Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

British Airways To Paint 747-400 In BOAC Colours

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭theguzman

Hopefully they get the opportunity to park all the retrojets in order or some remote stand and do a photo op.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,705 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

Credit to Shannon Airport for getting both the BEA and EI retrojets in the same photo.

https://twitter.com/shannonairport/status/1102528532410970112?s=21

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,707 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

I think the retro paint schemes look much better than the modern stuff. Maybe I'm getting old?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,781 ✭✭✭Comhrá

I think the retro paint schemes look much better than the modern stuff. Maybe I'm getting old?

#MeToo (and also getting old) :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,712 ✭✭✭roundymac

Comhra wrote: »
    #MeToo (and also getting old) :)
    Its great being old.;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,748 ✭✭✭Captain_Crash

roundymac wrote: »
    Its great being old.;)

I love the way the cheat-line on both retro's so far splits the white top from the gray underside (to a lesser extent EI's retro does too) its a great looking contrast.

• Registered Users Posts: 276 ✭✭stopthepanic

RadioRetro wrote: »
    The third retro livery harks back to the early BA days:

https://twitter.com/DaveWallsworth/status/1101434297557364736

Due to depart Dublin at 08:55 tomorrow, Sat 09th March.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 9,842 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tenger

theguzman wrote: »
    Hopefully they get the opportunity to park all the retrojets in order or some remote stand and do a photo op.

I’m pretty sure they have a plan to do this. Great marketing photo op.
    All 4 retros in place with a B787 to welcome a B777 delivery.
    “Our past has allowed us to look forward to the future”

• Registered Users Posts: 8,420 ✭✭✭cml387

It's a great pity that G-BOAC is not flying anymore. That would make a great encore.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

Due to depart Dublin at 08:55 tomorrow, Sat 09th March.

No pictures floating around?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,460 ✭✭✭Arthur Daley

Not out of the shed yet

• Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

Not out of the shed yet

Over the Irish Sea now Arthur, anyway there’s plenty online now thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 1,349 ✭✭✭Kenny2012

G-BNLY departing Dublin today

46416507895_eacb3c96bd_k.jpgG-BNLY by Ken Meegan, on Flickr

• Registered Users Posts: 10,135 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

She's beautiful Kenneth :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,177 ✭✭✭goingnowhere

cml387 wrote: »
    It's a great pity that G-BOAC is not flying anymore. That would make a great encore.

But G-BOAB is parked in LHR so a ground line up would be possible

• Registered Users Posts: 1,231 ✭✭✭kevinandrew

I think Landor is by far the greatest livery British Airways and any of its predecessors ever had, it's elegant, authoritative and very formal. The overall brand was much sharper and consistent during this era as well, it was their peak in terms of popularity and success. 

British Airways has sometimes struggled to let go of this era branding wise, a few years ago they added a thin red line to the Speedmarque in an attempt to recreate the Landor Speedwing but it just looked clumsy. At the same time they reintroduced an updated 'To Fly. To Serve.' crest which looked great but the application was poor, it's near invisible on the livery and non-existent everywhere else. 

The updated brand guidelines in 2007 also introduced the backward Speedmarque which instead of flowing over the text now points in the opposite direction next to any text, it's really ugly in my opinion and ruins the aerodynamic look which was the whole point of the original design. I think an update is needed at BA, the logo is fine if used properly but some refining is needed to freshen it up, that blue belly is really out of date for example.

• Registered Users Posts: 341 ✭✭IQO

Kenny2012 wrote: »
    G-BNLY departing Dublin today

G-BNLY by Ken Meegan, on Flickr
    Noticed this B747 left as BA833, normally operated by a A320/319. Would there have been passengers on the plane?

https://www.flightradar24.com/data/flights/ba833/#1fbea3aa

Would have been great to fly this plane out of Dublin with the loads of a smaller Airbus.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,950 ✭✭✭EchoIndia

IQO wrote: »
    Noticed this B747 left as BA833, normally operated by a A320/319. Would there have been passengers on the plane?

https://www.flightradar24.com/data/flights/ba833/#1fbea3aa

Would have been great to fly this plane out of Dublin with the loads of a smaller Airbus.

It left from the hangar area as BAW100Y and this was a non-revenue flight. The reference to BA833 must be an error.

• Registered Users Posts: 279 ✭✭paulhardman

EchoIndia wrote: »
    It left from the hangar area as BAW100Y and this was a non-revenue flight. The reference to BA833 must be an error.

The real BA833 operated by an A321 left a few minutes ahead of it.

Advertisement