Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Super Bowl LIII - Rams v Patriots

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 778 ✭✭✭no.8

The defensive battle was highly enjoyable imo. Both teams playing out if their skins. Fair play to the Patriots who got it done but I feel the inexperience of Goff (at that level) nullified the huge offensive threat that they are. It read like watching a Ferrari stuck on second gear (frustrating, open plays missed, ridiculous throws with nothing on).
    The Gurley situation was most baffling. He was the best RB in the stadium by a mile. Must be something the matter (injury it off the field).

Anyways, it was completely different to previous years Superbowls and for that reason I loved it.

Footnote. How different a game would we have seen had the saints been in town?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,438 ✭✭✭j8wk2feszrnpao

just caught up with the game, enjoyable imo even with the low scoring.
    Bigger question is now, does Brady stay?
    He was asked (a number of time before last night and after the game) and he wants to keep playing; he has no intention of retiring. It's a huge factor into what makes him great, he just wants to win games.

But there could be a big offensive reset in the offseason. Edelman and Gronk were the passing offense last night; Edelman will be 33 next year, and Gronk (who may retire) had 3 TDs all season (including the post season) and looks like a guy who is ready to retire. Hogan is a free agent and maybe like Amendola will get an offer the Pats won't match. I don't see the Pats picking up Dorsett's 5th year option, so he will likely leave. Patterson might also get paid somewhere. Josh Gordon, still on the books I believe, may never see the field again.

So strong possibility that only Edelman will be back next year. And for the OL, Trent Brown, who was traded for in the offseason (and cost about 2m compared to Nate Solider who left on a huge deal to the Giants) has been excellent for the Pats; but now has a chance to get a really big contract and again the Pats will probably let him walk.

Maybe they go nuts and trade for Antonio Brown, but it could also be like 2013 when they drafted/signed Dobson/Boyce/Thompkins (yeah, a bunch of nobodies). Either way, interesting what they do in the offseason to try and make it to SB again.

• Registered Users Posts: 683 ✭✭✭PhuckHugh

He was asked (a number of time before last night and after the game) and he wants to keep playing; he has no intention of retiring. It's a huge factor into what makes him great, he just wants to win games.

But there could be a big offensive reset in the offseason. Edelman and Gronk were the passing offense last night; Edelman will be 33 next year, and Gronk (who may retire) had 3 TDs all season (including the post season) and looks like a guy who is ready to retire. Hogan is a free agent and maybe like Amendola will get an offer the Pats won't match. I don't see the Pats picking up Dorsett's 5th year option, so he will likely leave. Patterson might also get paid somewhere. Josh Gordon, still on the books I believe, may never see the field again.

So strong possibility that only Edelman will be back next year. And for the OL, Trent Brown, who was traded for in the offseason (and cost about 2m compared to Nate Solider who left on a huge deal to the Giants) has been excellent for the Pats; but now has a chance to get a really big contract and again the Pats will probably let him walk.

Maybe they go nuts and trade for Antonio Brown, but it could also be like 2013 when they drafted/signed Dobson/Boyce/Thompkins (yeah, a bunch of nobodies). Either way, interesting what they do in the offseason to try and make it to SB again.

How bad must Josh Gordon be feeling today.... what a clown.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

Also, why were the refs coaching the Rams on whether to accept or decline a penalty near the end? Very little made of it but there would have been war had it been the Patriots.

PhuckHugh wrote: »

I'd say so long as he gets a good hit of whatever it is he's taking these days, he'll feel just fine. Absolute waste of oxygen.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

Did it ever come out what substance Edelman tested positive and missed 4 games at the start of this season for?

He'll get a ring I guess, but either way, he has far more serious stuff to worry about.

Also, why were the refs coaching the Rams on whether to accept or decline a penalty near the end? Very little made of it but there would have been war had it been the Patriots.
    I just didn't get the RAMS call. The refs did the right thing by calling the 10yard pen, but the RAMS declined the pen for the Pats to get 4yards on the carry and keep them within FG range. It was strange.

I just didn't get the RAMS call. The refs did the right thing by calling the 10yard pen, but the RAMS declined the pen for the Pats to get 4yards on the carry and keep them within FG range. It was strange.

They wrongly accepted first then the refs had a word and they declined. Very strange to get help from officials like that.

Paully D wrote: »
    Did it ever come out what substance Edelman tested positive and missed 4 games at the start of this season for?
    Don't think so. Must have been something to help recover from the long layoff i time to start the season. In the end it worked out cause he took less physical punishment. Drugs ban to MVP; the NFL :D

• Advertisement

Don't think so. Must have been something to help recover from the long layoff i time to start the season. In the end it worked out cause he took less physical punishment. Drugs ban to MVP; the NFL :D

I see Ewan MacKenna going in balls deep on it since he got the MVP.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭bryangiggsy

Two cracking throws by Brady and even more cracking catches by Gronk won the game in the end. The whole 2nd half i just felt it was the dynasty against the underdogs and there was only going to be one winner.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

In baseball, players who serve a drug ban during the season are automatically banned for the playoffs.

I see Ewan MacKenna going in balls deep on it since he got the MVP.
    He tries so hard to be an sensationalist. He just looks to wind people up; he's been boring for quite some time at this stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,644 ✭✭✭D9Male

eagle eye wrote: »
    The new people who watch red zone all year hated that game. The person who regularly watches and enjoys full games loved it for the awesome defensive battle that it was.
    Those saying Brady was poor, if he was so bad then how did Edelman get MVP?
    Truth of the matter is that Brady had Edelman, Gronk and a bunch of at best average receivers.
    Also James Develin was immense in that game.

I just watched GI40 and I agree with this. The Rams D were excellent, and Brady was good throughout. The INT was a bit of a freak play and overall Brady did what he needed to do. Basically, Brady > Goff and that was the difference between the two teams in my opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,010 ✭✭✭Christy42

Christy42 wrote: »
    I am well aware how long a game was.
    You don't seem to if you are ruling out an entire quarter and two drives for 10 points that won the game.
    You did encapsulate my entire point with your last sentence. That was my entire point.
    You were saying that they deserved to lose based on his performance and he was the weak link. That's not the same as saying he wasn't great.
    You want to give all the credit to the Pats D, but then ignore how well the RAMS D played and the pressure they applied. Up to you if that's your view; but in a defense dominated game, Brady was good enough, and we'll take it.
    I was not ignoring it. I am just aware that generally speaking a QB needs to be good for most of the game for win. I would also not give Brady a whole lot of credit for the final 3 points, which due to game management involved a lot of runs. In the Superbowl I think not playing great and losing are frequently connected. I would love to see who predicted pre game that 13 points would be enough to beat the Rams.

The Rams D was excellent and should be proud of their performance. They struggled to mark Edelman though many teams do. He generates a massive amount of space at times. They did a good job all round really but ended up on the field for too much of the match. They also generated a lot of pressure on Brady to put him off as was likely from that D-line.

I just really feel like that was one of the finest defensive performances I have seen in a Superbowl recently.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

I don't mind a low scoring game, in fact I like them but its very hard to get excited when one of teams look like they have absolutely no chance of scoring

• Registered Users Posts: 8,841 ✭✭✭blackwhite

Pats are paying for his rehab, and it was confirmed last week that he would get a ring if they won.

I'd say there's a very strong chance he'll appear in Gillette stadium as some stage next season.

I just really feel like that was one of the finest defensive performances I have seen in a Superbowl recently.
    It was two of the top scoring teams in the NFL and defense came out on top.
    Personally, I think a lesser QB than Brady would have performed like Geoff; so from my point of view Brady did enough.
    No Giants fan cares that Manning and the Giants had 3pts after 3 quarters of SB XLII. He came up big at the end, and it's history after that.

blackwhite wrote: »
    I'd say there's a very strong chance he'll appear in Gillette stadium as some stage next season.
    Maybe in the crowd, but there's a good chance he'll remain on the suspended list indefinitely. I can feel for any addict; but returning to football has not seemed to help him.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,010 ✭✭✭Christy42

It was two of the top scoring teams in the NFL and defense came out on top.
    Personally, I think a lesser QB than Brady would have performed like Geoff; so from my point of view Brady did enough.
    No Giants fan cares that Manning and the Giants had 3pts after 3 quarters of SB XLII. He came up big at the end, and it's history after that.
    Indeed. And I feel in both games people seem to forget a little about the great defensive performances that had them in range to win the game in the 4th quarter after so little before that. The narration of that is that Eli beat Brady when more credit should have been at Brady being shut down which was something that simply didn't happen at the time.

I would love to see how much time both players had on the ball. Goff had some bad decisions and held on too long at times but a lot of the time he had no time to make a read at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭PhuckHugh2

D9Male wrote: »
    I just watched GI40 and I agree with this. The Rams D were excellent, and Brady was good throughout. The INT was a bit of a freak play and overall Brady did what he needed to do. Basically, Brady > Goff and that was the difference between the two teams in my opinion.

Brady was not good. Fair play to him he got the job done and he was certainly miles ahead of Goff. But that performance was probably his worst superbowl winning performance.
    Also the INT was not a freak it was a bad pass. It should have been caught by the Robey-Coleman first off. Rams D completely suckered him into that throw with the coverage.

There probably should have been 1 or 2 more interceptions for the Rams. He also missed a load of throws. He missed a simple screen pass to James White at one stage. Patriots certainly deserving of the win but i wouldnt be putting much of it on Brady. He did enough is about all id say.

PhuckHugh2 wrote: »
    He missed a simple screen pass to James White at one stage.
    Looked to me that White was going to be tackled for a loss if he caught it. Brady through it at his feet for that reason. Seen that happen plenty of time this season, on a screen call it's only a single receiver option and if it's not on, Brady will just through it at their feet (Belichick has covered it before in post game conferences).

Am i right in saying that there was only 1 play run inside the Redzone for either team? Michel's 2 yard TD run. Bit of a wild stat for any game.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,200 ✭✭✭troyzer

troyzer wrote: »
    I didn't bother watching it live in the end and just watched it there.

It was awful.

dont know what you watched - but it was immense.

I assume you're a Pats fan. It wasn't a good spectacle for a neutral. Fair ****s to the Pats for putting on a masterclass of how to suffocate a team. But the Rams were nearly as suffocating.

Defensive slugfests can and often are interesting but this one wasn't.

I assume you're a Pats fan. It wasn't a good spectacle for a neutral. Fair ****s to the Pats for putting on a masterclass of how to suffocate a team. But the Rams were nearly as suffocating.

Id agree with that. As a spectacle it was a poor game. It doesnt really matter if you are the Pats which is fair enough.

But it was a completely uninteresting game. Especially when the Rams didnt ever look like scoring. Pretty glad i went to bed at half time. Shout out to Maroon 5 for convincing me to turn off the TV.

Id agree with that. As a spectacle it was a poor game. It doesnt really matter if you are the Pats which is fair enough.

But it was a completely uninteresting game. Especially when the Rams didnt ever look like scoring. Pretty glad i went to bed at half time. Shout out to Maroon 5 for convincing me to turn off the TV.

So it's a poor spectacle and uninteresting but when I said that you disagreed and said it was immense? But now you're agreeing with me?

Talk about mixed signals.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,150 ✭✭✭✭LuckyGent88

Can see why some people wouldn’t have enjoyed the game. There wasn’t a big amount of exciting big plays, great catches or scores.
    But you have to appreciate how good the coaching of both defenses was. Masterclass on both teams really.

Mad that it was our largest margin of victory in a SB and we only scored 13 points. Given Brady played brilliantly last year only to lose, I’m sure he is happy to play poor enough but get the win now.

Once again, another very interesting off season ahead.

So it's a poor spectacle and uninteresting but when I said that you disagreed and said it was immense? But now you're agreeing with me?

You must be mixing me up with my alter ego. PhuchHugh.
    I am PhuckHugh2

• Advertisement

You must be mixing me up with my alter ego. PhuchHugh.
    I am PhuckHugh2

For **** sake

Advertisement