Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

River Liffey ferry

Options
  • 22-01-2019 10:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,200 ✭✭✭

A small passenger ferry is to be introduced to ferry people across the Liffey.

It will be from the convention centre area across the river and back across to close to the Point/ 3Arena.

There was a regular ferry across the river until the East Link opened in the mid '80's.

Does anyone remember a small yellow coloured ferry operating in this area a couple of years ago.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,831 ✭✭✭Alkers

2e a pop

• Registered Users Posts: 30,136 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Don't remember the yellow ferry.

Have see the Dublin Bay cruise ship, there was a Liffey safari speedboat, and a low slung red tourist sightseeing boat that fits underneath O'Connell Bridge.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 68,806 ✭✭✭✭L1011

There was a private ferry pre-Samuel Beckett but after the first few businesses had started moving to the Castleforbes area. Think it continued for 3Arena gig nights for a little longer after that.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,871 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

L1011 wrote: »
    There was a private ferry pre-Samuel Beckett but after the first few businesses had started moving to the Castleforbes area. Think it continued for 3Arena gig nights for a little longer after that.
    Its website is still up. Last day of service 11th December 2009.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,525 ✭✭✭cgcsb

2 new pedestrian bridges down there will end that surely? I wonder would it be any use from Heuston to the IFSC. With no stops it could be a quicker alternative to bus/luas, which can take up to 20 minutes for that journey.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,023 ✭✭✭Greentree_uk

think €2 is a bit steep, for a minor inconvenience. they say it could be up to a mile walk, but thats a bit exaggerated. and with that we walk a mile in 15 mins or so. the boat will save 4/5 mins in the end by time u wait and get on/off. I've no need for it anyway, will be interesting to see just how much use it gets..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,740 ✭✭✭Foweva Awone

I'll probably give it a go with the young lad, he'd love the novelty of it!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,229 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

I think €2 a trip isn't bad. The hours of operation though rules out it being used for leisure spins of for people say wining and dining around the docklands before a show or gig at the O2. Maybe wouldn't do a whole lot of business outside of an hour or two window anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 82,599 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Surpised they can do it for €2, insurance costs would be massive.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,485 ✭✭✭Fighting Tao

I think it's crazy and will only be used as a novelty. It is only a short walk (although people are often lazy), it doesn't save much time, and the area is also serviced by Dublin bikes and bleeper bikes. It'll probably be gone within 6 months.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,933 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

I hope they take contactless, I rarely have coins on me these days.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,719 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

It's a historic boat that needed saving before it went to the breakers yard, Dublin Port shovelled a bit of money at it to tick their Corporate social responsibility box and now I read that underprivileged city kids (TM) will be able to learn the ropes (!) and get a bit of maritime training on it. It'll be around for a couple of years and then quietly fade away, or so the Dublin Port guy interviewed on TV yesterday intimated.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,969 ✭✭✭✭GBX

Saw something yesterday about leap card being accepted.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,054 ✭✭✭✭neris

cgcsb wrote: »
    2 new pedestrian bridges down there will end that surely? I wonder would it be any use from Heuston to the IFSC. With no stops it could be a quicker alternative to bus/luas, which can take up to 20 minutes for that journey.

I think at low tide the river gets shallow the further you go up near heuston

• Registered Users Posts: 17,965 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

neris wrote: »
    I think at low tide the river gets shallow the further you go up near heuston

Very shallow, can see the mountains of trolleys!

• Registered Users Posts: 30,136 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Does it just go point to point or does it take the scenic route? If it's trying to attract tourists the latter might make more sense.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 12,214 Mod ✭✭✭✭miamee

Hurrache wrote: »
    I think €2 a trip isn't bad. The hours of operation though rules out it being used for leisure spins of for people say wining and dining around the docklands before a show or gig at the O2. Maybe wouldn't do a whole lot of business outside of an hour or two window anyway.

I was thinking it might be good for parking on the northside and heading over to the BGET for a show example but I haven't seen the operating hours.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,602 Mod ✭✭✭✭artanevilla

odyssey06 wrote: »
    Does it just go point to point or does it take the scenic route? If it's trying to attract tourists the latter might make more sense.

I think it's about function rather than touristy.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,485 ✭✭✭Fighting Tao

Here she is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,907 ✭✭✭Stephen15

loyatemu wrote: »
    I hope they take contactless, I rarely have coins on me these days.

I believe you'll be able to use a leap card on it. It seems like a bit of a waste and will only be a novelty until it wears off can't see it lasting long at all.

• Advertisement
Advertisement