Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2 deer calibres

Options
  • 21-01-2019 11:08pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 213 ✭✭

Does anyone know if the Gardai have allowed 2 deer calibres. I've a 243 but was going to trade a 223 for a 308 as well. I suppose I should ask the super but was wondering if anyone has 2 or more deer rifles? Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 243 ✭✭badshot

i have a 243 & 308
    traded in a 17hmr for the 308

• Registered Users Posts: 2,759 ✭✭✭cookimonster

Plenty of lads have multiple deer calibres.
    I've a .270 and .243....... I'll let you know how I get on with the new .30 cal project.

....PS I never asked the Super in advance, had all my reasons sorted, but never needed them, granted a sub in less then 2 weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭Damoeire33

.243 & .308 here also. Was never questions about why I needed both. I think its fairly common

Once you have valid reasons(if asked) I don't see any issue

• Registered Users Posts: 770 ✭✭✭Uinseann_16

Out of interest why are you trading the .223 for a 308?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 213 ✭✭270WIN

I dont want to keep 3 rifles. I was going to use the 243 for fox and fallow and the 308 for reds

• Advertisement

270WIN wrote: »
    I dont want to keep 3 rifles. I was going to use the 243 for fox and fallow and the 308 for reds

Perfect combo, but may I suggest, as you going the .30 cal route, you consider the 30-06, so when the opportunity arises you'll be equipped for European and African adventures...

.... and if you haven't one already stick a .22 / .17 in the cabinet and your good to go for anything from church mice up to TRex..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 213 ✭✭270WIN

Perfect combo, but may I suggest, as you going the .30 cal route, you consider the 30-06, so when the opportunity arises you'll be equipped for European and African adventures...

.... and if you haven't one already stick a .22 / .17 in the cabinet and your good to go for anything from church mice up to TRex..

My young lad has a 17hmr..I will never get to hunt in europe but i suppose you would never know!!

I'd keep the 223 as well but the cost or renewals takes its toll as well. (have 3 shotguns)

• Registered Users Posts: 770 ✭✭✭Uinseann_16

30-06 offers nothing over the .308 without reloading imo an extra 200ft/lb ish at the most for the sake of changing from short to long action and less variety of ammunition, id buy a .300 win mag before id go down the 30-06 route then at least your gaining a significant increase in energy down range

IMO the argument over long action versus short action rifles is based on myth. There are plenty of long action guns ( actually referred to as 'standard' action with magnum actions being the longest of the 5 actions) that are lighter in weight then some short actions. Stiffness or strength of the action is not a consideration in a hunting rig as is the cycle rate of the bolt.

Accuracy over sensible hunting ranges is again splitting hairs, with a lot of 308 fans delving into the past when 30-06 ammo was not as inherently accurate as the more modern 308, this field has been leveled with more modern ammo in both cartridges.

Of course the big seller for the 308 ( a fantastic round by the way) is it's adoption, however brief by the military, not to mention long range shooting competions. But remember my recommendation is for a hunting rig, not a rifle capable of hitting torso sized targets out beyound 500 yards or 10 inch 10 Ring at a 1000.

From what I've read, jumping case size to case size (short, long and magnum) doesn't really give you that much more practical hunting range but can in fact deliver a bullet of similar wieght or heavier onto target with more energy.

I will not argue the fact that 308 is widely available both to purchase and in various grain weight, but internationaly the '06 isn't that far behind, and it is here where the Springfield begins to shine. It is a calibre that will allow the hunter to pursue light game using 150 / 180 grain bullets all the way up to plains game in Africa using 200 grain, when required. Many European countries have lifted its restriction in regards to it being a military round.

The case capacity was designed to accomadate 220 gr bullets while the more modern 308 can be loaded with 200gr pills the case capacity is not there to give the shooter optimum performance from the over stuffed case.

The virtues of the 308 vs 30-06 is an old argument and both rounds have seen heavy competition from many a new kid on the block and still survive in strenght today. I purchased a .243 as my first deer rifle calibre and have had great success with it. As a duel purpose round it is great for foxing and will kill red deer ten times over, but knowing what I know now I would not be too quick to recommend it (nor would I dismiss it) and would recommend a .30cal to give you the versatility of both domestic and foreign use, you'll never know when that opportunity may present itself.

And heck if your going to get a .30 then go for the '06 with its near 'Magnum' clout without all the kick and expense.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,113 ✭✭✭Zxthinger

Good write up there. The only this that would put me off the 06 is the availability of ammo in Eire. I don't own one but anything that's in anyway different in Ireland can be difficult to feed. I have an opinion that they aren't too popular here.. that my opinion. ?!?!
    I personally have a hard-on for a 270win as it seems to provide versatility for Irish conditions and target species whilst it may be more popular here thus having a more constant flow of ammo sales.
    It might not offer the international hunter the same scope of game that the 30-06 can handle but there isn't all that much in the difference at least not on paper and again I'm talking similar bullet weights out to realistic shooting ranges.

• Advertisement

Oooooh the .270.....

I got one a couple of years back and I love it, the .243 complete with mod is gathering dust during the deer season.
    Now my one is an old girl from the '60s and comes complete with an integral muzzle break, so it won't be chopped in my time. You have to be careful when you fire it that there's no heavy cover near you are your ears will be fecked.

I hunt Sika and Fallow with the occasional Red thrown in over mixed grounds of farm, hills and woods and the little 130gr does it all.

This year was the first year to take a gun abroad and it handled Roe and Boar (high seat) no problem. If you watch the Aim Point promo vids on YouTube 'Wild Boar Fever' you'll see the venrable .270 been used (Franz Albrecht Öttingen-Spielberg uses a customized Sauer 202). The .270 is capable of handling all but the larger plains game animals.

I don't shoot enough foxs any more to warrant the .243 so I'll keep my old .270 (feather weight) stick a smaller period scope on her and take her for long vertical walks after elusive animals and trick out a 30-06 with moderator and 56mm glass for some of the more sedentary hunting I do.

A friend of mine recently bought a new 30-06 and we were tinkering around with it and I was very surprised to see it spit out various brands and grain weight of bullets to a very acceptable accuracy from the orginal zero. Handy for him if one dealer let's him down.

• Registered Users Posts: 205 ✭✭Heavy handed

Have a 243 and a 270. Was going to add a third in 7mm rem mag or 300 win mag.

Advertisement