Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ryan Adams Olympia Sun 31st March 2019

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭AnnaSophia

• Registered Users Posts: 25,449 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

AnnaSophia wrote: »

That’s some pretty shocking reading right there. I would have always had him pegged as somewhat of an oddball eccentric type yet musical genius but fûck, if that shît is true then he will have graced my ears as a musical whatever for the last time.

Ewwww. Ryan!!! La Cienga, one of my all time top 10 comfort songs ruined for ever for me.
    The Mandy Moore fallout was pretty bad though - was really pleased for her when she seemed to move on head held high and found renewed success and happiness.

Never would have imagined though - like Strumms thought he was just a bit of an out there oddball genius type. Some great gigs (not true live amazer/performer but so musical) - Stadium in Dublin way back, Paris round then too - like 2007 ish? Olympia too just a few years back. Really surprised - hope not true but not looking great tbh. NY Times will have done their homework on this I'm pretty sure

Ah for fúck sake.

I was more than happy being a fan of his music when I believed that he was a bit of a prick. Him being a bit of a predator or much worse is a different story altogether. That's what you call a deal-breaker.

Even Jason Isbell is tweeting that he believes the allegations. It's not looking great for Ryan.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,980 ✭✭✭Ricosruffneck

Happy Valentines day!

• Advertisement

You know who won't pull this kinda sh*t. John Mayer!

Between Ryan and Justin Vernon I thought one of them was gonna be revealed.

Usually those that are overly vocal about social issues generally have something going on themselves of a dark nature.

But not my boy John Mayer!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,014 ✭✭✭Wooderson

You know who won't pull this kinda sh*t. John Mayer!

Between Ryan and Justin Vernon I thought one of them was gonna be revealed.

Usually those that are overly vocal about social issues generally have something going on themselves of a dark nature.

But not my boy John Mayer!

Wtf

Wooderson wrote: »
    Wtf

All I'm saying is continuum is a great album.

John's got some sweet solos. Melts hearts faster than jet fuel melts steel.

Check that out! ;)

I think it’s such a well written and researched article because I don’t doubt it for one second. Absolutely gutted. The 14 year old girl stuff is just... horrendous.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,908 ✭✭✭✭Basq

He's always been rumoured to be an absolute asshole..

.. but I didn't expect this!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,453 ✭✭✭EyesClosed

Just read the article there, that's not great news. I've read before that he's an asshole, but that is some pretty nasty stuff.

I think it’s such a well written and researched article because I don’t doubt it for one second. Absolutely gutted. The 14 year old girl stuff is just... horrendous.

He killed her dream. Aside from hurting her in the present he's pretty much killed of a prospective future.

'for Ava, the idea that she would be objectified or have to sleep with people to get ahead “just totally put me off to the whole idea” of being a musician, she said. She never played another gig.'

Just very sad that he managed/attempted to do this to a couple of people. There may be others whos stories haven't been heard.

Stopped following him on social media before the release of his last album.

Guy is angry and unhinged, didn't want to see his daily meltdowns as I wanted to remember 'heartbreaker' era Ryan.

You should check out the lyrics to Phoebe bridgers song 'Motion Sickness' , there's a paticular lyric that sticks out.

Internet people are theorizing this is about Ryan.

He killed her dream. Aside from hurting her in the present he's pretty much killed of a prospective future.

'for Ava, the idea that she would be objectified or have to sleep with people to get ahead “just totally put me off to the whole idea” of being a musician, she said. She never played another gig.'

Just very sad that he managed/attempted to do this to a couple of people. There may be others whos stories haven't been heard.

Stopped following him on social media before the release of his last album.

Guy is angry and unhinged, didn't want to see his daily meltdowns as I wanted to remember 'heartbreaker' era Ryan.

Yeah it’s just too much for me to separate from the music now.

Yeah it’s just too much for me to separate from the music now.

yep. same

• Registered Users Posts: 32,802 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

A lot of disturbing content in that article, tbh I am glad I didnt get tickets for his gig this time, it is tainted.

Fairplay to all of the woman involved for speaking out.

You should check out the lyrics to Phoebe bridgers song 'Motion Sickness' , there's a paticular lyric that sticks out.

I adore her and saw her live, I think you might have a point.....it sounds like it could be about him.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,539 ✭✭✭ghostdancer

pretty sure Bridgers confirmed Motion Sickness was about him.

e:
    ...Motion Sickness revealed the precocity of her songwriting. The standout single from Stranger in the Alps, it has amassed more than half-a-million views on YouTube and is an exquisite evisceration of a former lover. “I faked it every time,” she sings, before landing another blow to the solar plexus: “And why do you sing with an English accent?/ I guess it’s too late to change it now.”

The song, she tells me, is about the Grammy-nominated singer-songwriter Ryan Adams, whom she met in 2015. “A mutual friend in LA was like, ‘Ryan would like you’. He really was just trying to get me recording and trying to get Ryan to hear me, but Ryan was like, ‘Let me see a picture of her’.” Bridgers says that she and Adams “ended up hanging out all night and recording a song together called Killer. Then, a couple of weeks later, he was suddenly trying to hook up with me. I was super-down and had just broken up with my high-school boyfriend. We slept together on his 40th birthday and I’d just turned 20.”

She wrote Motion Sickness after they broke up. What did he think of it? “We were back on good terms by then but after I sent him the song he didn’t talk to me for 24 hours. Then he sent me a sweet text saying ‘it’s a great song’,” she says. “Yes, interesting character…”

Natalie Prass's "Lost" is also supposedly about him:
    That one goes with the Me Too movement. I really didn’t want that song to be on the record. I didn’t want to give the person it’s about any kind of ammo against me. The Me Too movement has been really hard on me, personally, because it’s really painful to remember things that have happened to you—but I’m so grateful for it at the same time. Now there’s all this language, there’s all this support, when you just felt like you were so alone … People were like, ‘You just have to deal with it and move on.’ Which, yeah, you have to move on. You can’t live your life in pain like that. It’s nice to know there’s brave women out there and they’re telling their stories. I’m a pretty private person, but I think it’s important to have solidarity with people who have had experiences like myself.

I’ve written to Ticketmaster to ask if I can cancel my tickets for the 31st, but not holding out much hope.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

There's more high profile women he's been involved with - I wonder if more is to come out?

I guess many musicians in power may dangle those opportunities to naive young artists, but the underage bit is the real bit that is likely to drive fans away.
    Either way, his asshole persona is fuelled further.

He was my music idol back in the day so this is hard to take.

• Advertisement

whiskeyman wrote: »
    There's more high profile women he's been involved with - I wonder if more is to come out?

I guess many musicians in power may dangle those opportunities to naive young artists, but the underage bit is the real bit that is likely to drive fans away.

Username checks out.

I see people are trying to offload tickets on Toutless now.

Caught him in the last tour, to be honest if his new song 'colours' was any good i'd prob have bought tickets for this one.

Thankfully for me the song was pretty bad.

I would think so tbh.

It is pretty disturbing, but the 14yo girl is especially horrible.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,556 ✭✭✭✭OwaynOTT

Username checks out.

I see people are trying to offload tickets on Toutless now.

Caught him in the last tour, to be honest if his new song 'colours' was any good i'd prob have bought tickets for this one.

Thankfully for me the song was pretty bad.

When was the article published? I only see one person trying to offload a ticket, all others are from last week and before.

Glad I didn't get tickets now either.

Hard to imagine Ticketmaster taking tickets back. Any chance he'll cancel tour?

Think Dublin is the kick-off on the way to London. Guardian picked up the story this morning so there may be serious fallout today.

Hope he cancels and we get refunds.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,081 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

Madly I only heard that song last week for the first time because Spotify kept playing after SVE finished. It's class, as is she.

Yeah, I got the notification from the NYT last night, only managed to read the article when I got home. It was way more graphic and vile than I thought it would be or "hoped", for want of a better phrase.

Listening to Rock N Roll now... Goddam.

Hopefully the Olympia gigs are cancelled because that will be a tough tough night out for all concerned.

Huge fan of his. The twitter apology wasnt great was it?

Folllowing graph from the NYT I find unnecessarily ambiguous however.
    In the texts, Adams questioned Ava repeatedly about her age, and sometimes she said she was older than she was. Though he did not seem convinced, their sexual conversations continued. “i would get in trouble if someone knew we talked like this,” Adams wrote to her in November 2014.

Those 3 elements together don't make any sense - what am I missing?

Notwithstanding finding the other material (treating women like trash) horrible to read, the stuff with this kid is particularly disturbing.

The record(s) could be pulled and the tour cancelled. He was spouting awful shyte on twitter in the past 72 hours about the shows also.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,908 ✭✭✭✭Basq

As I've said elsewhere.. if there's any good to come from this horrible HORRIBLE story.. it's that Phoebe Bridgers might get the recognition she deserves. Strangers In The Alps is an absolutely incredible debut album!

And Better Oblivion Community Center, her side project with Conor Oberst, is mighty good too!

Basq wrote: »
    As I've said elsewhere.. if there's any good to come from this horrible HORRIBLE story.. it's that Phoebe Bridgers might get the recognition she deserves. Strangers In The Alps is an absolutely incredible debut album!

And Better Oblivion Community Center, her side project with Conor Oberst, is mighty good too!
    I agree Phoebe Bridgers is immensely talented.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

Wooderson wrote: »

The record(s) could be pulled and the tour cancelled. He was spouting awful shyte on twitter in the past 72 hours about the shows also.

He's on his own label though - so isn't it his call?

Would some of the venues make a stand? Might there be a protest nearer the time if the story gathers traction?
    That said, no charges pressed yet. Will there be I wonder?

So weird taking this in. I met the guy years ago after one of his Dublin gigs, and he seemed v sweet. 'Troubled genius' however is no excuse for what he is alleged to have done. Such a shame his music is now tainted regardless, to me anyway.

• Advertisement

He's on his own label though - so isn't it his call?

Would some of the venues make a stand? Might there be a protest nearer the time if the story gathers traction?

I don’t think he can continue on like nothing has happened or that his fakepology was sufficient.

Advertisement