Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can I just split a wire to power two things?

Options
  • 22-01-2019 2:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,167 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I have a job I want to get done this winter but my usual (and any other I've tried) electrician is too busy to get out to me. Just wondering therefore if it is something I can do myself?

Basically I want to put a heated towel rack into an en suite bathroom. The nearest wiring to it feeds a thermostat located on the bedroom wall which backs exactly on to the bathroom wall where the towel rack is to go.

My question is if I switch off the mains etc, open the thermotstat to find the wiring feeding it, could I split that in two and thus also run wiring into the bathroom (drilling through the wall basically) to wire up the towel rack? Haven't bought any towel rack yet but assume the wiring would go into a switch in the towel rack once bought.

This feasible / a good idea / a bad idea? I'm ok (not bad, not great) with DIY and electrics generally. House is a new build from summer 2017.

Thanks in advance....

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,591 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

I would seriously doubt the power supply brought to run a thermostat would be capable of running what is essentially an electric heater.

This would be a foolish project at best it would cause the mcb to continuously trip but it could actually start an electrical overload fire.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 597 ✭✭✭clfy39tzve8njq

If you have to ask just NO. Electricity is not something you mess with.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,167 ✭✭✭Rebelbrowser

Thanks for replies. Appreciate the honesty. I think we can treat this thread as over!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,952 ✭✭✭✭Stoner

Thanks for replies. Appreciate the honesty. I think we can treat this thread as over!

Ok rebel, for the record you couldn't do what you are asking anyway.

Advertisement