Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Insuring a car just to keep NCB

Options
  • 22-01-2019 10:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭

Hi

I haven't had a car insurance policy for nearly 2 years, now i know that to keep my full NCB i will have to have a policy within 2 years, the reason i haven't had a car is i spend a lot of time abroad and when i'm home i just rent out a car as it's usually cheap, i still have a car in ireland in my name could i just insure that before my old policy hits the 2 year lapse and then suspend it in a few weeks as i'm not going to be driving the car during this year, i just want o keep my driving record or else whenever i will go back driving my NCB will be gone.

The 2year lapse will be at the end of this month and i have got an ok quote online,

Will there be any problems doing this as the car the is not going to be on the road?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,350 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

Are you still resident in Ireland? Doesn’t sound like it and therefore you’ll find it hard to obtain a legitimate/valid policy.

• Registered Users Posts: 82,784 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Some insurers insist on the car having valid NCT and tax, others don't, could be worth checking this with them before taking out a policy.

who will ever know if the cars off the road?
    loads of people insure licence plates

• Registered Users Posts: 6,372 ✭✭✭iwillhtfu

I was doing that myself for a good while car parked on the drive it got to the point where I didn't bother with NCT or tax as I have a company vehicle. I think I did it for 3 years then figured it was a waste of time and money. A ridiculous requirement which makes no sense at all to be honest.

iwillhtfu wrote: »
    I was doing that myself for a good while car parked on the drive it got to the point where I didn't bother with NCT or tax as I have a company vehicle. I think I did it for 3 years then figured it was a waste of time and money. A ridiculous requirement which makes no sense at all to be honest.

you only have to do it every 3rd year

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,372 ✭✭✭iwillhtfu

you only have to do it every 3rd year

Ah only if you plan on junking the car as they're not big fans of sitting there doing nothing for a long time. It was also used from time to time I think I was paying €380 TPFT. I think insurance in general needs an overhaul over here as many have said previously insurance should be linked to the driver not the car.

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭oceancat

well i just took the policy out with 123.ie. 322 euro TPFT, i will suspend it in a few weeks, the car is kept in a garage so no chance of it being on the road.

anytime i have been coming back to ireland in the last few months i have been hiring out a car, i just had a hire car for the last 3 weeks just under 5 Euro a day it was costing so cheap.

Advertisement