Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rewire or insulate attic first

Options
  • 21-01-2019 3:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3

Hi

I've recently bought a new house (1930s 2 bed ex-council house) the property needs to be rewired including chasing but I was hoping to leave that a year to save up.

But wanted to get the attic insulated in the next few months, was up there at the weekends and there are a lot of wires up there, my question is, is it a waste of money to insulate attic as it'll have to be pulled up to rewire later on? Also is it safe to insulate over the wires?

And another very general question but can anyone give a rough estimate on how much it would be to rewire a house like this 64sqm cast concrete built and as I mentioned chasing needs to be done.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8 Imnewhere09

asdf85 wrote: »
    Hi

I've recently bought a new house (1930s 2 bed ex-council house) the property needs to be rewired including chasing but I was hoping to leave that a year to save up.

But wanted to get the attic insulated in the next few months, was up there at the weekends and there are a lot of wires up there, my question is, is it a waste of money to insulate attic as it'll have to be pulled up to rewire later on? Also is it safe to insulate over the wires?

And another very general question but can anyone give a rough estimate on how much it would be to rewire a house like this 64sqm cast concrete built and as I mentioned chasing needs to be done.

Thanks in advance for any advice.
    Hi there. I in same situation as you. Cos between 4000-5000 to rewire a house like yours due to new regulations. Smoke alarms etc everywhere. I was told by electrician that it a waste to insulate before rewiring. Cost me 240 euro for rolls of attic insulation and did it myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,745 ✭✭✭meercat

I’d advise not to insulate attic until rewiring is done.
    Also you may save on some chasing if you put insulated aeroboards on outside walls in the future.
    It may be possible to do a neat surface installation and hide wiring at a future date.
    Either way the rewire needs to be done first

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,596 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

+ 1

You will make sh!t of the insulation during the rewire.

Tell the REC about the plans to insulate.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 asdf85

Thanks for the advice yes think I'll get the rewiring done rather than having to re do the insulation

Advertisement