Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Super Bowl LIII - Rams v Patriots

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,010 ✭✭✭Christy42

Enzokk wrote: »
    I’m not taking about the rams. I’m judging Bradys reaction on his own high standards.

Could be, on reflection you have to judge on who you are facing but QB's are funny I guess. I remember Roethlisberger being unhappy when he won his first Super Bowl as he didn't do anything that won them the game. It is an ego thing. I am not sure if Brady is like that though, last year he broke all sorts of passing records and they lost. This year the offense was off colour and they won.
    I imagine he is annoyed because based on his performance they deserved to lose. He didn't perform anywhere close to the level of a Superbowl quarterback and got bailed out by his defense big time. Never mind winning it for them as he has in the past this time he was a weak link which can't be fun to know in such a big game. I sure he will take it over last year though.

This is a Superbowl he got away with and I am sure he is aware of that. Everyone has bad days including Brady. Sure there is talent in the Rams defense but far worse teams have exposed them. We will have to wait and see how well he recovers for next season.

Michel was great and the defense was spectacular. Goff could not deal with the pressure and they treated the Rams offensive line like a speed bump. Goff rarely had a chance to settle and the Rams run game only should life in fits and sparks. Great performance against the top offense from the league.

• Registered Users Posts: 242 ✭✭17togo

PhuckHugh wrote:
    The greatest Superbowl ever.. the perfect game to drive the haters mental.

Definitely not the greatest superbowl ever, possibly one of the worst superbowl ever!

But I can see how Patriots fans will use it as an 'F you' victory.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,146 ✭✭✭✭Foxtrol

Fair play to the Patriots. You take a Super Bowl any way you can get one (or six) but that was an awful spectacle for viewers, even going down to the superfluous stuff like the half time show and most of the ads.

Solid defense from both sides but at the same time not really dominant either (in terms of sacks or turnovers) and both offenses made a bunch of mistakes. In such a tight game Cooks had two chances for TDs that top WRs should be coming down with which was pretty much the difference.

Gurley has come out again post game saying that nothing was wrong with his leg but there has to be something more there. Rams haven't really looked right since he went down and they lost Kupp. Interesting to see how McVay bounces back over the next few years seeing as there's a decent chance the level of talent on his team will decline.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

Christy42 wrote: »
    I imagine he is annoyed because based on his performance they deserved to lose. He didn't perform anywhere close to the level of a Superbowl quarterback

Superbowl quarterback? I can assure you, he doesn't measure himself against other Superbowl winning QBs. He wouldn't lower his standards like that.:pac:
    and got bailed out by his defense big time. Never mind winning it for them as he has in the past this time he was a weak link which can't be fun to know in such a big game..

Probably one the greatest pieces of horse**** I've ever ready in this forum. The GOAT, the man who had 5 Superbowl wins on his shoulders, led the game winning drive in all of them and in the 4th quarter tonight, when other QB's tend to fail. And now he's the weakest link? Got to bed, you're drunk.

This year was probably the weakest Pats teams I've seen in 35 years and certainly of the Brady era. The three most exciting Superbowls of all time were all Pats Superbowls. Tonight, for once, the defense did their job and that's a refreshing change. You got a be seriously pathetic hater to try a crap on Brady for tonight.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

Foxtrol wrote: »
    Fair play to the Patriots. You take a Super Bowl any way you can get one (or six) but that was an awful spectacle for viewers, even going down to the superfluous stuff like the half time show and most of the ads.

The wins over the Seahawks and The Falcons were voted the most exciting Superbowls of all time. And you know what? As any football coach says, it doesn't matter how you win as long as you win. I've been waiting for our defense to win a Superbowl for a long time. Especially since Belichick has his winning defensive game plan for the Giants enshrined in Canton. Tonight, he finally delivered a similar defensive game plan against the Rams. Long overdue imo.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,438 ✭✭✭j8wk2feszrnpao

Fascinating stuff from both defenses, don't think anyone expected 16 total points, and the RAMS esp limited to 3pts.
    Brady was great in last years SB, but did just enough against a D that also turned up; a win is a win is a win.
    I can see neutrals being disappointed, the highlights reel doesn't have much to cover. But as a Pats fan, this is better than 07, 11, and 17; so I don't care!

I imagine he is annoyed because based on his performance they deserved to lose. He didn't perform anywhere close to the level of a Superbowl quarterback

Superbowl quarterback? I can assure you, he doesn't measure himself against other Superbowl winning QBs. He wouldn't lower his standards like that.:pac:
    and got bailed out by his defense big time. Never mind winning it for them as he has in the past this time he was a weak link which can't be fun to know in such a big game..

Probably one the greatest pieces of horse**** I've ever ready in this forum. The GOAT, the man who had 5 Superbowl wins on his shoulders, led the game winning drive in all of them and in the 4th quarter tonight, when other QB's tend to fail. And now he's the weakest link? Got to bed, you're drunk.

This year was probably the weakest Pats teams I've seen in 35 years and certainly of the Brady era. The three most exciting Superbowls of all time were all Pats Superbowls. Tonight, for once, the defense did their job and that's a refreshing change. You got a be seriously pathetic hater to try a crap on Brady for tonight.
    Why? Brady played badly. He had 3 quarters and got two field goal attempts out of it. That is not a good game. If you told Brady how he would play he would not expect a win.

That was no where near the weakest team of the Brady era and that is pretty insulting to some good Patriot players.

The defense has been inconsistent this year but has had some really good games and tonight played lights out. You call holding the greatest offense this season to 0 TDs doing their job? That is above and beyond what anyone expected from any defense against the Rams. Any time Goff dropped back he had a rusher in his face. I could not believe how open Edelman managed to get time after time to give Brady a nice outlet and for some yards. Michel played well, the offensive line has been much improved this season. Brady did a good job of getting it out early (sometimes a little too early) but they gave plenty of time in the pocket and running room when needed.

Brady is the goat and has plenty of incredible Superbowl performances amongst many great games (including a great performance in last years loss). Tonight was a bad night for his performance and a good one for his record books. It happens, last year was the opposite.

You are allowed admit that Brady has a good game now and then and that other Patriot players are good players. I reckon Brady would be insulted if you tried to call that a good performance.

He had 3 quarters and got two field goal attempts out of it. That is not a good game.
    A game is 4 quarters. He came good in the 4th quarter, as he does.
    Pats D was excellent, so was the RAMS D. Romo spent a ton of the game speaking about the pressure Brady was under and the push they got up the middle. Brady wasn't great; thankfully we had a SB where he didn't need to be.

He had 3 quarters and got two field goal attempts out of it. That is not a good game.
    A game is 4 quarters. He came good in the 4th quarter, as he does.
    Pats D was excellent, so was the RAMS D. Romo spent a ton of the game speaking about the pressure Brady was under and the push they got up the middle. Brady wasn't great; thankfully we had a SB where he didn't need to be.
    I am well aware how long a game was.

You did encapsulate my entire point with your last sentence. That was my entire point.

I am well aware how long a game was.
    You don't seem to if you are ruling out an entire quarter and two drives for 10 points that won the game.
    You did encapsulate my entire point with your last sentence. That was my entire point.
    You were saying that they deserved to lose based on his performance and he was the weak link. That's not the same as saying he wasn't great.
    You want to give all the credit to the Pats D, but then ignore how well the RAMS D played and the pressure they applied. Up to you if that's your view; but in a defense dominated game, Brady was good enough, and we'll take it.

• Advertisement

A very honourable mention for the Gronk. Another fantastic play from him tonight. To say he’s earned his success is an understatement. A list of his injuries:

https://amp.si.com/nfl/2019/02/03/rob-gronkowski-injury-history-patriots-complete-list-patriots

• Closed Accounts Posts: 354 ✭✭El CabaIIo

The way I saw it and I'm far frtom an expert was that Brady was feeling pressure through the middle from Suh and Donald(I get the sense that Brady doesn't like that as he's obviously not a qb that rolls out and throwing off the back foot takes away his accuracy). Talib had Gronk on lockdown for the first 3 quarters and Brady doesn't really have any deep threats to stretch the field. All Brady had for most of the game was Edelman getting seperation on the inside routes as the Rams wouldn't give up the outside. I don't know what the time of possession stats were but the Pats had a huge lions share and the Rams D-line looked flat on their feet in the 4th and the run game opened up hugely as well as the the pressure up the middle on Brady waning due to the Rams D-line tiring.

I think it was just a case of the two defences on near lockdown that made both Brady and Goff perform so poorly. The pats made the Rams offensive line of the year look really poor as well as Goff looking like a deer in the headlights, how he didn't get that pass off to Cooks earlier is beyond me. The Gurley situation was strange as well and didn't help the Rams with play-action, the Pats knew exactly what was coming.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,700 ✭✭✭MileHighGuy

El CabaIIo wrote: »
    The way I saw it and I'm far frtom an expert was that Brady was feeling pressure through the middle from Suh and Donald(I get the sense that Brady doesn't like that as he's obviously not a qb that rolls out and throwing off the back foot takes away his accuracy). Talib had Gronk on lockdown for the first 3 quarters and Brady doesn't really have any deep threats to stretch the field. All Brady had for most of the game was Edelman getting seperation on the inside routes as the Rams wouldn't give up the outside. I don't know what the time of possession stats were but the Pats had a huge lions share and the Rams D-line looked flat on their feet in the 4th and the run game opened up hugely as well as the the pressure up the middle on Brady waning due to the Rams D-line tiring.

I think it was just a case of the two defences on near lockdown that made both Brady and Goff perform so poorly. The pats made the Rams offensive line of the year look really poor as well as Goff looking like a deer in the headlights, how he didn't get that pass off to Cooks earlier is beyond me. The Gurley situation was strange as well and didn't help the Rams with play-action, the Pats knew exactly what was coming.

Spot on. The only thing I would say is that Brady was patient, took what he was given, and while he had a few errant throws, there was never a sense of desperation about the Pats that the Rams had. The interception, missed FG and turnover on downs early, gave the game a sense of competitiveness, where in reality the Patriots were, at least, competent in moving the ball.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

That game was the drizzling ****e. A total flop of a superbowl

• Registered Users Posts: 1,700 ✭✭✭MileHighGuy

ricero wrote: »
    That game was the drizzling ****e. A total flop of a superbowl

There's been far worse, I can assure you of that. At least it was close going into the last quarter.

It didn't help that the halftime show was underwhelming too :)

• Registered Users Posts: 15,289 ✭✭✭✭Oat23

Looking forward to GMFB later on. Nate Burleson spent most of the season saying the Patriots weren't going to the superbowl because of their defense and they end up holding the greatest coach in the history of sports to 3 points. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 13,409 ✭✭✭✭gimli2112

fantastic for Brady and Belichick. Didn't realise the coach was 66, Surely retirement beckons soon for both. Brady is not showing any signs of letting up but at his age the fall could be dramatic.
    Their first few wins I was always rooting for their opponents as I'm more NFC but am happy to see them win

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,658 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

just caught up with the game, enjoyable imo even with the low scoring.
    Bigger question is now, does Brady stay?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,325 ✭✭✭Man Vs ManUre

Boring match glad I went to bed at half time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

After the first half was so dire I went to bed and checked the result this morning then watched the 2nd half. Awful game but I'm good with the result.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,644 ✭✭✭D9Male

Just remember the result can pop up in unexpected spots so avoid everything.

And so it did. A radio playing in a coffee shop.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,990 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

What a great game, great defensive struggle. The rams put it up to NE but realistically there was only ever going to be one winner.

6 rings from 9 bowls for Brady now. I wonder if he retires after 10 bowls? I reckon he's got another couple of years anyway - he's still playing top echelon QB now at 41

• Registered Users Posts: 38,486 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

The new people who watch red zone all year hated that game. The person who regularly watches and enjoys full games loved it for the awesome defensive battle that it was.
    Those saying Brady was poor, if he was so bad then how did Edelman get MVP?
    Truth of the matter is that Brady had Edelman, Gronk and a bunch of at best average receivers.
    Also James Develin was immense in that game.

I know it's all fashionable for people to say they love the defensive struggle and they think it makes them seem extra smart etc, but that was not good.

That to me is infinitely a better game of football than a 45-44 shootout.
    In a tactical battle like last night every possession is so important and it all becomes about field position. I had a bad feeling after Gost missing the field goal that we were going to lose by 3.

• Registered Users Posts: 683 ✭✭✭PhuckHugh

Watching it again here... Easily the greatest superbowl ever. Unreal.

I know it's all fashionable for people to say they love the defensive struggle and they think it makes them seem extra smart etc, but that was not good.

Yes I really care so much about what a bunch of keyboard warriors on the internet think, so much so that I'm going to change my opinion on what football contest I enjoy, just so I don't seem like i'm trying to be a knowitall.

Seriously. Where did you come from?:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,200 ✭✭✭troyzer

PhuckHugh wrote: »
    Watching it again here... Easily the greatest superbowl ever. Unreal.

I didn't bother watching it live in the end and just watched it there.

It was awful.

ELM327 wrote: »
    Yes I really care so much about what a bunch of keyboard warriors on the internet think, so much so that I'm going to change my opinion on what football contest I enjoy, just so I don't seem like i'm trying to be a knowitall.

Seriously. Where did you come from?:rolleyes:

That was a seriously keyboard warrior post for one that was calling out the same. Got a little rolleyes in and all, fair play.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 683 ✭✭✭PhuckHugh

troyzer wrote: »
    I didn't bother watching it live in the end and just watched it there.

It was awful.

dont know what you watched - but it was immense.

Advertisement