Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can I top these trees?

Options
  • 22-01-2019 9:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 37

Hi All,

Long time chainsaw user - first time tree topper

I have these trees boarding my property and I want to take them down about 25%

Is it as easy as I think - i.e. pick a level and cut via the main trunk of the tree? I want to mitigate the risk of killing the entire tree.

I have the ability to dispose of cuttings so no issue there.

0KZmx5g.jpg

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

Marcevo190 wrote: »
    Hi All,

Is it as easy as I think - i.e. pick a level and cut via the main trunk of the tree? I want to mitigate the risk of killing the entire tree.

I have the ability to dispose of cuttings so no issue there...

Should be fine - though you may find the tops of the trees quite whippy. Depending on the leading branches etc and how much want to cut you may need to use something like a good petrol hedgecutter. Don't cut too far or they will look bare on top.

I would also add be very very careful- there is
    a rather fast looking dog hiding behind that wall :D

• Site Banned Posts: 512 ✭✭✭Dakotabigone

Trim the side up another couple of feet and level the top off. It’s giving nice privacy.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,760 ✭✭✭Effects

The branches are likely to be growing upwards, so where you cut the trunk won't be the same as the finished level you want.
    What are you using to bring you up to the level you want to cut at. You need to be very careful.

• Registered Users Posts: 768 ✭✭✭Roadtoad

Leylandii will never look right if they are topped into the brown wood, which you suggest. Likewise you can continue to keep the lower sides in control, but could not 'recover' the upper sides. All or nothing, root them out and plant a beech or yew, or other species which can be trimmed aggressivly.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,760 ✭✭✭Effects

Roadtoad wrote: »
    Leylandii will never look right if they are topped into the brown wood, which you suggest.

Yeah, I've got some on family land. No one would let me cut them when they should have been cut. Now they're about ten metres tall, blocking the sun and need to be cut. They won't look pretty afterwards.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 885 ✭✭✭celticbhoy27

Marcevo190 wrote: »
    Hi All,

I have the ability to dispose of cuttings so no issue there.

0KZmx5g.jpg

Topping the trees will cause no issues, trust me. I did exactly as you plan to do around 5 years ago. Mine were higher again and I reduced them to 6 foot. Only suggestion I'd make is top them to around a foot below what you Intend the ultimate height to be. They'll quickly recover.

• Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭Flipperdipper

Are the trees on your property, your neighbours or are they forming the boundary? If they;re on your property you can cut away but I'd tell the neighbour first as a matter of courtesy. If they form the boundary or are on your neighbours property then negotiations need to take place. Good luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,195 ✭✭✭GrumpyMe

Some will disagree but I think Leylandii are best trimmed to ground level.

Advertisement