Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Plane carrying Emeliano Sala (new Cardiff signing from Nantes) gone missing

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

That’s sad alright. I’d actually heard of him watching a bit of French football on BT.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

I hadn’t actually realised he’d left Nantes for Cardiff

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,467 ✭✭✭5star02707

sad stuff hopefully that isn't the case :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,847 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

monkey9 wrote: »
    That’s sad alright. I’d actually heard of him watching a bit of French football on BT.

Ya - we do Ligue 1 insights a lot in work and his name pops up every week.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 842 ✭✭✭- bo -

Been following this all morning. Watching him play week in week out the past 3-4 years.

There are conflicting reports between the British and French media over whether he was actually on board.

He was in Nantes yesterday saying goodbye to his team-mates and was due to fly yesterday evening, that's a definite.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,546 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

RTE just sent an alert that he was on the plane.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,404 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

5star02707 wrote: »
    sad stuff hopefully that isn't the case :(

“Agence France Presse say police sources have confirmed Emiliano Sala was on a plane which disappeared over the sea between Nantes and Cardiff on Monday night.”:(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,304 ✭✭✭✭Father Hernandez

Very sad and hopefully all will be found safe & sound.

If it was Sala onboard, do wonder why he was on a light aircraft rather than a private jet for their record transfer. Prob discussion for another day though.

Very sad and hopefully all will be found safe & sound.

If it was Sala onboard, do wonder why he was on a light aircraft rather than a private jet for their record transfer. Prob discussion for another day though.

Seeing this debated online as well.

A private plane is a private plane. A prop plane is no more less safe than a jet despite what many think.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 842 ✭✭✭- bo -

Reports that the French Civil Aviation Authority have confirmed that Sala was indeed on board :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,404 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

FR 24 -

"According to reports in media a Piper Malibu, yesterday evening, disappeared from radar over the English Channel.
    We have checked playback and can't find any traces of this flight.
    It was either flying too low to be tracked or had a very old transponder."

• Registered Users Posts: 950 ✭✭✭Tomw86

Its shockingingly sad.

He was probably on it as the quickest transport over the English Channel from Nantes - or maybe he owned it, reports only 2 people on board so that's likely.

What will happen with Cardiff now, I assume all clubs have insurance on players?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,949 ✭✭✭✭banie01

murpho999 wrote: »
    A prop plane is no more less safe than a jet despite what many think.

100% this.
    Further to the point, the plane in question a Piper Malibu is perfectly suitable for this type of travel.
    Any accident is of course unfortunate, but the safety standards in place for prop and turbo prop passenger carrying and charter aircraft are just as stringent as for jets with the same use.
    Here's hoping this is brought to a resolution quickly.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,385 ✭✭✭Nerdlingr

Awful news. His poor family, friends, teammates. Very sad. :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

murpho999 wrote: »
    Seeing this debated online as well.

A private plane is a private plane. A prop plane is no more less safe than a jet despite what many think.
    banie01 wrote: »
    100% this.
    Further to the point, the plane in question a Piper Malibu is perfectly suitable for this type of travel.
    Any accident is of course unfortunate, but the safety standards in place for prop and turbo prop passenger carrying and charter aircraft are just as stringent as for jets with the same use.
    Here's hoping this is brought to a resolution quickly.

This is not 100% true. The statistics say the exact opposite.

It has nothing to do with technology of prop vs jet but the pilot. A larger jet plane is more likely to be flown by a more experienced and talented pilot. The cream rises to the top in all careers and aviation is no different.

Crashes in in small private and commercial planes far, far, far outweight those from large commercial jets. 19 out of 20 aviation accidents occur in planes such as these for a reason.

The one saving grace is that both he and the pilot are more likely to survive a water landing in a small plane than a larger one. We can all hope that they'll be found.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

https://twitter.com/GFFN/status/1087691074875854848

"Channel Islands Air Search Chief Officer John Fitzgerald's interview with So Foot on Emiliano Sala's aircraft disappearance in full: "Personally, I think there is 0 chance they are alive now."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Stunned to hear this. Sala was having a standout season and I was eager to see how he was going to get on in the Premier League. I hope there's a positive outcome but what we're hearing doesn't sound good.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,661 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

Very sad news for all concerned.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,463 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

How old was that plane. Why was a 15m signing in such a plane. Crazy stuff
    R.I.P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,205 ✭✭✭Lucas Hood

R.I.P

It was the owner of Cardiffs plane i believe.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,797 Mod ✭✭✭✭artanevilla

R.I.P

Ah here, should he have been wrapped in bubble wrap and shipped in a box?

Ah here, should he have been wrapped in bubble wrap and shipped in a box?

From what I know the plane was designed in the late 70's, I can't imagine it's value was much, probably less that a weeks wage for a premiership footballer.

They are cheap, and have a habit of crashing

https://www.google.com/search?client=firefox-b&biw=1280&bih=869&tbm=isch&sa=1&ei=YiNHXMfJFaTjxgOox5XoAw&q=Piper+PA+46+crash&oq=Piper+PA+46+crash&gs_l=img.3..0j0i8i30.162959.164031..164528...0.0..0.70.309.5......0....1..gws-wiz-img.9F79nXjgS6o#imgrc=_

I wouldn't fly in one! I just think he deserved better.
    It's a sad situation for the family.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,797 Mod ✭✭✭✭artanevilla

From what I know the plane was designed in the late 70's, I can't imagine it's value was much, probably less that a weeks wage for a premiership footballer.

https://www.google.com/search?client=firefox-b&biw=1280&bih=869&tbm=isch&sa=1&ei=YiNHXMfJFaTjxgOox5XoAw&q=Piper+PA+46+crash&oq=Piper+PA+46+crash&gs_l=img.3..0j0i8i30.162959.164031..164528...0.0..0.70.309.5......0....1..gws-wiz-img.9F79nXjgS6o#imgrc=_

I wouldn't fly in one!

The Boeing 737 was designed in the 60s.

So footballers should only travel in transport that's worth more than their transfer fee? That rules out cars and some private jets, even some footballer would only be allowed travel in space shuttles by that logic.

Are they cheap? List price starts at over a million. If that's cheap I hate to think what you think of as expensive.

Can you show us your edvidence that they have a habit of crashing, that they are inherintly unsafe by design?

Some people wouldn't fly on the most advanced aircraft, yet will strap themselves into a metal box going 130km/h down a motorway.

I wouldn't fly in one! I just think he deserved better.
    It's a sad situation for the family.

Seriously, how do you know how old the aircraft is?

Designed in the 70s originally does not mean it's dangerous. It has been updated.

You don't know how old the aircraft is.

A new one costs millions.

Also, here's a website showing crashes involving these planes.

7 Crashes in 2018 and 2 fatalities.

Aviation Safety Wesbite

Not a lot when you think of how many flights they make.

Cars and buses are far more dangerous. Should players not travel in them?

It's a very sad situation that happens rarely. No need to stop people doing what they normally do. Weather was probably a factor too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,017 ✭✭✭sReq | uTeK

I do think the technology is sound in the plane, but have to agree with Kirby, the likelihood of getting a significantly more experienced pilot in a jet is greater considering its mostly, captain (very experienced) first officer (moderately experienced) the rigorous testing yearly by most airlines.

Anyway, all that is irrelevant right now. Very sad end to a promising career. Although I do hope they're found safe and well.

Hardly time for a debate, but even an an expert on Sky just now said
    '' a single engine small aircraft at night over water, it's taking a lot of risk, not ideal at all'
    Fact it was a Malibu model means it's pretty old, only the old ones were called Malibu, and they have a poor accident record.

'' a single engine small aircraft at night over water, it's taking a lot of risk, not ideal at all'
    Fact it was a Malibu model means it's pretty old, only the old ones were called Malibu, and they have a poor accident record.

Is 2015 "pretty old"?

So an "expert" on Sky is now deeming a plane unsafe.

Ok so.

Just completely ignore the evidence I sent you about how few of the planes have crashed.

Sources have informed Ouest-France that the plane now missing that had Emiliano Sala on board had difficulties in taking off from Nantes airport & had to attempt the procedure 3 or 4 times before successfully ending up in the air
    "After coming to Nantes this weekend on the same plane, Sala came to say goodbye to his former teammates and had lunch with them, giving a speech to them afterwards. After a troublesome first flight, he told his friend and ex-teammate Nicolas Pallois, who brought him to the airport for his return flight, that he had concerns about the safety of the flight"

The more information that comes out about this, the worse it looks.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,421 ✭✭✭major bill

Doesn’t make for good reading regarding the safety of the plane! Can’t see anything but bad news now with regards the search! Poor lad

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 87,616 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

major bill wrote: »
    Doesn’t make for good reading regarding the safety of the plane! Can’t see anything but bad news now with regards the search! Poor lad

Yes not looking good this late :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,719 ✭✭✭✭thebaz

what terrible news - memories to the Leicester crash (Cardiff played Leicester after ther crash and therr seamed that football bond) - life can be fragile - was looking forward to see what he might do at Cardiff -

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

thebaz wrote: »
    what terrible news - memories to the Leicester crash (Cardiff played Leicester after ther crash and therr seamed that football bond) - life can be fragile - was looking forward to see what he might do at Cardiff -

It occurred to me earlier that Ranieri has a connection to both clubs. He was Sala's manager last season and had a good relationship with the Leicester chairman.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,399 ✭✭✭xtal191

Poor translation

• Advertisement

https://twitter.com/adamcrafton_/status/1087852193410174977?s=21

Awful. So, so sad.

He was probably on such a high earlier in the day having secured a dream move to the Premier League.

Life can change in an instant. :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,152 ✭✭✭✭KERSPLAT!

I really hope those quotes aren't accurate.

RIP.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,966 ✭✭✭Liamalone

KERSPLAT! wrote: »
    I really hope those quotes aren't accurate.

RIP.

They are :( SSN just played the voicemail. Awful to listen to.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,216 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

It's moved from rescue to recovery now, so they've pretty much given up any hope of finding him them alive.

His family apparently asked that the audio not be shared, so broadcasters shouldn't be playing it.

Posts from a dedicated professional pilot forum don't make good reading. They're outraged about the pilots credentials and ability to be flying such a plane.

https://www.pprune.org/accidents-close-calls/617514-cardiff-city-footballer-feared-missing-after-aircraft-disappeared-near-channel-island-9.html
    Just put the fact that Mr Sala was a £15m signing to one side for a moment, I wonder who on this board would allow a loved one to fly across the channel in an unknown 35 year old single-engine piston a/c, in winter, at night with no mode c using the services of a part-time pilot?

Once again, the innocence and lack of knowledge of the non-flying public puts them at risk.

From The Sun:
    Facebook posts shared before the flight departed on Monday night show Mr Ibbotson talking about being 'a bit rusty with the ILS (Instrument Landing System)'.

He tagged himself at Nantes Airport on Saturday before replying to comments about the flight on Sunday.

The pilot wrote: "Was not to (sic) bad when I got there but I'm a bit rusty with the ils, in France now."

A friend replied: "Rusty with the ILS?! I can't believe that!"

Mr Ibbotson added: "You wanna bet, a little on the high side hehe, better than on the low side."

Sala sent audio messages about the "bumpy ride" he was having as the plane hit bad weather near Guernsey on Monday.

It lost contact near the Casquets lighthouse and vanished at 2,300ft at 8.30pm.

Cardiff City chairman Mehmet Dalman said Sala had "made his own arrangements" to make the trip from Nantes, where he had played before agreeing his switch to the Premier League.

The aircraft is being widely reported by numerous outlets, including The Times, as owned by agent Willie McKay.

The pilot, a gas engineer and part-time pilot experienced in carrying parachuting enthusiasts who admitted he was "rusty" with the landing equipment.

Ugh.

• Advertisement

I'd rather be rusty with ILS than anything else tbh. I doubt that it has any factor in this case.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,328 ✭✭✭Ardent

Poor poor guy. Why didn't he just take a few more hours out of his weekend and fly first class on a commercial flight.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,534 Mod ✭✭✭✭Amirani

Ardent wrote: »
    Poor poor guy. Why didn't he just take a few more hours out of his weekend and fly first class on a commercial flight.

Easy to say in hindsight. It's actually pretty difficult to get from Nantes to South Wales. You're either looking at flying Nantes > London and driving for hours to get to Cardiff, or driving hours to Paris and flying to Cardiff/Bristol, or potentially doing 2 flights.

All the above seem ridiculous when you have no reason to doubt the safety credibility of the aircraft or pilot.

I'd rather be rusty with ILS than anything else tbh. I doubt that it has any factor in this case.

I've been up in the air with pilots with over 1000 hours that I wouldn't trust to fly anything else but the model they trained on. If you spend enough time around instructors they will tell you the same. Quotes like the from the pilot do not surprise me in the least.

I'm repeating myself from earlier in the thread but not all pilots are created equal. The sad truth is that if he had spent a few more hours and flown first class on Air France, we wouldn't be having this conversation.

Cardiff City spokesperson quoted as saying the following,

"I can say to you categorically that the plane had nothing to do with Cardiff City.
    "We were not involved in booking the plane. In fact, we are trying to ascertain ourselves exactly what did happen. The club is looking into the matter and we want to find answers too."
    He also said: "We spoke to the player and asked him if he wanted us to make arrangements for his flight which, quite frankly, would have been commercial.
    "I can't tell you who arranged the flight because I don't know at this stage - but it certainly wasn't Cardiff City."

I find this a frankly odd thing to say publicly. Obviously people are accusing them of something?

What a mess.

• Registered Users Posts: 367 ✭✭letsgo2018

Kirby wrote: »
    I've been up in the air with pilots with over 1000 hours that I wouldn't trust to fly anything else but the model they trained on. If you spend enough time around instructors they will tell you the same. Quotes like the from the pilot do not surprise me in the least.

I'm repeating myself from earlier in the thread but not all pilots are created equal. The sad truth is that if he had spent a few more hours and flown first class on Air France, we wouldn't be having this conversation.

I know you can't be 100% safe when flying but I wouldn't even fly with air France
    Always go Emirates when I can

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,044 ✭✭✭steve_r

Lovely gesture from the Cardiff fans

[url]qg94wutr1gc21.jpg[/url]

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,719 ✭✭✭✭thebaz

The search for Sala has been called off - I find this report by the BBC puzzling , looks like original pilot was not used . Just feal so sorry for the pair, cruel end to lifes of such promise.

https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/47013474

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭marklazarcovic

Is it true kante is funding a search as they knew each other?

• Advertisement
Advertisement