about the Landor 777! Stupid of me considering I have a poster of one with a 737 pointing towards its massive GE90 for a size comparison shot! 

The BEA 'Red Square' livery is going to look great, the A319 was an excellent choice. Most Airbus narrow bodies really suit liveries of this era, the rounded nose is a factor I think.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,781 ✭✭✭Comhrá

Currently er SNN LHR.

D0zd58KWkAAMMC2.jpg

D0zWEvqWoAAbOVh.jpg

Advertisement