If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dolby Atmos upgrade help

Options
  • 21-01-2019 6:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭

Hello, I upgraded the video side of my home system to 4K last year with an LG OLED and a 4K Bluray player and I am now looking into upgrading my current, 10 year old, Onkyo 5.1 TrueHD system. I would like to get a system that can do Atmos and DTX:X preferably with front and rear up firing, 5.1.4 upwards, and I am undecided whether to get an all in one Atmos soundbar like the N950 or a separate AVR + speakers. I could not find any speaker packages that did front and rear up firing. The closest I could find was the  Onkyo SKSHT588 which only has front upfiring. Can you advise please? 

Also can you advise what speaker stands would be needed with each suggestion, such as for the rear N950 speakers.

FYI I was going to buy the N950 as I saw it was reduced to €1400 but I could not order it online. I could only ring to order.

Thanks

Comments

• Company Representative Posts: 17,277 ✭✭✭✭Richersounds.ie: Kenny

brimur69 wrote: »
    Hello, I upgraded the video side of my home system to 4K last year with an LG OLED and a 4K Bluray player and I am now looking into upgrading my current, 10 year old, Onkyo 5.1 TrueHD system. I would like to get a system that can do Atmos and DTX:X preferably with front and rear up firing, 5.1.4 upwards, and I am undecided whether to get an all in one Atmos soundbar like the N950 or a separate AVR + speakers. I could not find any speaker packages that did front and rear up firing. The closest I could find was the  Onkyo SKSHT588 which only has front upfiring. Can you advise please? 

Also can you advise what speaker stands would be needed with each suggestion, such as for the rear N950 speakers.

FYI I was going to buy the N950 as I saw it was reduced to €1400 but I could not order it online. I could only ring to order.

Thanks
    Hi brimur69,

Apologies for the delay getting back to you! I'm actually showing none of the Samsung HWN950 in our main warehouse at the moment so I am just waiting for an ETA on stock becoming available again.

The HWN950 is the only unit which has upfiring rear speakers as well as upfiring speakers in the main soundbar. To do this in an AV and speaker set up you would need to add on a set of additional upfiring speakers to the rear channel and the amplifier would need to be capable of 5.1.4. In my opinion an AV system would give the best sound quality as it has better separation and more drive. If I were to recommend a system I would recommend the Onkyo TXRZ730 at £749 with the Focal Sib Evo 5.1.2 pack at £699. You would then need to add a second set of Atmos speakers for the rear.

Let me know if you would be interested in a set up like this.

Kind regards

David

• Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭brimur69

Thanks Kenny, can you let me know if/when you are getting the N950 back in. That seems to better suit my needs.

Out of curiosity, I looked up the Sip Evo and saw you can buy the two Dolby Atmos speakers separately.
    https://www.focal.com/en/home-audio/home-theater/sib-evo/miniature-speakers/sib-evo-dolby-atmos-20

Do you guys stock those? So if I got the speaker package and the receiver you mentioned and also got the and two seperates above then I could swap the rears for the dolby atmos and get 5.1.4?

Thanks

Thanks Kenny, can you let me know if/when you are getting the N950 back in. That seems to better suit my needs.

Out of curiosity, I looked up the Sip Evo and saw you can buy the two Dolby Atmos speakers separately.
    https://www.focal.com/en/home-audio/home-theater/sib-evo/miniature-speakers/sib-evo-dolby-atmos-20

Do you guys stock those? So if I got the speaker package and the receiver you mentioned and also got the and two seperates above then I could swap the rears for the dolby atmos and get 5.1.4?

Thanks
    Hi brimur69,

That would definitely work although I would have to check with our purchasing department to see if we can special order these speakers in as they are not a regular stock item for us.

I will also keep an eye out for the N950.

Kind regards

David

No news on the N950? Have RS stopped stocking them completely? Any idea where I might get one now? 

• Company Representative Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭Richersounds.ie: John

Hi brimur69,

we do still list the HWN950 - its a super unit although stocks are always hand to mouth on them - they are super popular.

We do have them listed on our website:
    £:
    https://www.richersounds.ie/p-203565-samsung-hwn950-cinematic-7-1-4-channel-soundbar-system-with-dolby-atmos.aspx?swapstore=1

€:
    https://euro.richersounds.ie/p-203565-samsung-hwn950-cinematic-7-1-4-channel-soundbar-system-with-dolby-atmos.aspx?swapstore=1

And we also have a few available in stock for shipping at the moment - we can do a Boardie price of £1299 / €1499 on the N950 for you if you would like to grab one.

If you would like to purchase one just pop me a line and I'll give you a personalised Boardie voucher code to allow you to purchase online at the reduced pricing,

Thanks again and don't hesitate to drop me a line if we can assist in any way,

ATVB,

John Mc & Crew

John McDonald / Managing Director / Richer Sounds Ireland / www.richersounds.ie / johnmc@richersounds.ie

• Advertisement

Thanks John, I emailed you yesterday and CC'd sales but have not heard back yet. Email address is similar to my name on here.

Thanks John, I emailed you yesterday and CC'd sales but have not heard back yet. Email address is similar to my name on here.
    Hi Brimur69.

John has been in and out of his office and has been out on sites over the last few weeks.

I have replied to your email as he is not in his office today. I hope this is ok?

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.