Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Choke question.

• 22-01-2019 11:45pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,004 ✭✭✭

If going from 28g to 32g load would it be safe to open up the choke a bit and still get a decent pattern.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,070 ✭✭✭cavan shooter

Define opening the choke a bit. I shoot 32g 6s in the game gun 1/4 and LM.
    Shoot 28g 7.5 in the clay gun 1/4 and 1/4 mostly no issues there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,004 ✭✭✭minktrapper

Define opening the choke a bit. I shoot 32g 6s in the game gun 1/4 and LM.
    Shoot 28g 7.5 in the clay gun 1/4 and 1/4 mostly no issues there.

I am using a 3/4 choke at the moment and using 28g cartridges. So I am wondering if I used a quarter choke and 32g would I get a similar pattern only a wider spread of lead and therefore a higher chance of a kill.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,070 ✭✭✭cavan shooter

That's a bit tight.onky time I'd use 3/4 Is after ducks and it's in case they got up wild. I think you'd be grand coming down a bit. A lot of old side by side were cylinder and 1/4 choke in a 1 ounce load. For years in my automatic I'd have half choke, but leaned to light modified since 2016 when I picked one up.
    It's more a out confidence and knowing what you can do and what your gun can do. Your torture yourself. Go out and pattern the gun for a few loads and choke combinations.

Advertisement