Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Oranmore train station car parking

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,967 ✭✭✭what_traffic

This problem was foreseen before the station was built but they decided to do nothing about it

Other option is to start charging for parking so additional parking services like this can be added?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,470 ✭✭✭Whereisgalway

At that point it was a risk, not a problem. If they'd built a multi-story carpark, there would have been a risk of it being vastly underused, and a waste of money.

Been conservative and covering ones backside is one of the reasons the city is gridlocked

Been conservative and covering ones backside is one of the reasons the city is gridlocked

There's no votes in being proactive

There's no votes in being proactive

True.
    Obvious place to start would be a shuttle bus from station to Oranmore village.
    On average have about 13/14 services from Galway Ceannt to Oranmore and vice-versa.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,095 ✭✭✭LadyMayBelle

Best course of action when people park right on and over the accessible path-road crossings? Drives me nuts... especially do when there is space (which happens!). It's downright ignorant and lazy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Best course of action when people park right on and over the accessible path-road crossings?
    Post pics here Read the rules in the OP first.

Other option is to start charging for parking so additional parking services like this can be added?

https://connachttribune.ie/council-considers-charging-for-train-station-carpark-500/
    "
    Pay parking could be coming down the track for spaces at Oranmore train station – with County Council officials warning that the introduction of a charge may be the only way to fund additional spaces at the frequently over-subscribed car park.
    "

• Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭gordongekko

https://connachttribune.ie/council-considers-charging-for-train-station-carpark-500/
    "
    Pay parking could be coming down the track for spaces at Oranmore train station – with County Council officials warning that the introduction of a charge may be the only way to fund additional spaces at the frequently over-subscribed car park.
    "
    What's it got to do with the council. Surely Irish rail own the car park?

What's it got to do with the council. Surely Irish rail own the car park?
    Strange one alright but it is actually Galway County Council that are the proud owners. I don't know the back story why that is.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,470 ✭✭✭Whereisgalway

Strange one alright but it is actually Galway County Council that are the proud owners. I don't know the back story why that is.

When they price people off the train & irish rail loose tickets will they drop the service

• Advertisement

When they price people off the train & irish rail loose tickets will they drop the service

All depends on the old Supply and Demand. Other logical option of course is to encourage people to get to Oranmore station using different methods. Can they improve the Walking and Cycling experience of getting to and from the Station from Oranmore. Bus services to and from the Station?

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭Don Juan II

Can they improve the Walking and Cycling experience of getting to and from the Station from Oranmore.

There are plans for a cycle path from the village to the station.
    https://galwaybayfm.ie/galway-bay-fm-news-desk/major-investment-into-oranmores-cycle-and-pathway-infrastructure/

At the moment, there isn't even street lighting all the way from the village to the station. In winter, the path is very dark

At the moment, there isn't even street lighting all the way from the village to the station. In winter, the path is very dark
    Ya providing street lights would be a good first step.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,591 ✭✭✭Laviski

have said in another thread,

Oranmore 410 should be servicing this station.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,945 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Ye are all assuming that the majority of people who use Oranmore station actually live in Oranmore village.

I think that is unlikely: most are probably living in rural house, not within walking distance or within safe cycling pathways of the station. Abd some will be the bus-service refuses from Oranhill

People who live in the village already have access to the 404 bus, which goes to useful places that the train doesn't, eg GMIT, Galway Clinic, NUIG.

Ye are all assuming that the majority of people who use Oranmore station actually live in Oranmore village.
    Your assuming that we are all assuming.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,272 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kingp35

I think that is unlikely: most are probably living in rural house, not within walking distance or within safe cycling pathways of the station. Abd some will be the bus-service refuses from Oranhill

People who live in the village already have access to the 404 bus, which goes to useful places that the train doesn't, eg GMIT, Galway Clinic, NUIG.

I'm not sure what your point is here? Even if the majority are from more rural areas, a good footpath with adequate lighting is the absolute minimum that should be in place from the village to the train station. Also we should be trying to get people out of their cars so a good cycle path is a great idea.

Kingp35 wrote: »
    I'm not sure what your point is here? Even if the majority are from more rural areas, a good footpath with adequate lighting is the absolute minimum that should be in place from the village to the train station. Also we should be trying to get people out of their cars so a good cycle path is a great idea.

Agree there should be a footpath and lighting, on principle.

But it's a red herring for most from the village, because it's is well-served by the bus. (Agreed the frequency could double what it is currently - am sure that will come as usage grows.) It's too far for most to walk. And if people cycle that far, they may as well cycle in to town. So better to put the resources into cycle paths overall.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,272 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kingp35

Agree there should be a footpath and lighting, on principle.

But it's a red herring for most from the village, because it's is well-served by the bus. (Agreed the frequency could double what it is currently - am sure that will come as usage grows.) It's too far for most to walk. And if people cycle that far, they may as well cycle in to town. So better to put the resources into cycle paths overall.

The train doesn't just go to Galway City. People would also be commuting in the other direction. I live in the village and travel to Dublin a lot (I'm a Dub!) and I always walk or cycle to the train station. The coast road badly needs a decent cycle track and good lights. I don't see the point in having a train station if the infrastructure to get there isn't up to scratch.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,224 ✭✭✭bobbyss

Kingp35 wrote:
    The train doesn't just go to Galway City. People would also be commuting in the other direction. I live in the village and travel to Dublin a lot (I'm a Dub!) and I always walk or cycle to the train station. The coast road badly needs a decent cycle track and good lights. I don't see the point in having a train station if the infrastructure to get there isn't up to scratch.

Last time I was on that road it seemed to be in bad condition. Potholes and bumps. Any improvement?

• Advertisement

There are plans for a cycle path from the village to the station.
    https://galwaybayfm.ie/galway-bay-fm-news-desk/major-investment-into-oranmores-cycle-and-pathway-infrastructure/

I walk in the morn and eve, and most evenings I'm the only walker. It's pitch black. I've contacted Galway CoCo about it. There are about 6 streetlamps that are positioned so they could light some of the way, but they have never been in use afaik. I've nearly been run over by cyclists on the footpath coming behind me, so good to see a plan in place.

Time from Joyce's to the station on foot, is approx 17mins.

Would also LOVE to see every train to Dublin or Limerick stop, and into Galway. It's crazy that if I miss the 18:40 home the next isn't till 22:10.

Would also LOVE to see every train to Dublin or Limerick stop, and into Galway. It's crazy that if I miss the 18:40 home the next isn't till 22:10.

There's a bus every 30 mins, 7am - 11pm and it goes all the way to Joyce's.

There's a bus every 30 mins, 7am - 11pm and it goes all the way to Joyce's.

Yeah but the train takes 7-10mins so that's waaay handier and quicker than the bus commute 🀗 just the option, especially for those living closer to the station. My commute to work door to door is 20mins via train, via bus during the hours I work it's anything from 35-55 so I'll nab the train 🀗

• Registered Users Posts: 25,118 ✭✭✭✭zell12

I walk in the... Time from Joyce's to the station on foot, is approx 17mins.
    That close? Way people go on about it, you'd think it was triple that.

I think they should bring in minimal parking charges at the station.

zell12 wrote: »

I think they should bring in minimal parking charges at the station.

Im fairly consistent in pace, but yeah reckon your average walker would easy do it in 20mins.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,919 ✭✭✭Storm 10

That station should have been built near the level crossing it's too far out never made sense to me to build it where it is now

• Registered Users Posts: 5,224 ✭✭✭bobbyss

zell12 wrote:

Yea I thought it was longer than that. However if you have bags and stuff it's a non starter.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭flazio

Storm 10 wrote: »
    That station should have been built near the level crossing it's too far out never made sense to me to build it where it is now

Do you mean the level crossing beside the current station or the level crossing out by the Maldron hotel, because interestingly enough, that is exactly where the station used to be.
    Bit of a redundant location these days because of the big dual carriageway and busy roundabout cutting it off from Oranmore itself.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,176 ✭✭✭vinnycoyne

flazio wrote: »
    Do you mean the level crossing beside the current station or the level crossing out by the Maldron hotel, because interestingly enough, that is exactly where the station used to be.
    Bit of a redundant location these days because of the big dual carriageway and busy roundabout cutting it off from Oranmore itself.

Plus it’s only about 5 mins shorter of a walk from the village than the location of the current station.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,387 ✭✭✭xckjoo

flazio wrote: »

Was that a station at one stage? Only ever remember it as level crossing

Advertisement