Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Any suggestions on immigration lawyer?

Options
  • 22-01-2019 1:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 31

Hi guys, have been doing a lot of reading but we have a very unique case.
    I'm a European citizen in my late 30s and have been living in Ireland for the past 15 years. My partner of 10 years plus is Irish.
    I have Canadian blood relatives and we are thinking to join them soon. I could potentially get a transfer through the company I work for but I guess that would only grant a me a working visa, correct? And I would need to wait to become a permanent resident before I could sponsor my partner, have I got this right? We have always been thinking about getting married, would that make things faster or a common law partner and a spouse are treated the same in terms of sponsorship? My family keeps asking if there's anything they can do to help and I know they could be sponsoring me but have no idea what moves to take for my partner. I was thinking to discuss this with an immigration lawyer for advice. Any thoughts from you? Any advice on what to do next? Thank you!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,587 ✭✭✭circular flexing

What relation are the blood relatives? It's unlikely they could sponsor you. You may get extra points under Express Entry though.

For sponsorship of partners, there's no difference in treatment between common law and married

If you get transferred with your company then your partner would be able to get a work permit too. Same for permanent residency, if you applied for PR as the main applicant, your partner would be included on the application as well and then you would both get PR at the same time.

• Registered Users Posts: 31 kyra

What relation are the blood relatives? It's unlikely they could sponsor you. You may get extra points under Express Entry though.

For sponsorship of partners, there's no difference in treatment between common law and married

If you get transferred with your company then your partner would be able to get a work permit too. Same for permanent residency, if you applied for PR as the main applicant, your partner would be included on the application as well and then you would both get PR at the same time.

Hi, thank you so much for replying. It's my mum's sister that would sponsor me,she has been a Canadian citizen for 40 years. So are you saying that if I get transferred through my company, my partner could join at the same time and even get a work permit? I really thought that if I got transferred, they would just grant me with a working visa and that would make me unable to sponsor him. There's no way I could leave him behind after 15 years together!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,587 ✭✭✭circular flexing

kyra wrote: »
    Hi, thank you so much for replying. It's my mum's sister that would sponsor me,she has been a Canadian citizen for 40 years. So are you saying that if I get transferred through my company, my partner could join at the same time and even get a work permit? I really thought that if I got transferred, they would just grant me with a working visa and that would make me unable to sponsor him. There's no way I could leave him behind after 15 years together!

Your aunt cannot sponsor you unless you are her last remaining relative.

And yes if you are transferred by your company then your partner could join you at the same time and would get a work permit for the same length as yours assuming a) your job is considered skilled in Canada see here - https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/immigrate-canada/express-entry/eligibility/find-national-occupation-code.html and b) you can prove that you have been living in a marriage-like relationship for at least one year (usually joint leases, joint bank accounts, life insurance policies naming the other partner as the beneficiary are good ways to prove this)

Advertisement