Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Tv aerial - 5 points. Cost

• 22-01-2019 2:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭

Hi, I’ve a new build and want to put in an aerial for RTÉ and I’ve 5 points in the house. He is looking about 345 for it, is that around ok. I think it’s a lot. Or around 500 if I want a satellite to include bbc. Is this ok? Or will I just use rabbits ears type thing

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,040 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

rebel333 wrote: »
    Hi, I’ve a new build and want to put in an aerial for RTÉ and I’ve 5 points in the house. He is looking about 345 for it, is that around ok. I think it’s a lot. Or around 500 if I want a satellite to include bbc. Is this ok? Or will I just use rabbits ears type thing

Unless you are close to the terrestrial transmitter you will need an aerial correctly fitted and aligned.
    You could of course buy a cheap indoors (non amplified) aerial and try it in each of the 5 locations.
    If it works then buy 4 more.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,852 ✭✭✭Ten Pin

A new build with lots of insulation probably won't allow much signal through for an indoor aerial.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 170 ✭✭bulbs2010

that sounds ok for the install

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,708 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

What are you getting for the €345? I assume the 5 points are already cabled with faceplates in the new build.

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭rebel333

The Cush wrote: »
    What are you getting for the €345? I assume the 5 points are already cabled with faceplates in the new build.

Yes already cabled, so I wasn’t expecting it to be this expensive

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭rebel333

Unless you are close to the terrestrial transmitter you will need an aerial correctly fitted and aligned.
    You could of course buy a cheap indoors (non amplified) aerial and try it in each of the 5 locations.
    If it works then buy 4 more.

I’d rather not, it’s cabled so I’d like it beater by getting an aerial

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,485 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

That seems very expensive, does installer know House is precabled for terrestrial and sat (Assuming it is for both)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,708 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

Yes already cabled, so I wasn’t expecting it to be this expensive

Have the TV points been terminated with faceplates? Have the cables from the various TV points been terminated with co-ax plugs? Is there a cable in place from the aerial fixing point to the location where the signal will be distributed to the TV points?

Expensive in my opinion if the above are already in place. A standard aerial, aerial fixing and distribution amp off the shelf would be no more than €100 plus labour. Basically it depends on what work has to be done and time involved.

Advertisement