Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

End of life phone what would you do?

Options
  • 22-01-2019 11:03am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,083 ✭✭✭

Is it safe to pass on an old phone for parts? The phone is broken won't turn on, not economical to repair. Icant wipe it so I thought it would be a good thing to recycle or reuse it by passing it on for parts. Now I'm not so sure because obviously there's loads of pictures etc on it and I won't know what will become of the information. What would you do?

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

What kind of phone is it? Did it have a PIN code to lock it before it died?

e.g. You won't get any personal data off an iPhone without a PIN, no matter what you do to the drive.

• Registered Users Posts: 816 ✭✭✭Gazzmonkey

Dades wrote: »
    What kind of phone is it? Did it have a PIN code to lock it before it died?

e.g. You won't get any personal data off an iPhone without a PIN, no matter what you do to the drive.

The FBI have successfully used private security contractors to access info on a few suspects iphones.

Though not all models of iPhone are susceptible to these attacks.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,212 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

Try repairing it yourself, could just be the power button which is €1 DIY fix. I assume you've tried the holding the power button down for 20secs to see does it boot. Also check the charging port isn't full of lint or dirt, scrape it out with a pin then try charging it again.
    I'd chance fixing it yourself not a lot to go wrong just be careful of flex cables you don't tear one.

Gazzmonkey wrote: »
    The FBI have successfully used private security contractors to access info on a few suspects iphones.
    Didn't realise they'd found a way. Only remember them asking Apple for help!

Still, safe to say CEX won't be cracking the OP's data any time soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,083 ✭✭✭juneg

So, just an update. I cleaned out the charger. It turns on but wont charge. Stuck now on the apple home screen. Yes I pressed home and power button together.
    I did get a screen saying connect to itunes support/ restore which I did but itunes is not detecting the phone. So basically its stuck on the home screen and not budging. Thanks for replies

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,212 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

Keep cleaning...get the toothbrush out

juneg wrote: »
    So, just an update. I cleaned out the charger. It turns on but wont charge. Stuck now on the apple home screen. Yes I pressed home and power button together.
    I did get a screen saying connect to itunes support/ restore which I did but itunes is not detecting the phone. So basically its stuck on the home screen and not budging. Thanks for replies
    Isn't there some trick like hooking it up to iTunes, and doing a hard reset? Not sure if you tried that.

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201263

I had to do this with an iPad I was restoring recently to get iTunes to connect.

Advertisement