Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

No creche spaces

Options
  • 22-01-2019 12:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 43

Hi there,

I've been looking for a creche space in South Dublin for my 2.5 year old for months now and theres nothing. Just want part time whatever hours going and I'm panicking now I wont find anything. New baby due in April and my partner works abroad. Not sure how to cope with night feeds and a hyper toddler during the day.

I'm sure could get a minder but would like a creche with other kids, he currently has no little friends as no kids in the family yet or in my friend groups!

All of them say no availability this whole year 2019, does anyone know anywhere at all with spaces or is this completely normal and should I applied a long time ago?

Thanks a mill!

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,908 Mod ✭✭✭✭shesty

I would go for the minder if you are stuck.Don't worry about friends.He will be in ECCE soon and will have plenty, and maybe a minder might have other kids, or bring him to some toddler groups or something.Put his name in a few chosen creches, but research minders too and see can you get someone, even if just for short term.Spaces may open up come the summer.You don't need the stress of waiting on creche spaces right now!!

• Registered Users Posts: 776 ✭✭✭afkasurfjunkie

Look for a minder that takes a few kids. My little boy has struck up a great friendship with one of the other boys at his minders. He has a good few pals from there.

• Registered Users Posts: 850 ✭✭✭Cakerbaker

If he’s potty trained maybe try a play school or Montessori. It’s Usually 3 hours in the morning or afternoon. Disadvantage is they’re usually open school terms though as far as I can tell a lot run summer camps too.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,720 ✭✭✭SteM

Hi there,

I've been looking for a creche space in South Dublin for my 2.5 year old for months now and theres nothing. ........
    All of them say no availability this whole year 2019, does anyone know anywhere at all with spaces or is this completely normal and should I applied a long time ago?

Thanks a mill!

Do you mind me asking what part of South Dublin? It seems very strange that they're saying nothing for 2019. The creche business is very flexible, kids drop out all the time for various reasons. Are you visiting the creches in person or emailing or phoning? I assume you're asking to go on waiting lists?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,054 ✭✭✭✭neris

SteM wrote: »
    Do you mind me asking what part of South Dublin? It seems very strange that they're saying nothing for 2019. The creche business is very flexible, kids drop out all the time for various reasons. Are you visiting the creches in person or emailing or phoning? I assume you're asking to go on waiting lists?

Not as flexible as it used to be due to demand and when those kids drop out theres kids on the waiting list to take that place. Ive been saying it for years but the situation with places in creches is going to get out of hand in a few years as theres no suitable buildings available for conversion at reasonable costs and no one is building purpose built creches anymore. I could go on.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,919 ✭✭✭dori_dormer

The problem with part time and creches is it loses them money. They need someone else with exact opposite needs to fill the other time. So much easier to take the full time kids of which there are loads. I'd look for a minder personally it's worked out much better friendship wise and flexibility wise for my boys. Also ecce places fill up fast too so if you want to attend that also youneed to be on all the wait lists too! Its a nightmare!

Advertisement