Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

google home routines

Options
  • 22-01-2019 10:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 827 ✭✭✭

Hi all, cant seem to find the answer to this but thats likely because its nor available yet.
    Can i set google home with the routine bedtime. I want to give one command and the lights all go to a pre defined setting i.e some off and some dim etc. Is this possible?
    Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭The high horse brigade

Hi all, cant seem to find the answer to this but thats likely because its nor available yet.
    Can i set google home with the routine bedtime. I want to give one command and the lights all go to a pre defined setting i.e some off and some dim etc. Is this possible?
    Thanks

It's already there, it's one of the ready made default routines, just configure it in the Google home app

• Registered Users Posts: 1,606 ✭✭✭THE ALM

If you can't do it directly from the home app you could use stringify.

I use a couple at night, one of which I can do all through the home app and the other required the use of stringify as well.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,794 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

One advantage of using Stringify, is that you can use the same routines across different platforms and devices.

For instance, you can use the same routines on both Google Assistant and Echo's if you have them both. Or call them from SmartThings hub.

I haven't tried yet, but I think there are even hacks to get it working with Siri.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,867 ✭✭✭donspeekinglesh

Another great advatage of Stringify is you can use it for timers. Turn a light on for a while, and then off. Google Routines are just on or off

• Registered Users Posts: 1,606 ✭✭✭THE ALM

Another great advatage of Stringify is you can use it for timers. Turn a light on for a while, and then off. Google Routines are just on or off

That is an area the is lacking with the Google routines for sure and one of the reasons I use stringify for some of the routines I have.

I set up an Echo Dot for the mother over christmas and notice this feature is available through alexa which is great.

• Advertisement

Also you can integrate IFTTT with both Stringify and Google home to make more complex routines. It's not as powerful as Stringify but it has its uses.

I have a situation in my home where I have 2 Harmony hubs. I can only link one with Google Assistant so I use Stringify to link the second and created the 4 Harmony activities in Stringify and have routines created in Google Assistant calling the Stringify activities.

This allows me create a "listen to music" routine that uses Harmony in 2 rooms to turn on and set two surround receivers to Chromecast audio line in (and also to 2x stereo sound setting) to be available along with a Google home in another room as Chromecast audio group for music throughout the house.

• Registered Users Posts: 827 ✭✭✭studdlymurphy

Im missing something with the google home app i cant see where to set up the routines. Ill have a go with stringify tomorrow to see if i can get any joy. Thanks for the help and pointers

Im missing something with the google home app i cant see where to set up the routines. Ill have a go with stringify tomorrow to see if i can get any joy. Thanks for the help and pointers

It's one of the icons at the top of the page in the home tab. Open it, there's an option to manage at the bottom

Advertisement