Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Career has hit a wall

Options
  • 22-01-2019 2:24am
    Registered Users Posts: 32

Hi all,

I am a Secondary English and history teacher. Unfortunately, I haven't been able to gain a permanent position since qualifying in 2013. I have done endless subbing and maternity cover but it seems I'm going round in a circle.

I realise my subjects are oversubscribed( God, if I had known then etc..)

Can I get some advice?

Should I call it a day with regards Teaching? I love the job but not the groundhog day feeling of applying for jobs every summer (and throughout the year) and simply keeping someone else's seat warm.

I hoped to add Maths as an extra subject but it seems UL scrapped that course.

Appreciate any honest advice

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,586 ✭✭✭djemba djemba

Hi all,

I am a Secondary English and history teacher. Unfortunately, I haven't been able to gain a permanent position since qualifying in 2013. I have done endless subbing and maternity cover but it seems I'm going round in a circle.

Can I get some advice?

Should I call it a day with regards Teaching? I love the job but not the groundhog day feeling of applying for jobs every summer (and throughout the year) and simply keeping someone else's seat warm.

Have you thought about adding another qualification. I was in a similar situation as you never had my own hours since qualifying (another over subscribed subject) but started this course last year.

https://www.dcu.ie/courses/Postgraduate/institute_of_education/Professional-Certificate-Diploma-Special-and-Inclusive

• Registered Users Posts: 287 ✭✭CraftySue

If deciding on extra subject choose wisely, Irish is very much in demand, where SEN is often filled as a filler for subject teachers. Consider if the money spent on another subject might be better placed in studying for another career like a post grad in speech and language therapy or occupational therapy.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,632 ✭✭✭SligoBrewer

Hi all,

Can I get some advice?

Move abroad.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,382 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

Are you confining yourself to one area or are you willing to move anywhere?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,263 ✭✭✭SCOOP 64

just reading post, sorry op a bit off topic ,my son doing leaving cert ,strong points English and History, wants to study at UCD for same for teaching, should i tell him to think again?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭evolving_doors

SCOOP 64 wrote: »
    just reading post, sorry op a bit off topic ,my son doing leaving cert ,strong points English and History, wants to study at UCD for same for teaching, should i tell him to think again?

Depends on his circumstances. If hes happy to potentially live at home for another 15 years or so while doing a bit of sub work here and there (possibly no pay during weeks off/holidays).
    Then again he could get lucky.

English and history are very common combinations.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,632 ✭✭✭SligoBrewer

There's a million different jobs he'd be better doing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭gaiscioch

just reading post, sorry op a bit off topic ,my son doing leaving cert, strong points English and History, wants to study at UCD for same for teaching, should i tell him to think again?

Yes, very much so. Even 10 years ago English & History were by far the most oversubscribed combination on the Dip; I think there were 138 people doing that precise combination in my year in UCD. The only students who were collectively fooling themselves even more were the c. 60 students who chose the subject methodology of CSPE. Yes, it's possible he could find a job teaching them within a year or two of qualifying, but that would be the exception. Whatever chance one has of getting a CID/permanency with Irish, Home Economics or other in-demand subjects, History and English have too many people "following their heart" before they face up to basic supply and demand (and loads of teachers returning from the English system willing to accept inferior conditions) by adding on a more in-demand subject or, more likely, retraining in something else outside teaching.

Also, it's currently @ €12,000 to pay for the Masters in Education, formerly known as the HDip, and it takes two years on top of a 3 or 4-year degree which costs I don't know how much. Add at least (at least!) a few years on to that before he gets any sort of CID, and that's a very long road indeed. There are smarter ways to spend those years, and those tuition fees. The pension and salary are also significantly inferior now. Here's the salary scale. Just remember most teachers are coming out with only c. 40% of all their income above €35,300 (2019 figure, for a single person) as they pay a special 10% plus tax on top of everything known as the ASC (formerly the Pension Related Deduction) on top of the usual PAYE, USC AND PRSI.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,047 ✭✭✭Icsics

Yes you should, I agree with all the posters above. Long, expensive training combined with inferior salary scale & poor working conditions. Anything would be better than teaching

• Registered Users Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭gaiscioch

Hi all,

Can I get some advice?

Would you try one of the ICT Skills Conversion courses? Here's the search engine (I left the search blank, and 208 courses were returned). Definitely worth seeing what's available there.

Additionally, I regularly put in 'teach' in publicjobs.ie and "education" to see what's available outside classroom teaching. Also try "museum", and so forth.

Alternatives here as well. Also 36 Jobs for Former Teachers That Can Give You a Fresh Start. One of many similar threads on TES about alternative careers to teaching here.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,167 ✭✭✭Notorious

If you're thinking of adding to your teachable subjects I'd suggest looking at Springboard+ courses. I'm in the second year of a two year Software Development Hdip with DCU. I've been coding in schools for years, but now I'll be qualified to teach the new Leaving Cert programme.

The course has no fees and the only stipulation for Hdip courses is that you must already hold a degree.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,501 Mod ✭✭✭✭dory

Absolutely. Tell him to do one of the 4 year degrees that will also qualify him as a teacher, if he’s certain he wants to teach. English and History also have a huge time commitment for correcting. I don’t teach either , but I see my colleagues swamped with corrections.

So many better and easier ways to earn a living,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 94 ✭✭Snapgal

CraftySue wrote: »
    If deciding on extra subject choose wisely, Irish is very much in demand, where SEN is often filled as a filler for subject teachers. Consider if the money spent on another subject might be better placed in studying for another career like a post grad in speech and language therapy or occupational therapy.

I would seriously think about adding on Irish.It annoys me when I hear people say that you will walk into a job and get CiD.i left a permanent position teaching Irish and an MFL language both which can teach up to leaving cert honours over three years ago to try and get closer home.I have 15 years experience and over 10 years as an oral and written examiner in Irish.Between only offered job share contract and politics of who you know am still not permanent.I even commuted an hour last year from home.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 809 ✭✭✭Blaizes

Hi all,

Can I get some advice?

Really sorry to hear this op.Here are a few thoughts:

You could
    a. stay and hope for the best - by adding another subject and making yourself more employable ( in theory at least )
    b. move abroad and teach
    c. retrain as something else

a. is still a gamble as what subject should you add? IT would seem like a good option as it's now a LC subject or at least being rolled out anyway. The thing is the goal post keep changing what with the new JC and LC and what's hot now may not be down the line.Look at History for example and what is next in the firing line? Though new subjects are being added.

b. Go abroad make good money, get international teaching experience and perhaps do some online ed. post grad. to keep up skilled

c .Forget teaching and retrain.Do an apprenticeship (loads available at the moment in lots of different fields) do a Springboard course, go back to college full time and study something else.

I was like you rounds of maternity leaves and subbing till I had my own kids and then jacked it in.Am now back subbing and considered adding another subject but the thing is which one and would I be guaranteed work at the end. I've decided no it's not worth it. Everyone is different though but teaching no longer seems to be a safe bet, small hour Cid's, more and more expected of the teacher, two tier pay system, a lot of staff room/ school politics as people grapple over posts, job insecurity, more and more candidates being churned out of college etc. etc. It's a very challenging environment and being in that environment without any job security/ long term career prospects does not offer much reward and is definitely not good for anyone's confidence. It's simply draining.

Only you can decide but I really would start exploring all of the above options and try to figure something out.I'm subbing now but am going to retrain in another area and ditch the teaching.Explore all your options and put a plan in place.Life is short.This is what I think anyway.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,222 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

These sort of threads should be on the Hibernia and PME application pages.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,047 ✭✭✭Icsics

Blaizes wrote: »
    Really sorry to hear this op.Here are a few thoughts:

You could
    a. stay and hope for the best - by adding another subject and making yourself more employable ( in theory at least )
    b. move abroad and teach
    c. retrain as something else

a. is still a gamble as what subject should you add? IT would seem like a good option as it's now a LC subject or at least being rolled out anyway. The thing is the goal post keep changing what with the new JC and LC and what's hot now may not be down the line.Look at History for example and what is next in the firing line? Though new subjects are being added.

b. Go abroad make good money, get international teaching experience and perhaps do some online ed. post grad. to keep up skilled

c .Forget teaching and retrain.Do an apprenticeship (loads available at the moment in lots of different fields) do a Springboard course, go back to college full time and study something else.

I was like you rounds of maternity leaves and subbing till I had my own kids and then jacked it in.Am now back subbing and considered adding another subject but the thing is which one and would I be guaranteed work at the end. I've decided no it's not worth it. Everyone is different though but teaching no longer seems to be a safe bet, small hour Cid's, more and more expected of the teacher, two tier pay system, a lot of staff room/ school politics as people grapple over posts, job insecurity, more and more candidates being churned out of college etc. etc. It's a very challenging environment and being in that environment without any job security/ long term career prospects does not offer much reward and is definitely not good for anyone's confidence. It's simply draining.

Only you can decide but I really would start exploring all of the above options and try to figure something out.I'm subbing now but am going to retrain in another area and ditch the teaching.Explore all your options and put a plan in place.Life is short.This is what I think anyway.

Great advice there Blaizes

• Registered Users Posts: 6,925 ✭✭✭doc_17

All teaching courses should be offered as a concurrent course, all subjects I mean.

To the OP, are you looking for a job in a certain town or are you prepared to move?

Advertisement