Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gravel Bike Recommendation

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 356 ✭✭El Vino

As I posted earlier I went for the 105 equipped version of the Orbea Terra. I would have preferred the Rival version but I didn't think it should be £300 more - all the rest of the kit was the same. The Orbea website allows you to compare models and basically the only difference between the H31 and the H30 is the Groupset. This didn't seem like good value, especially as in the Carbon version the M30 and M31 are exactly the same price.

I think the Kona looks OK but will be heavier and is more similar to a drop bar MTB, I had a Kona Jake before and those Project 2 forks alone were pretty heavy. I wanted something I could have 2 sets of wheels for and use as a road bike with minimal compromise. Mine was an insurance replacement so I could only use one online retailer - Wheelies so choices were more limited but included the similarly named Orro Terra Gravel (this was my previous bike that was stolen) Specialized Diverge, Scott Speedster Gravel, Cube NuRoad, Bergamont Grandurance and various Giants & Marins.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,113 ✭✭✭mr spuckler

El Vino wrote: »
    As I posted earlier I went for the 105 equipped version of the Orbea Terra. I would have preferred the Rival version but I didn't think it should be £300 more - all the rest of the kit was the same. The Orbea website allows you to compare models and basically the only difference between the H31 and the H30 is the Groupset. This didn't seem like good value, especially as in the Carbon version the M30 and M31 are exactly the same price.

I think the Kona looks OK but will be heavier and is more similar to a drop bar MTB, I had a Kona Jake before and those Project 2 forks alone were pretty heavy. I wanted something I could have 2 sets of wheels for and use as a road bike with minimal compromise. Mine was an insurance replacement so I could only use one online retailer - Wheelies so choices were more limited but included the similarly named Orro Terra Gravel (this was my previous bike that was stolen) Specialized Diverge, Scott Speedster Gravel, Cube NuRoad, Bergamont Grandurance and various Giants & Marins.

I also had a Kona Jake before that I found very heavy so if they are the same forks I'd be very cautious alright.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,485 ✭✭✭Fighting Tao

Thank you for your insight. I need to lose fat of my body and theoretically it is easier and cheaper than losing weight off a bike! The Kona weighs 11.25kg in the 56cm size. Orbea don't release weights. Would you know the weight of the Orbea and size?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭Donie75

I have a rim brake Genesis Equilibrium that I built with 105 and handbuilt wheels as a winter bike. I think it a great bike.
    https://www.mycycle.ie/Genesis-Croix-de-Fer-30-2019-p/gna04.htm
    Something like a Genesis Croix De Fer would be worth looking at.

Thank you for your insight. I need to lose fat of my body and theoretically it is easier and cheaper than losing weight off a bike! The Kona weighs 11.25kg in the 56cm size. Orbea don't release weights. Would you know the weight of the Orbea and size?

I should have the 105 version in my hands by Friday or latest Monday in Medium which is the nearest to a 56cm so I will weigh it for you, My Orro Gravel with identical kit was 8.5 kg. I would be expecting the Orro to be 9.5kg at most. The 1x11 will be a little lighter again.

My point wasn't the weight exactly it is more what will the bike be used for, If I was bike packing off the beaten track and I wanted something bombproof I would pick the Kona. What I want is basically a nice fast commuter that I can fit mudguards to in the winter and other times ride on forestry tracks, boreens and canal paths without worrying about it. My old Orro was perfect for this but maxed out at 33mm tyre width. The Orbea takes 40mm which is basically 1.5 inches and what I used to stick on my mountain bike for winter back in the old days.

The Kona takes 47mm wide tyres on 650B this will make it almost as capable a rigid mountain bikes, looks very similar to the Vitus Substance. It will almost certainly allow you a wheel swap to 700c if you wanted to as other Rove models take this wheel size - please check though. Will update when bike arrives

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 487 ✭✭benneca1

fat bloke wrote: »
    What's the (besides marketing...) difference between a cycloross bike and a gravel bike?
    A gravel bike is designed to go more or less on any trail within reason and also be ok on the road while carrying sufficient kit for an overnight stop.

A CX bike on the other hand is designed to go round and round a muddy field and hop over small obstacles with scarcely a spare tube in your pocket.

I should have the 105 version in my hands by Friday or latest Monday in Medium which is the nearest to a 56cm so I will weigh it for you, My Orro Gravel with identical kit was 8.5 kg. I would be expecting the Orro to be 9.5kg at most. The 1x11 will be a little lighter again.

My point wasn't the weight exactly it is more what will the bike be used for, If I was bike packing off the beaten track and I wanted something bombproof I would pick the Kona. What I want is basically a nice fast commuter that I can fit mudguards to in the winter and other times ride on forestry tracks, boreens and canal paths without worrying about it. My old Orro was perfect for this but maxed out at 33mm tyre width. The Orbea takes 40mm which is basically 1.5 inches and what I used to stick on my mountain bike for winter back in the old days.

The Kona takes 47mm wide tyres on 650B this will make it almost as capable a rigid mountain bikes, looks very similar to the Vitus Substance. It will almost certainly allow you a wheel swap to 700c if you wanted to as other Rove models take this wheel size - please check though. Will update when bike arrives

The bit in bold sticks out to me. The bike would be mainly used on tarmac and just the usual standard bumpy roads. I do also plan to do some fire track / forest trails but nothing too taxing and therefore it does not need to be so bombproof.

I finally found the weight for the Orbea. It comes in at 9.5kg like you guessed.

Many thanks. I think you have helped me make up my mind. I have the option to take a carbon version of the Orbea for a 24 hour test. I think I'll do that soon and if I'm happy I'll place my order...unless someone throws a curveball.! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,616 ✭✭✭The Noble Nudge

https://shop.base2race.ie/products/orro-terra-c-5800-hydro-1

Very happy with this... :D
    32mm tyres as standard and takes up to 42mm but haven't tried it yet...
    Disc brakes...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,514 ✭✭✭OleRodrigo

I see Ribble have a new line of steel bikes, including gravel. Nice.

https://bit.ly/2FScDdc

https://shop.base2race.ie/products/orro-terra-c-5800-hydro-1

Very happy with this... :D
    32mm tyres as standard and takes up to 42mm but haven't tried it yet...
    Disc brakes...

Nice but way to expensive for me.

• Advertisement

OleRodrigo wrote: »

Can’t use the bike to work with Ribble.

• Registered Users Posts: 908 ✭✭✭coastwatch

..The bike would be mainly used on tarmac and just the usual standard bumpy roads. I do also plan to do some fire track / forest trails but nothing too taxing and therefore it does not need to be so bombproof.

If it's mainly for tarmac, I think I'd find a 1X gearing hard to like, it might look tidy, but lots of missing gears.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,586 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

OleRodrigo wrote: »
    hmm, quite similar spec to genesis but for about €500 cheaper.

coastwatch wrote: »
    If it's mainly for tarmac, I think I'd find a 1X gearing hard to like, it might look tidy, but lots of missing gears.

When I say tarmac it’s commuting just over 12km each day. I also take a group of people on hybrids out for 15-20km once a week. They’re much slower than I’d normally be so I’m not worried about speed. As for missing gears...I think I’d get used to it. The only up hill would probably be up to the trails and the gear ratios seem like they’d be of use there.

I already have a DR1 34/52; 11/34 for the fun tarmac stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,205 ✭✭✭a148pro

The bit in bold sticks out to me. The bike would be mainly used on tarmac and just the usual standard bumpy roads. I do also plan to do some fire track / forest trails but nothing too taxing and therefore it does not need to be so bombproof.

I finally found the weight for the Orbea. It comes in at 9.5kg like you guessed.

Many thanks. I think you have helped me make up my mind. I have the option to take a carbon version of the Orbea for a 24 hour test. I think I'll do that soon and if I'm happy I'll place my order...unless someone throws a curveball.! :D

I've ridden the kona sutra ltd a lot, maybe 100k and bought a diverge instead for similar reasons that you set out. Just wanted something a bit more nimble.

Kona is a superb bike though. And I was surprised how fast it went. And diverge ain't no road bike. You can probably test ride a kona out of moycullen if interested. But I think your analysis is probably correct. Kona for crossing afghanistan. Something lighter for doing easier ****.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,514 ✭✭✭OleRodrigo

hmm, quite similar spec to genesis but for about €500 cheaper.

Like Canyon, Genesis seem to have crept up a lot in recent years.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,586 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

yeah, i bought an equilibrium 20 disc off a boardsie two years ago; at the time the price for one in a B&M shop here was i think around €1800. now it's €2235; there have been a couple of changes in spec - brakes and chainset are better on the current model, but the wheels are now own brand rather than aksiums.

• Registered Users Posts: 240 ✭✭WAPAIC

Surly Midnight Special is worth a look although I suspect it's a bit expensive and heavy if that matters. Looks like a proper do it all type bike though. Frame only might be an option if you're prepared to build it up as you like it. A few shops around Ireland can get them in which means you can btw it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,616 ✭✭✭The Noble Nudge

Nice but way to expensive for me.

Get your haggling boots on lad...:cool:
    They also do a steel version..my original choice but red never came into stock...

https://shop.base2race.ie/products/orro-terra-gravel-road-105-candy-red-available-feb-2018

They are doing Genesis bikes too so might be worth visiting the shop itself.

Orbea Terra, the 105 equipped Al one arrived Friday. Slightly heavier than advertised 9.8 kg. There is a lot of weight in the wheels & tyres so I might swap them for a set of Hunt Gravel wheels I have already which will shed 600g straight off.

Nice looking bike after the compact framed Orro this seems like a big bike. Plenty of room for a frame bag for bike packing and should be stable off road. Also looks like you could fit a wider tyre than the 40mm fitted 42mm at least.

First commute tomorrow unless there is snow.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭cdaly_

Thanks for the recommendation but unfortunately CRC don’t accept the bike scheme vouchers.

Ask work will they pay direct please?

• Registered Users Posts: 942 ✭✭✭outfox

yeah, i bought an equilibrium 20 disc off a boardsie two years ago; at the time the price for one in a B&M shop here was i think around €1800. now it's €2235; there have been a couple of changes in spec - brakes and chainset are better on the current model, but the wheels are now own brand rather than aksiums.

Coincidentally, the replacement I bought for that Equilibrium was a gravel bike :pac: A Ridley X-trail carbon. Awesome machine.

Advertisement